Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Natsu 2021

Takakeishou is training. Today, he trained for an hour and a half, fundamentals, checked his tachiai eight times, then back to the teppole, push-ups,  and more fundamentals. He escaped kadoban last basho and took a week off for recreation after the basho and has started training from last week. "I can only gambarize and train. I don't know if i'll be joining the joint keiko, it will depend on my condition," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

OTOH, Shoudai is now kadoban for his second time.. He trained today as well, fundamentals only. "I did some sumo on Saturday and yesterday against the Makushita guys, about 10 bouts.  It's not my first kadoban. Last time I was  really scared.. But I'll be 30 years old this year and not so young anymore.. I just want to go about it looking good and not go on the defensive, Kadoban guys are strong.." he said. Last time he went kadoban he escaped with an 11-4 and was involved in the yusho race.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Takakeishou-training with fundamentals, working on his lower body, no sumo yet. "When i feel the time is right..  I can only give it my all."

Takanoshou was working on his lower body as well, narrowly getting his kachikoshi after going 6-7. "I think I need to work on my lower body more, otherwise it will not be good.. I felt that during the basho.."

YAWN.

• Like 2

Asanoyama has been training as well. He won the yusho two years ago in May as a rank and filer. "I think the thrill of winning a yusho as a Maegashira or as an Ozeki is totally different.. I want to properly get that yusho.." he said. He intends to enter the Kyokai's training camp, starting on next Monday. He has been doing sumo training since the 12th. He had more than thirty bouts against Makushita and underlings today. Next basho they will be four Ozeki. "I need to get past the first half without losing.." At the beginning of this month he returned to his hometown for the first time since becoming Ozeki ."I think sumo is about having strong ties with your hometown. That's what brings about supporters and fans.. I will not forget these feelings of gratitude.." he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Takanoshou was working on his lower body as well, narrowly getting his kachikoshi after going 6-7. "I think I need to work on my lower body more, otherwise it will not be good.. I felt that during the basho.."

Did Takanosho get promoted to ozeki too? (Blinking...)

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Too much yawning.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 2

Kadoban Ozeki Shoudai trained at home-13 bouts  against Makushita and unders. He will be entering the Kyokai training camp from the day after tomorrow, when it starts. "It would be great to check out how my body responds and how my tachiai is. I'd like to do as much sumo as I possibly can.. " he said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 15/04/2021 at 21:56, Seiyashi said:

New Kyokai rule - every non-japanese promotee has to be in tandem with a Japanese one. That way we'll be sure to get a Japanese yokozuna at some point ;-)

• Haha 4

It just so happens that the last day of the semester for me coincides with degeiko practice, so I will here more than I have been the past couple of weeks. According to Sports Hochi, Ozeki Asanoyama scored a decisive 12 - 3 against Shodai. At the tachiai, they seemed evenly matched, but Shodai was unable to mount any significant offensive, winning. Here's what they have to say...

408691832_Screenshot2021-04-19at3_32_30PM.png.29a517d60c3a13556121290ee5806d1c.png

Shodai, with a frustrated look on his face, said, "I'm being held up so I need to work on my footwork. My sumo was a little one-sided today, so I need to make adjustments in the period leading up to the tournament. It's no use thinking about [my kadoban status], so I'll just do what I can for now, and I hope to adjust to the tournament as best I can. Compared to the last time I was here, I feel like there are fewer people. It's can't be helped, it's what I can do for now and will have matches against other rikishi." 

Yokozuna Hakuho and Ozeki Takakeisho are absent. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I would like to officially welcome Terunofuji to this thread. Welcome, Terunofuji. Again. He trained at home today - 15 bouts or so. "I'm getting better. If I get good results  I can become a Yokozuna,  and if I don't make it, it would mean I did not gambarize enough. If I go about it as usual, it will be good.  There is only one thing I haven't experienced yet.. I would really like to see how that feels at least once , and would like to reach the end of my career satisfied that I achieved this.. " he said, in a deep,. quiet voice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is there any sign that Hakuho is still alive?

Edited by Asojima

Sports Hochi reported on Takekeisho today, who did not go for degeiko, choosing to remain at Tokiwayama-beya, doing basic exercises for two hours. In the first 30 minutes, he practiced his shiko, squats, suriashi, tepoo, push-ups and squats on one leg. "I have some theme about what I need to do now. It's not good to do everything half-heartedly. The foundation is hardest bit. I am going to finish and build my body up to shoinichi. I hope to improve my sumo instincts little by little." 

uIRNDhG.png

mYTJ4HU.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shoudai trained at home against Yutakayama, after a week's hiatus. "Around 10 bouts, I lost something like three..  " he said. Due to the keiko-ba dohyo being serviced, he has just been doing some fundamentals these last few days. "It's been a while, so I decided to go about it while checking out my senses, " he added, making do with the ten bouts. The first three days of Natsu will be without spectators at the venue. Last year, the May tournament was canceled. "I'm just glad we are having the tournament at all.. I intend to turn the fact that we are holding the tournament into a positive thing. when I first experienced a basho with no spectators last March I was somewhat bewildered but I've had that experience already so I think it will be alright. The fans will return on day four I guess, so it doesn't really bother me. now that we have four Ozeki, I feel it will be very exciting. I hope to be involved in the yusho race. Terunofuji is about my age and we have trained before. I think we will be conscious of each other's presence, as we are of the same age more or less. We both feel strongly about losing, I think," he said. "I've got to escape my kadoban status, whatever happens and that is my goal. I don't want to be overly conscious of it and get stiff. I want to go about it calmly. I need to work on my tachiai and my first step. If my tachiai will be good, my sumo will follow, " he summed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Asanoyama spoke to the press today after training. "It was always obvious that the fans were there, but then last March they weren't, and it was lonely up there. Win or lose, there was no applause, so I have learned yet again the importance of their presence.  At my rank, I need to go for the yusho. I have got to get a proper record. The spectators give me a lot of strength, so I hope they will be back on day four. I'll just have to concentrate on each bout and the question is how I'll cope.." he said.

He also said how wonderful it was to face all kinds of sekitori at the Kyokai training camp and that he needs to work on his grips etc.. etc.. Just read prior interviews with him-they're all the same more or more.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 20/04/2021 at 01:52, Asojima said:

Is there any sign that Hakuho is still alive?

D3waRWj.png

From Miyagino-beya's Instagram. It sure seems like Hakuho is currently training and in good spirits, thanking the sun for another day as a Yokozuna. There isn't very much of them left, I think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I am very busy getting back to work again in a country where everything is back to normal, I give you this offering from Google translate. I hope you can appreciate all of our translators' efforts even more after reading this. The fork is recuperating. 

Yokozuna Hakuho, who had an operation on his right knee in March and is expected to be closed for six consecutive places in the summer, sweated by stepping on his fork for the first time after surgery in a room in Tokyo.

His master Miyagino's master (former Makuuchi Chikubayama) revealed.  Intention to move forward and backward at the Nagoya location in July.  After the operation, he tried to rehabilitate and the progress was good.  Regarding Yokozuna, who is in a difficult situation, he said, "I think he knows best. He just tries to get a good sumo."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

15 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

As I am very busy getting back to work again in a country where everything is back to normal, I give you this offering from Google translate. I hope you can appreciate all of our translators' efforts even more after reading this. The fork is recuperating. 

Yokozuna Hakuho, who had an operation on his right knee in March and is expected to be closed for six consecutive places in the summer, sweated by stepping on his fork for the first time after surgery in a room in Tokyo.

His master Miyagino's master (former Makuuchi Chikubayama) revealed.  Intention to move forward and backward at the Nagoya location in July.  After the operation, he tried to rehabilitate and the progress was good.  Regarding Yokozuna, who is in a difficult situation, he said, "I think he knows best. He just tries to get a good sumo."

I understand this completely, the same english is spoken in my household  :'-(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

As Mark Hamill recommended once to Homer Simpson, "Homer, use the for.......k"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm shocked by the poor grammar more than anything, especially from reputable members of the media.  Did he step on his fork in the room in Tokyo, or did he have his surgery there?  It doesn't make clear.(Detective...)

• Haha 1

Hakuho is kyujo again but don't see it announced anywhere else on this forum.

Link

Edited by Kaninoyama

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Hakuho is kyujo again but don't see it announced anywhere else on this forum.

Link

It was already assumed as the time given for his recovery took him past the May basho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

It was already assumed as the time given for his recovery took him past the May basho.

Now that you mention it I remember that was the case, but the official announcement set off a Twitter storm of reports that made it sound like a big deal. 

Here's hoping he makes it back for Nagoya. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

"Terunofuji inured his knee last basho but soldiered on. Lately he has not been able to train much, so he has no choice but to do the best he can under the circumstances. I don't know how much he will gambarize, but upon his entering the basho I would like him to uphold his Ozeki responsibility.. I would like him to aim at the least for double-digit wins.." said his Oyakata Isegahama, head of the Judging Department.

On Hakuhou: "The Yokozuna is kyujo, huh? I'd like for the Ozeki to gambarize and vie for the yusho. Hakuhou has been out for so long we can't expect anything from him. Rather than concern ourselves with Hakuhou doing this or that, I would like the Ozeki camp to get promoted to Yokozuna quickly.. I'd like the guys under Ozeki to do their best to try to overtake the current Ozeki as well. We can't make a banzuke thinking about those that are not entering.  " he added.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That's what we need, a new yokozuna with a busted knee from gambarizing for the Ozeki responsibilities.

4 minutes ago, Morning said:

That's what we need, a new yokozuna with a busted knee from gambarizing for the Ozeki responsibilities.

His knees were busted already a long time ago.