Jejima

The Bench Euros 2020 (taking place in 2021)

Group B - Refioji Godango

An exciting opening round for Group B, with an intra-family clash followed by the battled between the Jejima-proclaimed 'Group Favourites'.

Match 1 will include all teams, while Match 2 sees both Turkey and Hungary out of the chain. 

Best of luck to all competitors! I may not be able to update day-by-date but will certainly be chiming in at the conclusion of each round/when all chains are broken.

Match 1   Match 2
Fujiko (Denmark) vs Kaba (Finland)   Athenayama (Belgium) vs Nekonishiki (Russia)
Denmark (R)   Belgium (C)   Spain (N)   Netherlands (N)
England (N)   Spain (N)   Austria (N)   Poland (N)
Germany (N)   Denmark (N)   Belgium (R)   Belgium (N)
Italy (N)   Austria (N)   Italy (N)   Germany (N)
Ukraine (C)   Italy (N)   Croatia (N)   Croatia (C)
Hungary (N)   Switzerland (N)   Turkey (N)   Turkey (N)
Finland (N)   Sweden (N)   Finland (C)   Russia (R)
Wales (N)   Finland (R)   Sweden (N)   Slovakia (N)
Switzerland (N)   North Macedonia (N)   Hungary (N)   Hungary (N)
Comment:   Comment:   Comment:   Comment:
Good luck Felix!   I'm going to win, mummy!   This is only day 1 and choices are tough already! I don't even want to imagine what comes after. I'm just a beginner at this game facing more experienced players let's try to do our best (trying to release the pressure Jejima put on me, naming me as one of the favorites in this group...)   Hopefully this line-up won't be a total disappointment. Nice to meet Athenayama on the green dohyo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kuma-Koma said:

@Nekonishiki Banji I think we have never cheered for Netherlands this much. ;-)

Do you have ever cheered so little for Hungary too? ;-)
(Question to both as you have them last or almost last in your line ups!)

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Athenayama said:

Do you have ever cheered so little for Hungary too? ;-)
(Question to both as you have them last or almost last in your line ups!)

Cheering for them and putting them to the last slot are two different things. ;-) 

But I would be satisfied with such a match than 5 years ago, when Portugal never led but equalized all the time. :-) 

Edited by Nekonishiki Banji

8 minutes ago, Nekonishiki Banji said:

Cheering for them and putting them to the last slot are two different things. ;-) 

But I would be satisfied with such a match than 5 years ago, when Portugal never led but equalized all the time. :-) 

Of course, I understand. I was only kidding anyway . I'm cheering 100% for Tsitsipas tomorrow but I wouldn't bet any money on him against Djokovic. Way too risky...

Posted (edited)
On 12/06/2021 at 10:38, Kuma-Koma said:

@Nekonishiki Banji I think we have never cheered for Netherlands this much. ;-)

Aah, yes, rooting for the Netherlands...

Well, here's my perspective on the odds of my home country in this tournament. Let's see in the end how well Ye-Olde-Crystal-Ball (TM) did in predicting their fate in Euro 2020. Do with this whatever you want everyone, but remember - both Ye-Olde-Crystal-Ball (TM) and I have been know to be wrong in times past! ;-)

If you take the average of all major betting companies the Netherlands are currently in 8th place to win Euro 2020 and the odds are said to be somewhere between 20 to 1 and 14 to 1 of them "going all the way".

As someone who follows them somewhat closely I would be surprised, however, if they get past the round of 16 (octofinals) this time, and I would more realistically rank them closer to the midfield of the 24 countries that are participating (somewhere between 10th and 14th).

Now you already know my opinion on tomorrow's match of the Netherlands v. Ukraine. I see that as finishing in a draw, with a slight edge to the Netherlands. Netherlands and Ukraine have only faced each other twice, and those were two friendly matches. The first took place in Rotterdam on May 24th, 2008 and was a clear 3-0 victory for the Dutch. I vaguely remember that match, and it looked liked none of the Ukrainian players were taking the match seriously. Only one player (goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg) is left from that Netherlands squad. The second match with Ukraine, which took place in Donetsk on the 11th of August 2010, ended in a 2-2 1-1 draw. No one from that Dutch squad is part of the current selection anymore. The Ukrainian goalkeeper from that match, Andrey Pyatov, is still in the current squad, but now as the 2nd goalkeeper.

In the start of the qualifications for the 2022 World Cup and the practice campaign this year, and with Frank the Boer taking over as head coach of the Netherlands (the older among you may remember that Frank was a solid defender during his active days as a player, making his name mainly for Ajax and Barcelona) the careful and slow (some, me included, say way too slow) build-up [also know as the "tikkie breed" (pass-to-the-side) system of coach Dick Advocaat] seems to have returned to the team of "Oranje". You may all Google how well "we" have done in the past when he was the head coach of the Netherlands... Let me say this to help you with that if you should feel so inclined - Dick Advocaat (aka the "Little General") was head coach of the Netherlands from 1992-1994, from 2002-2004 and in 2017 (briefly)....

If the Netherlands get past the group stage and finish 1st in Group C, their octofinals opponent will be a 3rd placed country from groups D, E or F - so from group D that could be Scotland, or Czech republic (I see Croatia and England battling for 1st and 2nd place in Group D); from group E that could be Sweden or Poland (I think Spain will win that group and Slovakia will likely finish 4th); and from group F that could be Portugal or Germany (France should finish 1st in that group and Hungary last).

So if Netherlands get past round 1 and get really lucky they will either face Scotland, Sweden or Germany. They could potentially beat Scotland (Netherlands drew 1-1 with Scotland in the practice campaign only a week (?) or so ago in a dreadful game), in my opinion they are about equally strong as Sweden (I feel a match like that could really go either way) and in current form the Netherlands will have quite a hard time against Germany, even in this game will take place in Amsterdam (which it will if Netherlands finish 1st in group C).

If the Netherlands get past the group stage and finish 2nd in Group C (either behind Ukraine or Austria), their octofinals opponent will be the winner of Group A, which after last night's opening game, you will agree looks very much to be Italy. Historically and looking at current form in the past 2 years the odds of the Netherlands progressing against Italy to a potential quarter finals are not good (to say the least). FYI, the Netherlands last faced Italy at home in September 2020  in the UEFA Nations League, and while Italy only won 0-1 the Netherlands should have been slaughtered in that match and never stood much of a chance.

If the Netherlands get past the group stage and finish 3rd in Group C (likely behind Ukraine and Austria), their octofinals opponent will be either the winners of group F (France?) in which case I don't see the Netherlands as having much of a chance (in the last 6 matches, all taking place between 2014 and 2018, France won 5 times, the Netherlands 1) , or the winners of group E (Spain?).  And while some of you might still remember the Netherlands meeting Spain in the 2010 World Cup Grand final (Spain won 1-0 in extra time by an Andres Iniesta goal after a rather boring but incredibly physical match),

https://youtu.be/aKSHgMqCwbQ

or the rather surprising match of the Netherlands against Spain (who were reigning World Champions at the time) during the group stage of the 2014 World Cup (13 of June 2014) that ended in an equally surprising as it was one sided 5-1 victory for the Netherlands...

https://youtu.be/C2XTUkcpgOs

This is not that kind of level Dutch team...

Kind regards from the Netherlands,

Chijanofuji

Edited by Chijanofuji
correction

18 minutes ago, Chijanofuji said:

Aah, yes, rooting for the Netherlands...

I'll add only one thing further to your detailed analysis. Memphis Depay for the winner goal tomorrow....

52 minutes ago, Athenayama said:

I'll add only one thing further to your detailed analysis. Memphis Depay for the winner goal tomorrow....

Yes, Memphis is one of the better players (and probably the best attacker) in the current Dutch team.

Posted (edited)

Big drama during the game Denmark-Finland. The danish player Eriksen fell down unconscious. Heart problem probably. Match has been interrupted and doubtul to be resumed. I' very pessismistic about his life. I'm prarying to be wrong.... This is a tragedy.

Heart massage for long minutes on the field, then transported with a stretcher. Pfff tragic. I had tears in my eyes watching this. All his team mates were around him praying and crying.

Edited by Athenayama

It seems he woke up ! He's in hospital but it seems conscious. Hope all will end well. Game is suspended.

From the BBC
18:33 (UK time)

Eriksen is awake

The Danish FA says Christian Eriksen is awake and waiting more tests in hospital.

Posted (edited)

Match will be resumed at 20h30 local time (in Copenhaguen).

Eriksen is awake and can talk.... Damn. All the best to him ! What a scary sight it was  to see him fall with dead eyes ! Hopefully all will end well.

Edited by Athenayama

From the BBC

NEW

Posted at 19:1719:17

Post update

Denmark 0-0 Finland

It will be five minutes of the first half left to play, not four as that Uefa tweet initially said.

Then a five-minute break. Then the second half.

The game restarts at 19:30 BST. (That's UK time).

On 11/06/2021 at 20:50, Jakusotsu said:

Ganzohnesushi:  1. Spain, 2. Denmark, 3. Netherlands ©, 4. Belgium, 5. Switzerland, 6. Poland, 7. Austria ®, 8. North Macedonia, 9. Slovakia
vs
Joaoiyama:  1. France ©, 2. Netherlands, 3. Switzerland, 4. Poland, 5. Finland, 6. Germany, 7. North Macedonia ®, 8. Wales, 9. Denmark

No Danish Dynamite vs. Suomi... Even my 12 year old daughter would have performed better from the penalty spot... (Shakinghead...)   Anyhow, after 42 minutes the game has lost its importance. I'm just glad to hear Christian Eriksen is stable and awake.

Ganzohnesushi

• Like 2

Group E - Refioji Nekonishiki
Round 1 - Day 2

We were excited about this day and what a sad day it became.
The camera showed the stadium, all visitors stayed at their place and waited for the news.
Finnish fans shouted "Christian!" and the Danish fans answered "Eriksen!" and they continued it for long minutes.
It was so touching, I got goose bumps.

Djodjoyoshi vs Chijanofuji

Djodjoyoshi gets two draws in the first match of the day, but only one may be counted, the other one will not be for sure, because his chain will be broken in Slot #4 at latest. Because Denmark lost and Finland won in this unfortunate, extra-long match.

Djodjoyoshi has to wait until Tuesday to see what will happen in his Slot #1 and if he can score that potential goal in #2.
And Chijanofuji until Monday to know if his chain breaks in Slot #1 or #2. But anything can happen yet.

Achiyama vs Ojisan

Achiyama has a potentional goal in #2, too.
Two draws are waiting lower, but it's very unlikely to get them (0 goals anyway). 

Ojisan gets a winner but too late.

Achiyama enthusiastically cheers for Netherlands tomorrow, too. ;-)

EC2021_Round_1_Day_2.jpg

Color coding:

colorcode.jpg

Posted (edited)

GROUP F round 1, day 2.

First of all, my thoughts go to Christian Eriksen for a quick recovery. Fortunately the guy is alive otherwise I wouldn't have had the strength to refioji today.
So le'ts see the line ups situation for our players.

image.png.504444a5ed75b054a91984d1d03c30ef.png

It was a good day for Chishafuwaku with 2 wins (Belgium, Finand) and one draw (Wales). Denmark's loss today is dramatic for Godango. If Portugal doesn't lose the 3 points will go to Chishafuwaku. It's still early but Chishafuwaku has definitely the upper hand. As Portugal plays only on the last day of round 1 (June 15th) we'll have to wait anyway!

Tomorrow Godango will rely on England and Austria to give him some hopes for the future. Chishafuwaku will count on Croatia (facing England!) and North Macedonia (facing Austria!) to hit another blow and Ukraine.  

image.png.c610952830281fe8d2d96ead179de102.png

Here also the result of the match Denmark - Finland will probably be crucial for the final outcome. Fingall will need a bad result of France otherwise Terarno will grab the 3 points. We'll also have to wait June 15th to see what France will do vs Germany. For the time being Terarno feels strong.

Tomorrow Terarno will wait to see how North Macedonia and Croatia will do, even if I doubt the chains will remain unbroken till the ninth team. Fingall has an "intra team" match (Netherlands-Ukraine) which will not really help him.

In one word? Exciting ! 

Edited by Athenayama

Good action on a day which will be remembered for a long time...

Thanks god Christian Eriksen is in a better condition (Bow...)

The 1st Match of Group A came up with 2 Goals !

With Spot 1 Nantonoyama took the 1-0 lead, but in return Baku equalised with a brilliant move using the surprising win of Finland.

Everything is possible in that Match

Tomorrow only Croatia and North Macedonia will be on the pitch, Baku Spot 4, Nanto Spot 7 + 9

image.png.02acd29c3fc17884957b62fcb6ca7c9c.png

The second Match didn't see any goals yet, but some green, yellow and also red markers in the lower spots

But tomorrow the Netherlands and Austria will fill the 1st spot

Will we see the 1st goal ???

image.png.dc2ee4322cfa36af771cbdd58b57ee1d.png

Pitinosato

Couldn't watch any matches today, so I only read about Eriksen here right now, somewhat dampening my delight in Finland's win. :-(

Game 1:

Ganzohnesushi        0:0     Joaoiyama
(Austria)                    (North Macedonia)

Spain                 :      France ©
Denmark           L   :      Netherlands
Netherlands ©         :   D  Switzerland
Belgium           W   :      Poland
Switzerland       D   :   W  Finland
Poland                :      Germany
Austria ®             :      North Macedonia ®
North Macedonia       :   D  Wales
Slovakia              :   L  Denmark

Joaoiyama's placement of Finland and Denmark was prophetic, leaving Ganzohnesushi hoping for a loss by France.

Game 2:

Pitinosato           0:0     Shounokuni
(Netherlands)                (Ukraine)

Spain                 :      Portugal
England               :   W  Italy
Switzerland       D   :x  L  Denmark ©
Austria ©             :x     France
Netherlands ®         :x  L  Russia
Slovakia              :x     Scotland
North Macedonia       :x     Ukraine ®
Ukraine               :x  L  Turkey
Croatia               :x     Hungary

Shounokuni's chain is already broken in slot 3, but he still has a chance for winning.

• Thanks 1

GROUP “D”  (Refioji: Achiyama)

ROUND 1 (After the matches on Day 2 (June 12, 2021)

JEJIMA   KUMA-KOMA     JAKUSOTSU   ATENZAN
Squad Goals   Squad Goals     SQUAD Goals   SQUAD Goals
  1. Spain        1. Spain          1. Denmark 0       L     1. Italy (C) 1      W
  2. Italy  W     2. Netherlands         2. Italy W     2. Belgium 0      W
  3. England (R)       3. Croatia (R)         3. France       3. Switzerland D
  4. Switzerland D     4. Belgium W       4. Scotland (R)       4. Scotland  
  5. Wales D     5. Switzerland D       5. Germany (C)       5. Germany   
  6. Hungary (C)       6. Sweden         6. Russia L     6. Czechia (R)  
  7. Ukraine       7. Russia (C) L       7. Ukraine       7. N. Macedonia  
  8. Finland W     8. Hungary         8. Hungary       8. Croatia  
  9. Croatia       9. Scotland           9. Turkey L     9. Ukraine  
              LOSER     WINNER  

Game #1: Jejima vs. Kuma-Koma is too early to call.

Game #2: Jakusotsu vs. Atenzan is decided. Jakusotsu's chain is broken at Slot #1. The Winner is Atenzan score at least 1:0. We have to wait to see what will be the final score.

Posted (edited)

Come on England! Anything other than a victory, and I will be cheering on Ukraine to counter all the positive vibes towards Netherlands on this thread ;-)

Peter/Baku (aged 5), Felix/Kaba (aged 4) and I were watching the Denmark vs Finland match (Michelle/Fujiko was at work) when the terrible incident happened. When the Danish players started shielding Christian Eriksen, I knew that it was potentially very serious, and decided it was time for the boys to have an early bath. Peter kept worrying about the Danish player who 'fell down, and is now in hospital'. When the match restarted, he decided that he wanted Denmark to win, instead of Finland (despite having Finland high up on his round 1 line-up), because he felt sad for them.

Peter is now (after breakfast) watching the whole of last night's Belgium vs Russia match (it was after his bedtime) - I tried to fob him off with just the highlights (so he already knows the score) - but he is not having any of that, as both Russia and Belgium are 'in his team'. 

Edit: Looking forward to reading the update for the Group B match between my wife and my youngest son. ;-)

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 3

Hi Jezz,

very intresting to see/read how a young child handles such an incident

and how compassionate he is at 5 years

Peter

Posted (edited)

Group E - Refioji Nekonishiki
Round 1 - Day 3

And the third day came, but still no results in the first slots.
We can endlessly calculate the ifs and thens.
But Bout 2 will have something more to report.

Djodjoyoshi vs Chijanofuji

Chijanofuji had even three teams which played today.
Not as if any of them matters anymore in this round.
It was just like a colouring book today.
Nothing is decided in this bout yet, anything can happen.
We will know a little more tomorrow.

Achiyama vs Ojisan

Only Ojisan had Croatia, but this loss doesn't mean anything anyway,
the chains of both players (Iamnotworthy...)(Iamnotworthy...)since his chain has broken earlier.
Achiyama gets a valuable win in Slot #1 but we don't know yet how much it is worth. 
But Achiyama scored one goal already, that's sure. Will there be any more?

EC2021_Round_1_Day_3.jpg

Color coding:

colorcode.jpg

Edited by Nekonishiki Banji
I HAVE ALREADY PREPARED THE DAGGER

GROUP F round 1, day 3.

Still no decision in this group, we'll have to wait for day 5 anyway. All that happens till then is just a build up. Let's see in more details what happened today.

image.png.36eddaa5a6e996fd60d9471123fdabc7.png

2 wins today for Godango (England and Austria) but the placemet of Denmark in slot 1 is still a pain in the....
Chishafuwaku has only one team left to play, Portugal, which will decide the fate of this head to head. So we'll have to wait.

Slovakia (S7) and Sweden (S9) will play tomorrow for Godango.

image.png.04b157445f5c124f40cf2f131d5b184b.png

2 teams played for Terarno today, 2 losses (Croatia, North Macedonia) but here France in S1 will be decisive.
Fingall has multiple reasons to cheer for Germany, let's hope they won"t let him down as they did in 2018 during the world cup.

Tomorrow Sweden and Spain are playing for Terarno (but they face each other) while Scotland will open day 4 for Fingall.

Posted (edited)

GROUP B: Round 1, Day 3
The first update for Group B comes with a little over half the match-ups decided, and we have some news to share!

Match 1:

Finland's upset of Denmark has put Fujiko in the unenviable position of having their highest ranked (and in this case, Representative) team lose.

A win for Belgium (Kaba's counter-balance team) in the same slot gives Kaba not just the opening goal of the pool, but also the opening win! The only question now is whether or not Fujiko can prevent her own child from racking up a big score. There are sure to be some awkward dinners at Jejima-beya.

Match 2:

We're sweating the results of Spain v. Sweden here, with the Netherlands victory giving Nekonishiki the inside lane to victory. An upset by the Swedes will see it all over, however should Spain prevail Athenayama has plenty of wins in the chamber.

Many matches happening overnight that will impact the pool, we may well see an outcome for both bouts. Stay tuned!

Match 1   Match 2
Score Result Fujiko (Denmark) vs Kaba (Finland) Result Score   Score Result Athenayama (Belgium) vs Nekonishiki (Russia) Result Score
0 L Denmark (R)   Belgium (C) W 1       Spain (N)   Netherlands (N) W  
  W England (N)   Spain (N)         W Austria (N)   Poland (N)    
    Germany (N)   Denmark (N) L       W Belgium (R)   Belgium (N) W  
  W Italy (N)   Austria (N) W       W Italy (N)   Germany (N)    
  L Ukraine (C)   Italy (N) W       L Croatia (N)   Croatia (C) L  
    Hungary (N)   Switzerland (N) D         Turkey (N)   Turkey (N)    
  W Finland (N)   Sweden (N)         W Finland (C)   Russia (R) L  
  D Wales (N)   Finland (R) W         Sweden (N)   Slovakia (N)    
  D Switzerland (N)   North Macedonia (N) L         Hungary (N)   Hungary (N)    
0 Total Score 1   0 Total Score 0
Edited by Godango

11 minutes ago, Godango said:

GROUP B: Round 1, Day 3
Match 2:

We're sweating the results of Spain v. Sweden here, with the Netherlands victory giving Nekonishiki the inside lane to victory. An upset by the Swedes will see it all over, however should Spain prevail Athenayama has plenty of wins in the chamber.

Match 1   Match 2
Score Result Fujiko (Denmark) vs Kaba (Finland) Result Score   Score Result Athenayama (Belgium) vs Nekonishiki (Russia) Result Score
0 L Denmark (R)   Belgium (C) W 1       Spain (N)   Netherlands (N) W  
  W England (N)   Spain (N)         W Austria (N)   Poland (N)    
    Germany (N)   Denmark (N) L       W Belgium (R)   Belgium (N) W  
  W Italy (N)   Austria (N) W       W Italy (N)   Germany (N)    
  L Ukraine (C)   Italy (N) W       L Croatia (N)   Croatia (C) L  
    Hungary (N)   Switzerland (N) D         Turkey (N)   Turkey (N)    
  W Finland (N)   Sweden (N)         W Finland (C)   Russia (R) L  
  D Wales (N)   Finland (R) W         Sweden (N)   Slovakia (N)    
  D Switzerland (N)   North Macedonia (N) L         Hungary (N)   Hungary (N)    
0 Total Score 1   0 Total Score 0

I can even settle with a draw in game Spain-Sweden... Don't let me down "La Roja" ! !

• Like 1