Jejima

The Bench Euros 2020 (taking place in 2021)

5 minutes ago, Athenayama said:

Last call, less than 5 hours before the deadline. Maybe @Nantonoyama thinks he doesn't play anymore? Still waiting for your line up. :-)

No worry, I'm in, just sent you my line-up :-) I have to give my maximum to beat @Terarno, and I still hope for some last minute information. Unless all water already left my opponent's body through his eyes after last Monday night, and he dried up like a prune... (I hope not!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Pitinosato said:

I have not yet received a line-up from @Joaoiyama 

Pitinosato

All picks received (Applauding...)

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Godango said:

All picks have been received for these matches. Due to the time difference I'll likely release lineups with the day 1 update (to allow time for any last minute changes from players).

OK, that's too bad as now we won't really know which teams to root for or against on the first day of the QF matches of (the real) UEFA Euro 2020, but I don't blame you.  I certainly don't expect you to get up in middle of the night just to publish the line-ups If you're not watching the football matches live (in which case you would be awake anyway). Do TV-stations (terrestrial, cable, satellite or internet) even broadcast the matches live down under?

Edited by Chijanofuji

Refioji Athenayama :
Good luck to all !

Bench Euros 2020 Saucer Semifinals
Winners progress to the Saucer Finals. Losers go home.

Shounokuni (Ukraine) : 1. England (S1) , 2. Italy, 3. Denmark (C), 4. Belgium (S2), 5. Ukraine (R)
VS

Baku (Turkey) : 1. Belgium, 2. Spain, 3. Denmark (S1), 4. Italy
Comment: I want to say nothing.

Bench Euros 2020 Bowl Quarterfinals
Winners progress to the Bowl Semifinals. Losers go home.

England and Belgium will be removed. Italy in the same slot but as (R) team for Nantonoyama. There are really very few options left for Terarno.

Terarno (France) : 1. England (S1) 2. Italy 3. Spain 4. Belgium (S2)
VS
Nantonoyama (
Italy) : 1. England (S1) 2. Italy (R) 3. Czechia (C) 4. Belgium (S2) 5. Switzerland
Comment: Let's squeeze some Agen pruneaux!

Refioji Nekonishiki
Quarterfinal matches - Day 1

And here is the next round of the competition. (Clappingwildly...)
We will follow matches #4 in both Bowl and Cup Quarterfinals.

Pitinosato vs Andrasoyama

The winner progresses to the Bowl Semifinals. The loser goes home.
Two slots had to be removed before the match.

Djodjoyoshi vs Athenayama

The winner progresses to the Cup Semifinals. The loser goes to the Plate Semifinals.
In this match there is only one slot for removal.

EC2021_Round8_Matches_Intro.jpg

Here are the short comments players made before the matches:

PitinosatoOut :'-(- one mistake to much (Idunno...)
I go with England, although I want them to lose - so in every case I have something to be glad about (Smokingpipe...)
5 against 4, maybe this will help (or England or Czechia….)
 (Sakke...)

Andrasoyama just looks with an evil smile on his face thinking about who will shoot the goals.

Djodjoyoshi : First time I play this game and I'm having much fun. Many thanks to Jejima, the maker of this game, and many thanks to all the refioji for their work to gather all the results. Now, don't think that this is a "farewell speech", I hope to make another one in the semi finals ! Good luck to my cousin (God, I'm so hypocrit)

Athenayama: I can't "hate" my opponent this round and that doesn't help. He has more teams, 3 of them matching mine, I have very little room to maneuver. I'm just hoping that he won't be sober when he'll send his line up.... 

GANBARE! 

Bowl Quarterfinals Match 3:

Ojisan:  1. Belgium, 2. Italy, 3. Denmark (S1), 4. Spain (S2)
vs.
Jejima:  1. Belgium (S1), 2. Italy, 3. England ®, 4. Spain, 5. Switzerland, 6. Ukraine
Comment: I have carefully studied my aite's previous tactics, and I am arranging my line-up to best counter his threat. I believe that once again I will be heavily relying on England winning in 90 minutes.....

(Ojisan receives the fifth yellow card for droning...)

Cup Quarterfinals Match 3:

Kuma-Koma:  1. Belgium, 2. Spain, 3. Switzerland
Comment: This was so tiresome, I had to calculate the thousands of possibilities I faced creating the order of my teams.
vs.
Godango:  1. England ©, 2. Denmark, 3. Italy, 4. Belgium (S1), 5. Switzerland

Bench Euros 2020 Cup Quarterfinals, Matches 1 & 2

image.png.40d3004be21717d227d04ed9057acf93.png

Comment Fujiko: England is coming home!

Fujiko with the advantage of having twice as much Teams as Joaoiyama

image.png.817a784aa8c356e281802d9bc6a506bf.png

Comment Ganzohnesuhi: I hope Danish Dynamite can make the difference...

Comment Atenzan : Good luck , Ganzohnesushi! C-Come on England? 

Is it me saying that?

Will the C- and R-Team make it for Atenzan ?

Or will Belgium-Italy decide this one ?

• Thanks 1

Icredibly cruel. You have to be Spanish not feeling down right now.

On 30/06/2021 at 16:43, Godango said:

I've received picks from Kaba (c/- @Jejima) and @chishafuwaku .

@Chijanofuji and @Achiyama -- please have picks to me via direct message 30 mins before the first match kicks off.

I have sent my lineup via PM at Sumoforum on July 1.

24 minutes ago, Achiyama said:

I have sent my lineup via PM at Sumoforum on July 1.

Your July 1 is about 20 hours later than Godango's.

45 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Your July 1 is about 20 hours later than Godango's.

Are you sure about that? What is his time zone?

11:24 am my time on July 1 (when I sent the lineup up) is 19 h before the Deadline.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Achiyama said:

11:24 am my time on July 1 (when I sent the lineup up) is 19 h before the Deadline. 

You'll be fine, don't worry.

Ojisan               0:0     Jejima
(Sweden)                     (England)

Belgium           L  Ø:Ø  L  Belgium (S1)
Italy             W  Ø:Ø  W  Italy
Denmark (S1)          :      England ®
Spain (S2)        D  Ø:Ø  D  Spain
                      :   D  Switzerland
                      :      Ukraine

Jejima's calculated risk delivered the expected 0:0 so far. It's all about England.

Kuma-Koma            0:0     Godango
(Croatia)                    (Hungary)

Belgium           L   :      England ©
Spain             D   :      Denmark
Switzerland       D   :   W  Italy
                      :x  L  Belgium (S1)
                      :x  D  Switzerland

Kuma-Koma delivered some kind of reverse ganbare-lineup and needs England to lose for going into extra time (where he needs Denmark to not win in extra time).

Edit: ....or does extra time start with Spain (W) vs. Switzerland (L) = win for Kuma-Koma? I love these rules! :-P

Edited by Jakusotsu

Refioji Nekonishiki
Quarterfinal matches - Day 1

Pitinosato vs Andrasoyama

In Slot #3 there is a potential goal for Pitinosato. Andrasoyama's chain will break here at latest.
The match will be decided only tomorrow.

Djodjoyoshi vs Athenayama

What a torment it was to watch Spain-Switzerland. A draw for both players.
The winner Italy has been removed, the players keep the loser, although in lower places.
However, Belgium is the (R) team of Athenayama so it is very dangerous even here.

EC2021_Round8_Matches_Day_1.jpg

Color coding:

colorcode.jpg

Refioji Athenayama day 1:

Bench Euros 2020 Saucer Semifinals
Winners progress to the Saucer Finals. Losers go home.

Shounokuni Baku :
Shounokuni scores at S2 and it seems he has already won the match. If England don't lose tomorrow in regular time, game is over in favor of Shounokuni as Baku's chain will break at S1.  If they lose we'll have to see what the Danish will do.  Then again it will be a win for Shounokuni either in regular or extra time. Baku has just the possibility to score in S4 provided England lose.  (I hope I'm right)

Shounokuni H     Baku A     Goal H Shounokuni Chain H   Goal A Baku Chain A  
1. England (S1) N   - Belgium N L     0   -   0    
2. Italy N W - Spain N D   1 1   -   0    
3. Denmark C   - Denmark (S1) N       1   -   0    
4. Belgium (S2) N L - Italy N W     1 x - 1 1    
5. Ukraine R   -           1   -   1    
6.       -           1   -   1    

Winners progress to the Bowl Semifinals. Losers go home.

Terarno - Nantonoyama :
Nantonoyama scores at S2 and I think that game is already over whatever the result of Czech Republic tomorrow.  

Terarno H     Nantonoyama A     Goal H Terarno Chain H   Goal A Nantonoyama Chain A  
1. England (S1) N   - England (S1) N       0   -   0    
2. Italy N W - Italy R W     0   - 1 1    
3. Spain N D - Czechia C       0   -   1    
4. Belgium (S2) N   - Belgium (S2) N       0   -   1    
5.       - Switzerland N D     0   -   1    
6.       -           0   -   1    

Posted (edited)

I need a combination of results to win this. Win for England and loss for Denmark. Any other result and I'm out. And I believe this combination is unlikely to happen. Djodjoyoshi will get this.... Time for me to focus on the Nagoya basho at last !

Edited by Athenayama

Bench Euros 2020 Cup Quarterfinals, Matches 1 & 2, Standings after Day 1

No goals scored today in both Matches - but nevertheless Match 1 is already decided !

image.png.8f7a16b8e9a0f1fe9f4c4dd5b110e41d.png

One loser, one draw - Joao needs Denmark to win

buth then Fujiko would score on slot #3 with Denmark

Or with England or with Italy...

So Fujiko will win this one, there is no option she won't !

image.png.031a0c72c9b825086bd400ba5b2a5240.png

everything possible here !

Tension is rising...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

You'll be fine, don't worry.

Ojisan               0:0     Jejima
(Sweden)                     (England)

Belgium           L  Ø:Ø  L  Belgium (S1)
Italy             W  Ø:Ø  W  Italy
Denmark (S1)          :      England ®
Spain (S2)        D  Ø:Ø  D  Spain
                      :   D  Switzerland
                      :      Ukraine

Jejima's calculated risk delivered the expected 0:0 so far. It's all about England.

Kuma-Koma            0:0     Godango
(Croatia)                    (Hungary)

Belgium           L   :      England ©
Spain             D   :      Denmark
Switzerland       D   :   W  Italy
                      :x  L  Belgium (S1)
                      :x  D  Switzerland

Kuma-Koma delivered some kind of reverse ganbare-lineup and needs England to lose for going into extra time (where he needs Denmark to not win in extra time).

Edit: ....or does extra time start with Spain (W) vs. Switzerland (L) = win for Kuma-Koma? I love these rules! :-P

Yes, it is a bit complicated, but I do like to ponder on it. If England lost, my chain would be broken only at the last slot, so extra time started on the first one. In this case Denmark could win the game for Godango if they won in the extra time. Other outcomes end up in draw which is actually the best I could achieve here.

(Spain never will be W as the 120 min result was still D)

Edited by Kuma-Koma

9 minutes ago, Kuma-Koma said:

In this case Denmark could win the game for Godango if they won in the extra time. Other outcomes end up in draw which is actually the best I could achieve here.

(Spain never will be W as the 120 min result was still D)

*But* - if your chain starts again from slot 1, with all regularly decided matches considered as draws, and Godango's hitherto unused slot 4 being first (and discarded because it matches your slot 1), Spain vs. Switzerland would grant you the win, won't they?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

*But* - if your chain starts again from slot 1, with all regularly decided matches considered as draws, and Godango's hitherto unused slot 4 being first (and discarded because it matches your slot 1), Spain vs. Switzerland would grant you the win, won't they?

Actually I don't think so. The normal game ends on the fifth slot which is empty for me so it is considered as a loss, so Switzerland's draw beats it. In my understanding the matches cannot rotate the way you wrote. The extra time will start with Belgium - England again (which will be D-D in the extra time) and Spain (still D) faces Denmark. At least this is how I understand the rules.

Edited by Kuma-Koma

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Chijanofuji said:

OK, that's too bad as now we won't really know which teams to root for or against on the first day of the QF matches of (the real) UEFA Euro 2020, but I don't blame you.  I certainly don't expect you to get up in middle of the night just to publish the line-ups If you're not watching the football matches live (in which case you would be awake anyway). Do TV-stations (terrestrial, cable, satellite or internet) even broadcast the matches live down under?

I'm with you, in hindsight I should have probably just set an earlier deadline but I didn't want to be the exception to the norm in that regard. No idea on the broadcast front, truth be told I'm not a huge football fan (the outrage!) and jumped at the chance of a bench game variation without really understanding what was going on :-D. I am very much enjoying it though!

At any rate...

Match Results for Refioji Godango

Two matches on the cards today, in the Saucer Semifinals and the Bowl Quarterfinals. Lineups are below:

Bench Euros 2020 Saucer Semifinals | Match 2   Bench Euros 2020 Bowl Quarterfinals | Match: 2
Kaba (Finland) vs Chijanofuji (Slovakia)   chishafuwaku (Portugal) vs Achiyama (Spain)
Belgium (C)   Spain (C)   Italy   Belgium
England (S1)   Italy (S2)   Spain (S1)   Spain (R)
Switzerland   Denmark   Belgium   Denmark
Spain   Ukraine   Switzerland   Switzerland
Italy   Switzerland   Ukraine    
Denmark            
Comments   Comments
Stinks!   Here's hoping I haven't used up all my luck in my Saucer QF match against Furanohana!   I really need a Czechia victory to balance the fact that my opponent has Spain (R), and also Italy has to avenge Portugal...   A little chance to advance with such shrunk squad. But who knows? There is a little hope!

As we see, Switzerland will take no part in the @chishafuwaku v @Achiyama match, while anything but a draw in Italy vs. Belgium also means the match will be decided in slot 1! Otherwise all teams are on the table! 

Results

Saucer Semi-Finals Match 2    
Score Result Kaba (Finland) vs Chijanofuji (Slovakia) Result Score
  L Belgium (C)   Spain (C) D 1
    England (S1)   Italy (S2) W  
  D Switzerland   Denmark    
  D Spain   Ukraine    
  W Italy   Switzerland D  
    Denmark        
0 Total Score 1

The draw for Spain and the loss for Belgium means that the outcome is decided here -- @Chijanofuji gets the goal and Kaba's chain is broken! We have a semifinalist -- but what will the end margin be?

Score Result chishafuwaku (Portugal) vs Achiyama (Spain) Result Score
1 W Italy   Belgium L 0
0 D Spain (S1)   Spain (R) D  
  L Belgium   Denmark    
  D Switzerland   Switzerland D  
    Ukraine        
1 Total Score 0

Another match decided in slot one, courtesy of Italy's defeat of Belgium.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's update where we find out the margins!

Apologies again for the anti-climactic nature of the update -- I trust you all enjoyed the matches all the same :).

Edited by Godango
  • Thanks 1

My family is going away for the weekend visiting my sister (Kamejima) and her family. So, there will be a delay with some admin posts before the next round of matches. - But plenty of time before the semi-finals! 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Godango said:

I'm with you, in hindsight I should have probably just set an earlier deadline but I didn't want to be the exception to the norm in that regard. No idea on the broadcast front, truth be told I'm not a huge football fan (the outrage!) and jumped at the chance of a bench game variation without really understanding what was going on :-D. I am very much enjoying it though!

If I have to trust Google Search (beware - they favor payed advertising during searches, but this time it's confirmed by the official UEFA site) Euro 2020 is available live exclusively in Australia from Optus Sports (a paid internet streaming service that also owns the rights in Oz to the English Premier League), and that would have set you back $14,99- for 1 month, $29,99 for three months or $99 for a one year subscription. So if you not a real hard core football fan that would be a no, it's not available on any open channel....

11 hours ago, Godango said:

Apologies again for the anti-climactic nature of the update -- I trust you all enjoyed the matches all the same :).

I did, especially Belgium v Italy, which -as expected- was a clash between two skilled teams that also played with passion and speed. It had many things a great football match should have, including a very favorable outcome for me in the Bench Sumo Saucer Semifinals.... ;-)

I was pretty confident Italy would come out on top, even though I would have liked our neighbors from Belgium to advance so they would still be in it to finally win a major championship in football. I can honestly say that despite the fierce rivalry that exists between our two countries in the field of sports (mainly football).

In Belgium (especially in Flanders, the northern half -and Dutch speaking- part of the country) the Dutch are always portrayed as being arrogant, cocky, and overconfident - which is even true when you take the main hoard of casual Dutch football fans fans into account that are know as the "Oranjelegioen" (Orange Legion). The Belgians used to portray themselves as the sympathetic underdog, but for the past few years, ever since the Belgian Red Devils managed to climb the FIFA world rankings and get near or at the very top of it (they were ranked #1 before the tournament started), this has mostly disappeared. In the Belgian media and among Belgian football fans a swathe of (over?) confidence had come about that finally allowed them to say out loud that their national football team is significantly better than the Dutch. And rightly so!  They really are!

But as is often the case, the opinion of the casual fans takes over, and the media in Belgium became obsessed with winning the whole tournament, to the point where many of them (not all) were already looking beyond Italy. And that's a big mistake as "we" (the Dutch) know all to well by now...

Edited by Chijanofuji
  • Like 3

Regarding the Belgium-Italy yesterday, even though the Italians are obviously the masters of "Comedia del arte", I was extremely disgusted when the majority of (probably Belgium) "fans" boohooed an obviously very heavy injured Spinazolla. Instead of cheering and applause him as it should have been for any normal sports fan. I saw yesterday what football is at its worst.  There will never be an end to this non sense...

20 minutes ago, Athenayama said:

Regarding the Belgium-Italy yesterday, even though the Italians are obviously the masters of "Comedia del arte", I was extremely disgusted when the majority of (probably Belgium) "fans" boohooed an obviously very heavy injured Spinazolla. Instead of cheering and applause him as it should have been for any normal sports fan. I saw yesterday what football is at its worst.  There will never be an end to this non sense...

No there won't. After the match riots ensued in Brussels after a man waving an Italian flag was attacked by a group of people. When police tried to intervene the group turn on them...

https://www.hln.be/brussel/winkel-geplunderd-waterkanon-ingezet-en-twee-arrestaties-politie-heeft-handen-vol-met-amokmakers-in-centrum-brussel-na-nederlaag-rode-duivels~a777a37c/

Translation by Google translate: 

Shop looted, water cannon deployed and two arrests: police have hands full with rioters in the center of Brussels after the Red Devils defeat Brussels -

On Friday evening, after the elimination of the Red Devils at the European Football Championship, there were riots with young people at the Beursplein in the center of Brussels. The police had to use the water cannon because amok makers threw projectiles at agents and shop windows. A Nike store was looted in the Nieuwstraat. Two rioters were arrested. It was quiet again in the capital around 00.30 hours. Immediately after the quarterfinals lost by the Red Devils at the European Championship, it became restless in the center of Brussels. “At 11 p.m., we had to intervene at the Stock Exchange when a group attacked a person with an Italian flag,” said Olivier Slosse, spokesman for the Brussels-Capital Ixelles police zone. The group then turned against the police. Projectiles (bottles, smoke bombs and electric scooters, ed.) were thrown at the agents and shop windows. The atmosphere was very tense. To disperse the group, we deployed the spray truck and sprayed tear gas.” Nike store Images of a sports shop being looted are also circulating on social media. "We were notified at 11.10 pm about a theft in the Nike store in the Nieuwstraat and on site our agents were able to determine that there had indeed been a break-in," said Slosse. The police managed to arrest one young man during the looting. A second person was arrested when the police dispersed the crowd that had gathered at the Stock Exchange. The victim with the Italian flag did not ask the police for medical help, but went to the hospital himself for treatment.

5 minutes ago, Chijanofuji said:

No there won't. After the match riots ensued in Brussels after a man waving an Italian flag was attacked by a group of people. When police tried to intervene the group turn on them...

https://www.hln.be/brussel/winkel-geplunderd-waterkanon-ingezet-en-twee-arrestaties-politie-heeft-handen-vol-met-amokmakers-in-centrum-brussel-na-nederlaag-rode-duivels~a777a37c/

Translation by Google translate: 

No more comment to add to that...

giphy.gif