Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Terunofuji manhandles Mitakuemi and easily wins the mini-playoffi. Is it me or does it seem unusually early to have a stand-alone yusho leader?

Sort of; in every basho where there has been a perfect score on day 4 (501 of them), only 20 have a sole leader by day 1. The last time this happened was Haru 2013, he was also chased by 15 rikishi on that occasion. 

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&having=1&day=4&m=on&wins1=4&offset=450

PS: Looks like Jakusotsu beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Wooo, that was a hell of a barn burner between Ura and Yutakayama.

And it was Ura's barn that got burned down!  How that is going to affect his yusho hopes remains to be seen.  In oozumo, wins make you, and losses break you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wakatakakage got the better of Takayasu, getting a solid armpit inashi hold with which he was able to push the big bear out of the dohyo.  Takayasu had no countermove, and seemed to give up near the end.  Will Wakatakakage try the same technique against Terunofuji?  Unlike Takayasu, Terunofuji will probably not let that happen in the first place.  His kaiju style (usually) doesn't give opponents the chance to execute their strategies.  It'll either be Teru at the Top again tomorrow, or another joint lead situation.  All that to say, Teru has one to give – not that he should be thinking that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Wakatakakage got the better of Takayasu, getting a solid armpit inashi hold with which he was able to push the big bear out of the dohyo.  Takayasu had no countermove, and seemed to give up near the end.  Will Wakatakakage try the same technique against Terunofuji?  Unlike Takayasu, Terunofuji will probably not let that happen in the first place.  His kaiju style (usually) doesn't give opponents the chance to execute their strategies.  It'll either be Teru at the Top again tomorrow, or another joint lead situation.  All that to say, Teru has one to give – not that he should be thinking that way!

Terunofuji looks to be too strong for anyone at this point.  I don't think Wakatakakage can beat him tomorrow.  Will Teru go zensho to help his Yokozuna title run?    I like his chances as this basho appears to be a weak one overall so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do other rikishi not like Akiseyama or something? Ishiura just about took his head off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Terunofuji looks to be too strong for anyone at this point.  I don't think Wakatakakage can beat him tomorrow.  Will Teru go zensho to help his Yokozuna title run?    I like his chances as this basho appears to be a weak one overall so far.

He seems to have a middle-third blip before finishing strong so let’s see over the next 5-6 days. Form says he’ll drop one or two he should win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morty said:

Do other rikishi not like Akiseyama or something? Ishiura just about took his head off!

I don't think it's that, as Akiseyama seems to be an affable, likeable fellow, but rather, Ishiura is a disciple of Hakuho.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:
8 hours ago, Morty said:

Do other rikishi not like Akiseyama or something? Ishiura just about took his head off!

I don't think it's that, as Akiseyama seems to be an affable, likeable fellow, but rather, Ishiura is a disciple of Hakuho.

And I would add that Akiseyama is deceptively strong in his sumo.  I don't have the exact stats, but I suspect that Ishiura has had to contend with Akiseyama down in Juryo, and knows that he needs to go all out if he hopes to beat oozumo's Pillsbury doughboy.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did I sit through the entire live broadcast this afternoon without noticing there was a crowd in today? (Idunno...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trivia bit: Hoshoryu and Ichinojo met for the first time in March 2020, and they're the only couple outside of sanyaku with an engagement each basho ever since.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who watch Abema TV's broadcast were treated to the first torikumi gohiro bout announcements of the tournament.  Chief referee Shikimori Inosuke did the honours.  Not sure if he was out of practice or simply distracted, but he started off holding up the papers for each matchup starting on the wrong side.  Only about five sheets in did he realise the error in his ways, and started following the prescribed order.  Probably a minor thing for most fans, but it needs to be pointed out.  Time and time again, the current Shikimori Inosuke has made mistakes (perhaps the most egregious being getting in the way of top wrestlers mid-bout).  

I have nothing against him personally, but I can't help feel that he is not living up to expectations for referees ranked as Tate-gyoji.  Virtually any other Sanyaku or Makuuchi gyoji could probably do his job better than he is doing! (Beingthrowntomatoesat...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point it's obvious that Terunofuji is head and shoulders above the rest. Shame about the knees and toes... 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Virtually any other Sanyaku or Makuuchi gyoji could probably do his job better than he is doing! 

He will never make it to Kimura Shonosuke, I hope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Those who watch Abema TV's broadcast were treated to the first torikumi gohiro bout announcements of the tournament.  Chief referee Shikimori Inosuke did the honours.  Not sure if he was out of practice or simply distracted, but he started off holding up the papers for each matchup starting on the wrong side.  Only about five sheets in did he realise the error in his ways, and started following the prescribed order.  Probably a minor thing for most fans, but it needs to be pointed out.  Time and time again, the current Shikimori Inosuke has made mistakes (perhaps the most egregious being getting in the way of top wrestlers mid-bout).  

I have nothing against him personally, but I can't help feel that he is not living up to expectations for referees ranked as Tate-gyoji.  Virtually any other Sanyaku or Makuuchi gyoji could probably do his job better than he is doing! (Beingthrowntomatoesat...)


Inosuke collapsed after suffering a stroke in May 2020, shortly after the death of Shobushi (incidentally, tomorrow is the anniversary of that tragic event). He was hospitalised for a time and struggled to walk unaided. I fear it has had a lasting impact on his duties as a gyoji.

The fall from the dohyo in March made my heart skip a beat - senior gyoji are not young men and stand on the same height dohyo as rikishi. Thankfully such accidents are rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the dohyomatsuri in May 2019. He looked wobbly and missed his chair when he tried to sit down. Just figured he'd had a drink or two (or many more) given how red his face was, didn't know he was heading toward a stroke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Those who watch Abema TV's broadcast were treated to the first torikumi gohiro bout announcements of the tournament.  Chief referee Shikimori Inosuke did the honours.  Not sure if he was out of practice or simply distracted, but he started off holding up the papers for each matchup starting on the wrong side.  Only about five sheets in did he realise the error in his ways, and started following the prescribed order.  Probably a minor thing for most fans, but it needs to be pointed out.  Time and time again, the current Shikimori Inosuke has made mistakes (perhaps the most egregious being getting in the way of top wrestlers mid-bout).  

I have nothing against him personally, but I can't help feel that he is not living up to expectations for referees ranked as Tate-gyoji.  Virtually any other Sanyaku or Makuuchi gyoji could probably do his job better than he is doing! (Beingthrowntomatoesat...)

They could encourage him to retire and put him in charge of displaying the Japanese flag on site …. but he’d probably manage to hang it upside down… 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

They could encourage him to retire and put him in charge of displaying the Japanese flag on site …. but he’d probably manage to hang it upside down… 

LOL.  The Japanese flag looks the same upside down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's special NHK feature is on Minezaki oyakata, ex Misugiiso, who was the guest commentator for presumably the last time in the black box. Footage of his back to back kinboshi against Kitanoumi and Mienoumi in Aki 1979 were shown. 

The other guest commentator is Shibatayama, who was Misugiiso's stablemate at both Hanakago and Hanaregoma. Excerpts from their keiko sessions at Hanaregoma were shown.

Arawashi, as Minezaki's only makuuchi deshi, was featured as well: snippets from his kinboshi wins against Hakuho and Kakuryu, as well as his danpatsushiki in February, were shown.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Good, Enho has one win; can he go kyujo now please?

He may need to the way he was limping off with an aggravated ankle in addition to his elbow issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kaninoyama said:
6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Good, Enho has one win; can he go kyujo now please?

He may need to the way he was limping off with an aggravated ankle in addition to his elbow issues.

All the Enho fans crying in a corner :'-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murray lampshading that "some sumo fan sites are already commenting that this tournament is over".

NHK English sumo broadcast team reading SF confirmed? /j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now