Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

34 minutes ago, Onibushou said:

I'd argue an obvious Yokozuna candidate not making it due to injuries is just as, if not more, sour. We'll never get to see what could have been with a healthy Yokozuna Terunofuji, but somehow we may get to see him wear the rope anyways. Regardless of how that potential tenure ends, I think he'd always be remembered as the guy that made Ozeki, dropped to nowhere and managed to not only fight back but even surpass his old self.

It has been discussed on this Forum before: would you rather have a long Ozeki career (say, Kaio) or a short Yokozuna career (say, Kisenosato)?  A few have had a lot of both (say, Musashimaru).  Of course, the db says Kisenosato had 12 basho as a Yokozuna, but ...

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

It has been discussed on this Forum before: would you rather have a long Ozeki career (say, Kaio) or a short Yokozuna career (say, Kisenosato)?  A few have had a lot of both (say, Musashimaru).  Of course, the db says Kisenosato had 12 basho as a Yokozuna, but ...

Also discussed was short Ozeki career vs short Yokozuna career, as the former allows you to decline and prolong your career. Think Tochinoshin right now. He had the shortest of Ozeki stints and is no doubt grateful for the fact he could simply slip back down to hiramaku without a fuss. Yokozuna don’t have that luxury.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Wakatakakage is the new Chiyonofuji. Discuss. (Yushowinner...)

Let's discuss this after he won his first 10 yusho.;-)

I think it's Hōshōryū who will be in san'yaku soon...

5 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Let's discuss this after he won his first 10 yusho.;-)

I think it's Hōshōryū who will be in san'yaku soon...

On yesterday's NHK broadcast they displayed a graphic of the youngest makuuchi wrestlers. Hoshoryu, at 21, was the youngest by two years, followed by Kotonowaka and one other I can't recall at the moment (Onosho?). 

Wooo, that was a hell of a barn burner between Ura and Yutakayama.

Someone knows what’s wrong with Daishomaru & Nishikigi?

Both were makuuchi regular not so long ago. They seem totally out of shape and very far from their best level.

1 minute ago, Kotononami said:

Someone knows what’s wrong with Daishomaru & Nishikigi?

Both were makuuchi regular not so long ago. They seem totally out of shape and very far from their best level.

Sumo just not up to snuff, I'd call it. Both were always lower makuuchi regulars and never really broke into or stayed in the joi. One undisclosed injury is all it takes to disrupt that balance.

Sort of something like what we're seeing with Enho now although it's more obvious with Enho, given his rise and fall were a lot more meteoric. Nishikigi benefited from ridiculous banzuke luck to survive 6 consecutive MKs in the top division once.

• Like 1

Enho should go kyujo with that useless arm.  It's tough to watch the little guy getting pummeled. 

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Enho should go kyujo with that useless arm.  It's tough to watch the little guy getting pummeled. 

As @Tigerboy1966 suggested, he's probably looking for that 1 win to avoid falling out of juryo altogether.

Posted (edited)

Today's special feature is on Kotoyuki (Kimigahama-oyakata, now in the black box), with replays of that kinboshi win over Harumafuji and the resulting, emotional, interview. Notable also for Ross re-enacting Kotoyuki's hoot in the immediate aftermath of the replay, and recounting the anecdote with Hakuho telling him to cut it out.

Replays of butsugari-geiko in Sadogatake in 2011 with Kotoshogiku followed.

Edited by Seiyashi

10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

As @Tigerboy1966 suggested, he's probably looking for that 1 win to avoid falling out of juryo altogether.

It's tough to be in that position.  Can he win one with that arm though?     Anyway, my fear of his being oft-injured has become a reality.  

News update: Chiyonokuni kyujo, for an astonishing 22nd time in his career.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

The fans are back for Day Four, including our favorite unmoving fixture, The Woman, back at her original perch at the far left of the screen. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Both were always lower makuuchi regulars and never really broke into or stayed in the joi.

That's a bit harsh on Nishikigi, who did manage to have three basho at the sharp end in 2019. When a wrestler is visibly injured or has to withdraw from bouts then it's easy to find the explanation for a slump in form. But there also those minor, niggling, cumulative injuries which are less obvious but steadily erode a rikishi's performance.  I think that's probably the reason why Nishikigi has gone from solid maegashira to struggling juryo in 2 years. Other forum members may have more specific information.

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

The fans are back for day four, including our favorite unmoving fixture, The Woman, back at her original perch at the far left of the screen. 

She's so distinctive, you can spot her even with the whole-arena view NHK uses for the wrestler name display.

1 minute ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

That's a bit harsh on Nishikigi, who did manage to have three basho at the sharp end in 2019. When a wrestler is visibly injured or has to withdraw from bouts then it's easy to find the explanation for a slump in form. But there also those minor, niggling, cumulative injuries which are less obvious but steadily erode a rikishi's performance.  I think that's probably the reason why Nishikigi has gone from solid maegashira to struggling juryo in 2 years. Other forum members may have more specific information.

I guess 8-7/7-8s are credible in the joi, but that was followed by a 4-11 (which in hindsight was probbaly due to said undisclosed injuries) and he's never been the same since. There's of course the what-ifs if he'd never suffered an injury then, but I'll call two grouped basho in the joi with middling results a burst in form (like Tokushoryu's yusho) rather than a harbinger of something better unfortunately cut short. 

So if anyone can find any reports on Nishikigi's condition in March 2019 we have our answer.

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

She's so distinctive, you can spot her even with the whole-arena view NHK uses for the wrestler name display.

She's become as much of a fixture of the Kokugikan basho as Olympic Ojisan used to be. 

• Like 1

Wow, very fiery sumo from Ishiura today, what with that tsuppari and that mega windup of a harite. Did he steal the kami out of Enho's red mawashi?

My bones rattled just watching Ishiura's harite.

2 minutes ago, yohcun said:

My bones rattled just watching Ishiura's harite.

Quoth Ross Mihara: "Bonk."

29 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Today's special feature is on Kotoyuki (Kimigahama-oyakata, now in the black box), with replays of that kinboshi win over Harumafuji and the resulting, emotional, interview. Notable also for Ross re-enacting Kotoyuki's hoot in the immediate aftermath of the replay, and recounting the anecdote with Hakuho telling him to cut it out.

Replays of butsugari-geiko in Sadogatake in 1996 with Kotoshogiku followed.

He's surprisingly natural on the mic. Then again, the only other times I've seen him speak for an extended period, he's been choking back tears.

12 minutes ago, yohcun said:

He's surprisingly natural on the mic. Then again, the only other times I've seen him speak for an extended period, he's been choking back tears.

Agree, he's a natural, with clear, descriptive analysis. Look forward to having back for future broadcasts. 

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji manhandles Mitakuemi and easily wins the mini-playoffi. Is it me or does it seem unusually early to have a stand-alone yusho leader?

No fewer than 14 rikishi are one win behind on 3-1. Crowded.

Edited by Eikokurai