Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

8 minutes ago, Rocks said:
9 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

I'm surprised we're even entertaining the idea of Terunofuji promotion with any kind of yusho here. 

There is ample reason between his injury history and his first basho back at the ozeki rank to unquestionably justify non-promotion. 

I don't see them going out on a limb to bend the rules for an ageing (sure, 29 ain't old but it ain't young), injury-time-bomb Mongolian.

Were this Takakeisho I could see them going out of their way to make the case (yeeha, young Japanese yokozuna!), but not here. 

Also I don't think I want them to. His Ozeki re-promotion was made particularly satisfying but just how strong his promotion was, to deny it would have been lunacy. Let him do the same to earn to rope and have one of those satisfying dramatic arcs that sumo is so unique in providing.

While I do think it is very unlikely they promote him with a yusho  I would think his age, condition and current mood culturally is the only thing that might sway them. There is room at the top. He's clearly outclassing everyone. Sumo can use any good news it can get.  With people very concerned about even getting to next year it seems harsh to tell a guy on the back end of his career wait some more when he is doing the job. That said I still don't think they will promote him. 

I don't think they will promote him with a yusho either, but I'd say his repromotion arc, strong performances, and need for a yokozuna replacement mean that they'll be willing to be a little more lenient with "the equivalent". A strong 12-3 junyusho might even keep his yokozuna promotion hopes alive if he yushos next time, or a yusho will make him a lock for promotion if he gets to a playoff or equivalent (e.g. equal records heading into senshuraku with someone else and losing then).

That said, the perpetual spectre is always how long and strong his tenure as a yokozuna will be. While I don't think it's necessarily very difficult for him to earn yokozuna at the rate the other ozeki are going, there's a significant risk that one more bad injury will permanently end his career once he has the rope. It's true that even without the rope, an injury might end his career anyway (he might not want to fight back up from wherever he's fallen to again), but there will be no ifs and buts about it if he gets injured while yokozuna. He will get less kyujo time after a year of kyujo yokozuna, and a poor tenure as yokozuna may well end his otherwise fantastically inspiring career on a bit of a sour note.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Wakatakakage is the new Chiyonofuji. Discuss. (Yushowinner...)

I was thinking exactly the same thing (with his look, not necessarily his sumo)

• Like 1

I suspect my comments will smack of conspiracy theory, but ...

Wakatakakage at M1e has just faced three straight Ozeki, upsetting two of them in the process.  It would make sense that he would face another/the only other Ozeki (i.e., Terunofuji) on day 4.  But for whatever reason, he will face S1e Takayasu, temporarily skipping Terunofuji. 

My suspicion is that maybe (just maybe) Isegahama Oyakata – Terunofuji's stablemaster and head of the Judging Committee which sets matches – may have purposely sparred his "horse in the race" from having to fight a dangerous and currently red-hot opponent (i.e., Wakatakakage) at this early stage.  

Wanting to debunk my own theory, I decided to check at least one other case of the opponents that Maegashira 1 east wrestlers tend to face in their first four days.  I selected Kyushu 2008 because there was one Yokozuna and four Ozeki on the banzuke in that tournament, similar to this tournament.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=1227&b=200811

M1e Toyonoshima faced only (and all of the) top elite opponents in the first five days (i.e., he did not fight a junior Sanyaku opponent until day 6).  This reveals that Wakatakakage not fighting Terunofuji tomorrow is at least somewhat suspect.

While most of the heavy lifting in winning a championship – actually winning almost all of his bouts – rests squarely on the wrestler's shoulders, could this bout setting anomaly be an example of the ways a Top Division wrestler's chances can be boosted? (Scratchingchin...)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Wanting to debunk my own theory, I decided to check at least one other case of the opponents that Maegashira 1 east wrestlers tend to face in their first four days.  I selected Kyushu 2008 because there was one Yokozuna and four Ozeki on the banzuke in that tournament, similar to this tournament.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=1227&b=200811

To my eye your methodology is mildly suspect by picking a banzuke with 5 active senior sanyaku in the basho. The other M1 in that basho, Futeno, faced S1e Ama by day 5, although admittedly Kaio had withdrawn by then giving Kotoshogiku the fusen. I give it to you that it's the pattern not the exact number that matters, but you'll have to find multiple banzuke with exactly 4 active senior sanyaku who have all fought the M1 by the first 4 days to really prove that theory.

Any way to select banzuke based on number of sanyaku?

38 minutes ago, Morty said:
3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I agree with Morty on this.  You have to go back a long way before you see Wakatakakage using uwatenage, something which was a mainstay in the Wolf's arsenal IIRC.

14 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I suspect my comments will smack of conspiracy theory, but ...

Wakatakakage at M1e has just faced three straight Ozeki, upsetting two of them in the process.  It would make sense that he would face another/the only other Ozeki (i.e., Terunofuji) on day 4.  But for whatever reason, he will face S1e Takayasu, temporarily skipping Terunofuji. 

My suspicion is that maybe (just maybe) Isegahama Oyakata – Terunofuji's stablemaster and head of the Judging Committee which sets matches – may have purposely sparred his "horse in the race" from having to fight a dangerous and currently red-hot opponent (i.e., Wakatakakage) at this early stage.  

No. 

The reason he's not facing Terunofuji is because Terunofuji is not available. You'll notice that so far each Ozeki has to take on a Komusubi in turn, according to rank order. Terunofuji is the 4th Ozeki so on Day 4 he gets a Komusubi. The scheduling has been perfectly standard. They should face each other tomorrow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I agree with Morty on this.  You have to go back a long way before you see Wakatakakage using uwatenage, something which was a mainstay in the Wolf's arsenal IIRC.

He would have to get a LOT better on the belt before he has the same sumo style as the Wolf

4 hours ago, since_94 said:

That was one of, if not the most, graceful things I have ever seen in this beautiful sport. Should have been a torinaoshi. Blown call.

Not really. In slow mo, Daieisho hopped onto the Tamara, but the forward momentum caused his big toe to dip over the tawara and touched the sand, all the while Shodai was just motionless and getting ready to hop UP to cushion the impact.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rhyen said:
5 hours ago, since_94 said:

That was one of, if not the most, graceful things I have ever seen in this beautiful sport. Should have been a torinaoshi. Blown call.

Not really. In slow mo, Daieisho hopped onto the Tamara, but the forward momentum caused his big toe to dip over the tawara and touched the sand, all the while Shodai was just motionless and getting ready to hop UP to cushion the impact.

Not what the shimpan said though; the commentary made no mention of the toe, and Daieisho was deemed to be dead first. May or may not have had something to do with the fact that Shodai was still pushing up on his other leg trying to unbalance him before they both went off.

5 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

As others already mentioned he has the looks, his sumo is quite different. What makes him stand out is his unrelenting determination, imho.

No.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Not what the shimpan said though; the commentary made no mention of the toe, and Daieisho was deemed to be dead first. May or may not have had something to do with the fact that Shodai was still pushing up on his other leg trying to unbalance him before they both went off.

I'm not clear on whether this matters or not but Daieisho was below the level of the Dohyo before Shodai hit it. In other words, the only reason Shodai touched it first was that Daieisho had jumped over the edge and was in freefall.

7 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

The fact that he ended up not wearing a supporter for his bout suggests to me that pressure from the supporter was causing him pain rather than helping reinforce the elbow.

Where I come from, a "supporter" is only worn one place, and it's not the elbow.  Until reading the last word of this sentence, I thought I was being sent down a weird, weird rabbit hole.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

No.

No, you don't want to discuss it?

1 minute ago, nagora said:

No, you don't want to discuss it?

No, no.

Nope.  

I think the next [insert great athlete's name] is an understandable trope on every sports discussion ever, but it's also not really worth discussing, especially regarding insane one in a million guys. He can aspire to be as successful, which would mean start winning Yushos right about now and get to Yokozuna... 

Wakatakakage should aim to be the  Wakatakakage instead of the next Chiyonofuji IMHO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Wakatakakage is the new Chiyonofuji. Discuss. 

Ah for the innocent, carefree days of November 2016, when I was suggesting the same thing about Ishiura. I was just a teensy bit over-optimistic on that one I suppose.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morty said:

But his sumo is looking pretty good. I half-jokingly predicted Wakatakakage would yusho with several friends before the basho began. For the amount of chatter he's gotten, his breakthrough in makuuchi has been very impressive

11 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Ah for the innocent, carefree days of November 2016, when I was suggesting the same thing about Ishiura. I was just a teensy bit over-optimistic on that one I suppose.

I'm still not counting him out. A frustrating loss today but full of spirit. I don't know about a yokozuna run but Ishiura could use a KK this basho, no doubt.

4 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Not sure if I follow the Chiyonofuji discussion. In one particular video he was limping out of the dohyo (Beingninja...)

LOL I saw him too. Kinta might be putting these "mistakes" to see who actually pays attention to his videos.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

a poor tenure as yokozuna may well end his otherwise fantastically inspiring career on a bit of a sour note. 

I'd argue an obvious Yokozuna candidate not making it due to injuries is just as, if not more, sour. We'll never get to see what could have been with a healthy Yokozuna Terunofuji, but somehow we may get to see him wear the rope anyways. Regardless of how that potential tenure ends, I think he'd always be remembered as the guy that made Ozeki, dropped to nowhere and managed to not only fight back but even surpass his old self.

• Like 2