Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

Just now, Gurowake said:
3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Isegahama has said he needs 13 wins and a yusho.

https://twitter.com/asahi_osumo/status/1396408813381582851

There's what they say now and what ends up happening in the event he falls just short.  Yes, I can definitely see them saying now that he needs 13 and a yusho, but I also see them saying "good enough" if he falls just short of either.

I can see the aspirational logic, but Takayasu hasn't exactly inspired with his charge back to ozeki. He had a golden opportunity to make an emphatic statement last basho but absolutely blew it, so it doesn't help that he's still yusholess and the only ozeki in recent history (no, Miyabiyama isn't recent) to still not have a title to his name. I think the 13 is negotiable, but the yusho won't be; it's cup or bust for him.

4 hours ago, Godango said:

I don't know why Kakuryu is even being mentioned in this context, 14-1 D / 14-1 Y is an obvious promotion. Takakeisho hasn't come close to that. 

Not to mention that Kakuryu had to defeat Hakuho and assorted elite sekitori (including Harumafuji and future Yokozuna Kisenosato) along the way.  And that was when those big names were still more or less at the top of their games.

17 minutes ago, Ripe said:

Just out of curiosity... if both Terunofuji and Takakeisho get promoted following next Basho, who will be considered 73rd and who will be 74th Yokozuna? Would 73rd be whomever retire first?

I believe the senior one, Teru, will be the 73rd. However, it's highly unlikely that the two will be promoted after this July basho.

21 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Then there's Takayasu up for Ozeki.  I'd put him in the same boat as Terunofuji in terms of performance needed - 13 wins should obviously be enough, but 12 wins and a yusho should also be sufficient given recent precedence

Isegahama specifically said "a 13-win yusho" for what it's worth.

7 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I can see the aspirational logic, but Takayasu hasn't exactly inspired with his charge back to ozeki. He had a golden opportunity to make an emphatic statement last basho but absolutely blew it, so it doesn't help that he's still yusholess and the only ozeki in recent history (no, Miyabiyama isn't recent) to still not have a title to his name. I think the 13 is negotiable, but the yusho won't be; it's cup or bust for him.

I don't think "yusho" is anything more than code for "strong, convincing sumo" in this case.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

I don't think "yusho" is anything more than code for "strong, convincing sumo" in this case.

Then he's even more sunk because he's lost the plot ever since the wheels came off his 2-win lead in March. Terunofuji even broke his duck against him this basho.

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

I believe the senior one, Teru, will be the 73rd. However, it's highly unlikely that the two will be promoted after this July basho.

Tamanoumi is listed as 51st while being younger than 52nd Kitanofuji who was promoted at the same time.  It's definitely order of retirement.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Then he's even more sunk because he's lost the plot ever since the wheels came off his 2-win lead in March. Terunofuji even broke his duck against him this basho.

That's where I disagree completely. My personal eye test assessment is that Takayasu's sumo has looked like that of a perfectly acceptable ozeki for the last three tournaments. The collapse was bad, but seriously, we're not looking for him to be yokozuna here.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sue said:

What actually happens to the clay and tawara that make up the dohyo after the basho is over? It's all been ritually blessed, so just dumping it in a landfill seems disrespectful.

In Tokyo, the dohyo is sunk into the ground when not in use, and rebuilt before the start of each Tokyo basho. Presumably that means the yobidashi take care of it, but IIRC they reuse bits of the foundation for the next dohyo.

I don't know about Osaka and Fukuoka, but in Nagoya, the fans do the dismantling; they would tear the dohyo to pieces and bring them home as souvenirs.

Puts me in mind of the Frankie Boyle joke about Wembley, but thank goodness the similarities to football mostly stop there.

Edited by Seiyashi

Oh, the heck with it. 3 way playoff in July between Terunofuji, Takakeisho and Takayasu. Takakeisho wins the yusho. All 3 get promoted for Aki. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Oh, the heck with it. 3 way playoff in July between Terunofuji, Takakeisho and Takayasu. Takakeisho wins the yusho. All 3 get promoted for Aki. 

But Mitakeumi needs a yusho for ozeki too... 4-way playoff pretty please? And with a zensho cherry on top? (Laughing...)

Edited by Seiyashi

31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Not to mention that Kakuryu had to defeat Hakuho and assorted elite sekitori (including Harumafuji and future Yokozuna Kisenosato) along the way.  And that was when those big names were still more or less at the top of their games.

I know it's off topic, but I miss Harumafuji :-(

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

but, for Nagoya, Takakeisho and Terunofuji will both go for an early kyujo,  Shodai will go kadoban again, Takayasu will pull an Ozeki run busting 9-6, and Mitakeumi will get the 14-1 yusho and be strongly considered for ozeki in Aki ( 2 of the 3 kadoban ozekis will not survive).  Hakuho will get the 13-2 JY and Waka will go for Shodai again.  B-)

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Tamanoumi is listed as 51st while being younger than 52nd Kitanofuji who was promoted at the same time.  It's definitely order of retirement.

Tamanoumi was promoted to ozeki before Kitanofuji, also Kashiwado before Taiho. Thus Tama and Kashi were considered senior than Kita and Tai, respectively. That's the reason why Tama and Kashi were, respectively, sequencially before Kita and Tai as yokozunas, I believe. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

With this talk of who would be 73rd or 74th yokozuna, I can't help but imagine a scenario where they crash into each other so hard in next basho's yusho decider that they combine into 1 unstoppable monster yokozuna called Terunokeisho (Sakke...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

With this talk of who would be 73rd or 74th yokozuna, I can't help put imagine a scenario where they crash into each other so hard in next basho's yusho decider that they combine into 1 unstoppable monster yokozuna called Terunokeisho (Sakke...)

Sometimes I daydream about merging Enho with Ichinojo. Enho's mind in Ichinojo's body (minus back pains, of course). Ultimate rikishi.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Tamanoumi was promoted to ozeki before Kitanofuji, also Kashiwado before Taiho. Thus Tama and Kashi were considered senior than Kita and Tai, respectively. That's the reason why Tama and Kashi were, respectively, sequencially before Kita and Tai as yokozunas, I believe. 

Checks out with Terukuni and Akinoumi, but not Hitachiyama and Umegatani.

I assume they just dispense with the numbering as part of the introduction.  Or perhaps they always have to attend the same events and have them introduced simultaneously as #73 and #74, alternating per event who gets labeled as which if taken respectively.

That's an incredibly weird thing!  Hakuho fans can have a Hakuho69 Instagram page, but nobody can call one of these guys the 73rd or 74th Yokozuna until they retire??  Flip a special Shinto coin or something [all due respect!]

Come to think of it, it does remind me of another tradition, the nengo system of era names.  "Don't refer to Terunofuji as the '73rd Yokozuna' until after he retires!"

I was hoping for a three-way play-off, but Endo is Endo after all.

Great win by Terunofuji, I am happy that the infamous hairpull will become an anecdote instead of and excuse for arguing.

On a side note: I am surprised of how little did I miss Hakuho. 

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I don't know about Osaka and Fukuoka, but in Nagoya, the fans do the dismantling; they would tear the dohyo to pieces and bring them home as souvenirs.

In Fukuoka the audience was prevented from accessing the dohyo when I was there. The yobidashi were pretty quick at getting the roof lowered (which pretty much prevented dohyo access anyway) and removing the tassels. No, no touching the tassels either.

I kinda suspect they are working hard at not having to pay rent for Monday.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bettega said:
3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I know it's off topic, but I miss Harumafuji :-(

IMHO, Harumafuji is never off topic!  How do you think I came up with my avatar and name? ;-)

4 hours ago, Kurowashi said:

Which color had the macaron ?

It was Stranglers-style. One side gold, other side brown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Benihana said:

It was Stranglers-style. One side gold, other side brown.

Uhh nice ! Many thanks :)

4 hours ago, Katooshu said:

With this talk of who would be 73rd or 74th yokozuna, I can't help but imagine a scenario where they crash into each other so hard in next basho's yusho decider that they combine into 1 unstoppable monster yokozuna called Terunokeisho (Sakke...)

T-rex size to go with those t-rex arms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3