Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

A double inside grip against Terunofuji is just asking for a loss by kimedashi

9 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Short notice Akinomaki IS kyujo Working on kuukido Enjoying thé basho

Is that 空気度 or gairaigo for "cookie dough"?  Inquiring minds want to know!

It looked to me as though Meisei was taking a few liberties before his match with Terunofuji today. He seemed to be delaying things which meant that Terunofuji had to spend more time than necessary in a probably painful "knees bent" posture. I think that's why Teru decided to chuck him off the dohyo rather than just easing him over the bales. Old Welsh proverb says "Don't poke a dragon in the eye unless you want a scorched arse".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Tochinoshin, his demeanour, his awesome strength, and his glorious comeback from injury that saw him promoted to Ozeki.  But ..., seeing him lose today to Ichinojo (for the fourth straight time) has all but convinced me that his heyday is definitely behind him.

To be fair to Tochinoshin, Ichinojo isn't exactly easy pickings and losing to him is not a massive problem in and of itself. But I do generally agree that Tochinoshin's best days are behind him.

40 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

In a similar vein, we waited for nine days to get a win from all three Ozeki last Basho, this basho all FOUR won in the first day. 

The cable camera or whatever that was during the bow dance was really cool. I liked some of today's stuff a lot. 

Normal additional camera on a crane. With no spectators, they planted it on some seats. Don't see it possible after day 3, unless they cordon  off about 10 seats and don't sell them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Benihana said:

Will the US President's Cup be awarded this year, or has it already been cancelled?

It's not actually given by the US government. I believe such a thing is proscribed by law. Trump instituted that using private funds similar to what was done with the Presidents Cup in golf. With golf later Presidents continue to participate at some level but there is nothing saying they can't present it without the current President. I hope Biden continues but I highly doubt given the pandemic he would actually show up. Trump could present it again if he chooses to but probably not. In any case I hope it continues.

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Tochinoshin, his demeanour, his awesome strength, and his glorious comeback from injury that saw him promoted to Ozeki.  But ..., seeing him lose today to Ichinojo (for the fourth straight time) has all but convinced me that his heyday is definitely behind him.

His heyday is definitely behind him but he's still pretty strong. Ichinojo is just a very bad matchup for him in his current state. To beat Ihcinojo he needs to lift him out and that just isn't happening anymore. Ichinojo is too heavy,  and Tochinoshin is too tall,  for Tochinoshin to beat him. IMO.

Edited by Rocks

7 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

It looked to me as though Meisei was taking a few liberties before his match with Terunofuji today. He seemed to be delaying things which meant that Terunofuji had to spend more time than necessary in a probably painful "knees bent" posture. I think that's why Teru decided to chuck him off the dohyo rather than just easing him over the bales. Old Welsh proverb says "Don't poke a dragon in the eye unless you want a scorched arse".

Meisei is there to try and win, not work on a timeframe that suits his opponent's tachiai, whoever he is. But to be honest, I've long been surprised that more rikishi don't try to exploit Terunofuji's reluctance to put his hands down first, because when he does his tachiai seems less potent to me. A wilful fault has no excuse, and deserves no pardon - Welsh proverb.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hakutorizakura said:

but no surprises either today.

Hello!?!?! All 4 Ozeki won today. Isn't that enough for you? Spoiled brat (Ranting...)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Benihana said:

Ok, when was the last time, you used this word in an everyday conversation?

Personally?  Three days ago, during a big kerfuffle; I was non-plussed, to say the least.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

You would be almost right if not for Asanoyama beating Komusubi Daieisho today. And usually, it's impossible because a yokozuna is almost always scheduled to fight a komusubi on opening day.

It's quite rare for there ever to be no intrasanyaku matches.  At least one will happen each day unless there's only 6 sanyaku competing from the start or enough sanyaku withdraw in future days.  They're very intentionally spread out nearly as equally as possible, with the exception of wanting 3 for Day 15 if it's still possible.  It certainly happens from time to time, especially recently with the paucity of competing Ozeki and Yokozuna the last few years.

And I'd still say he's as right as he can be, as all the sanyaku won their matches against maegashira, and the higher-ranked sanyaku won their match against the remaining sanyaku.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 12:57, The Fat Cyclist said:

We need an "Ouch" reaction :)

Please, get in line; we have requests fro "groan" and "rimshot" in the queue (although if you're willing to amend "Ouch" to "groan", we can get you to the head of the line!)

7 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

According to imaginary sources, the Cup was stolen just like a certain election. ;-)  

How about let’s not try to encourage the political talk? I feel that this is open invitation for just that

12 hours ago, Benihana said:

Will the US President's Cup be awarded this year, or has it already been cancelled?

The JPM visited the US this year, so no.  When it was awarded, the take I got from news shows was that the US President must be in  person to hand out the award.  Since the current Prez is a little frail, and his VP is a female (can of worms, Open Sesame!), it may be awhile before that's handed out.

20 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

no Ozeki runs

Well, not any real ones, but Takayasu likely gets repromoted with a good Yusho (at least 13 wins).

35 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

A lot of contrafibularities here.

Now, now, there's no need to get phrasmotic and compunctuous on this forum.

4 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Well, not any real ones, but Takayasu likely gets repromoted with a good Yusho (at least 13 wins).

I'm inclined to disagree on him getting repromoted right away. I think even with a yusho they'll ask him to give a second exceptional performance in Nagoya

Terunofuji maintains his ten point lead in the imaginary "most wins in the last six basho"  competiion.

My sums aren't the best but I have the top ten as follows:

58 Terunofuji

48 Takayasu

47 Daieisho

46 Takakeisho, Shodai

45 Asanoyama

44 Mitakeumi, Takanosho

42 Hokutofuji

39 Kotoeko (yes really)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Terunofuji maintains his ten point lead in the imaginary "most wins in the last six basho"  competiion. 

This can be done fairly easily with a publicly-available database query

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&n_basho=6&sum_wins=39&sum_range=6&show_sum=on&form1_year=2020.07&form1_m=on&form2_m=on&form3_m=on&form4_m=on&form5_m=on&form6_m=on&sort_by=sum_wins

It took me a few tries to get exactly what you were looking at, as I first thought it was over the last 6 finished basho, but all your numbers were too low for that.  I also included Juryo at first, since you didn't say otherwise, but that added a lot more people.

Edit: that query also shows their starting rank, so really the leader of the competition for those in the joi the entire time is Daieisho, though Terunofuji's 11 win lead and only one basho below M1 certainly makes a strong statement.  Takayasu's 48 is a bit easier to discount with 2 basho outside the joi and only one more win than Daieisho.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

I see Chiyotairyu has his tachiai back (Punkrocker...)

Tamawashi looks good as my dark horse pick (previous yusho not withstanding...) with a win against a strong tachiai from Kagayaki 

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I’m not convinced. This basho could be the second in an Ozeki run though. A 13-2 would put him on 32/45 and I don’t feel that the 9-6 two basho ago is strong enough to back that up. Plus he choked in the yusho race last time around and we already have four Ozeki. I can’t see the Kyokai rushing to repromote him on that record.

5 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Now, now, there's no need to get phrasmotic and compunctuous on this forum.

This discussion embiggens us all

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

My sums aren't the best but I have the top ten as follows:

58 Terunofuji

48 Takayasu

47 Daieisho

46 Takakeisho, Shodai

45 Asanoyama

44 Mitakeumi, Takanosho

42 Hokutofuji

39 Kotoeko (yes really)

I was gonna say records in juryo probably shouldn't count w.r.t. Kotoeko, but it somehow Terunofuji slipped my mind completely. Even if you do strike his 10 wins in juryo from the list, he's still tied first.