Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

Recommended Posts

I hope Terunofuji can regroup from this, it looked to me as though he momentarily went off-balance and was trying to correct his balance, and had ample opportunity to execute the throw by leaning down on Myogiryu's shoulder/back.  But I agree that all hair-pulls, accidental or otherwise, have to be treated consistently.  You can't allow it one day and forbid it the next.

 

Swami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

At the risk of splitting, ahem, hairs, that removes the whole point of having fouls in the first place. The point of a foul is to disallow behaviour that has a prejudged increased risk of injury not within the conceptions of the sport. Eikokurai and Benihana have good analogies a couple pages back, but it's no answer to a foul call that you didn't cause harm. The rules are there for a reason and the violation of the rule itself is actionable, not the causing of harm to the opponent.

But then again, why is sokubiotoshi an official kimarite when it's very hard to not make it look like a grab of hair?

And watch the slomo replays closely: what was Terunofuji supposed to do with his right hand? Flail in the air?

Yeah, I know, riding a rotting carcass of a horse here which I wish was still alive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

If Enho had pulled out of this tournament on Day 2, when Ura wrenched his right arm (note too that he was already sporting an ankle injury), then chances would have been, that he would have dropped all the way out of the salaried Juryo Division.  

By staying in the tournament, he has not only been able to secure four wins (all while injured!) and on two occasions he took home some kensho prize money for his troubles.  I know many fans with legitimate concern for Enho's physical well-being would have preferred that he forget about the cruel reality and pressure of the banzuke system, and withdraw to lick his wounds.  But let's face it, that's not oozumo.  We are dealing with a deep-seeded mentality that injuries heal in the ring and that the best cure for an injury is winning a bout.  

In this particular case, Enho is defying our fears and fighting through his injuries (not to mention, getting results).  I for one marvel at his courage and determination.  Is it not possible that Enho knows his own body, and in consultation with Miyagino/Hakuho, feels that he is able to carry on?  Sure there is always pressure, but erring on the side of caution is not the Way of Sumo.

I find it hard to believe a kyujo would drop someone from J1e to Makushita. maybe J11-J13

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Kyokushuho had 1 previous disastrous basho in Makuuchi.  The others were Makuuchi regulars in an injury free-fall who deserved a small break.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

At the risk of splitting, ahem, hairs, that removes the whole point of having fouls in the first place. The point of a foul is to disallow behaviour that has a prejudged increased risk of injury not within the conceptions of the sport. Eikokurai and Benihana have good analogies a couple pages back, but it's no answer to a foul call that you didn't cause harm. The rules are there for a reason and the violation of the rule itself is actionable, not the causing of harm to the opponent.

"Yes, officer, I did shoot at the guy, but I missed.  So, no harm no foul?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

But then again, why is sokubiotoshi an official kimarite when it's very hard to not make it look like a grab of hair?

Sokubiotoshi should look like your beheading your opponent. It's a swift chop or strike across the back of the neck, which technically means the hand should be away from the hair. Hatakikomis often come close to hairpulls though.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/techniques/55/

UTv1SGR1_o.png

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dapeng said:

But if a hair-pull is confirmed or highly suspected, it should be judged as a loss to the one who did it because hair-pull is very dangerous

The hair pull is not dangerous.  Every rikishi has a mage which can easily be used as a pulldown handle.  If hair pulls were allowed, half of the matches would end with a predictable yank.  It is a sanity check, not a safety check.  If an inadvertent hair pull occurs in mid match and it is not a factor in the outcome, it is usually ignored.  If a match loser does a hair pull, a hansoku is not normally declared.  

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how hansoku is still the topic in this thread.

 

Feels so...innocent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I like how hansoku is still the topic in this thread.

 

Feels so...innocent.

Why, I can think of nothing more outrageous from the past 24 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Godango said:

Why, I can think of nothing more outrageous from the past 24 hours.

That doesn't already have its own thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Endo and Takakeisho in a Day 13 knockoff match.

I assume that is in lieu of the Asanoyama match. But Shodai has Takarafuji on Day 13 as well, and he, Takakeisho, and Terunofuji can't be fighting each other on Days 14 and 15 without another interloper. So Shodai is saved from up to 2 ozeki matches and may still get his KK safely yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Juryo kachikoshi (majority wins) for Oho (Ouhou)!  Has he finally caught his stride and will make a run for the Top Division?

Grandpa Taiho must be so proud ... up on the dohyo in heaven! ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyokutaisei just handed Spring JR champion Hakuyozan his makekoshi (majority losses) using a tottari arm pull that looked an awful lot like a reverse arm bar...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ura must have taken ballet classes at some point in his life. He often shows some impressive dance moves right at the edge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I assume that is in lieu of the Asanoyama match. But Shodai has Takarafuji on Day 13 as well, and he, Takakeisho, and Terunofuji can't be fighting each other on Days 14 and 15 without another interloper. So Shodai is saved from up to 2 ozeki matches and may still get his KK safely yet. 

It feels like they are trying to make it as easy as possible for Shodai to retain his rank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sakura said:

It feels like they are trying to make it as easy as possible for Shodai to retain his rank.

When you're primed to lose one ozeki by stupidity and another by rope, I'm not at all surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sakura said:
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

I assume that is in lieu of the Asanoyama match. But Shodai has Takarafuji on Day 13 as well, and he, Takakeisho, and Terunofuji can't be fighting each other on Days 14 and 15 without another interloper. So Shodai is saved from up to 2 ozeki matches and may still get his KK safely yet. 

It feels like they are trying to make it as easy as possible for Shodai to retain his rank.

NHK is essentially predicting that Endo steps in for Asanoyama in the intra-ozeki matchups, being scheduled to fight Takakeisho tomorrow and probably Terunofuji and Shodai in that order on days 14/15. With Ichinojo fighting Takakeisho and Terunofuji over today and tomorrow, that should clear up the yusho picture before the weekend.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And suddenly the Endo - ozeki matches don't look that important after all, especially if both ozeki win today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being an Endo fan is very frustrating. Seems like he always loses when he's on the cusp on something important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup this will go down to terunofuji vs takakeisho… i also think this will be the main rivalry for yushos, for the rest of the year until hatsu ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now