Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

12 minutes ago, Fukuyamada said:

I think it's a bit early to panic about Shodai. 3-2 over the next 5 days against his remaining opponents doesn't seem too far-fetched.

When 3 out of 5 are ozeki opponents all in better form than he is, it is. And his two remaining opponents, Onosho and Takanosho, are both powerful oshi-types not to be underestimated. If he drops one against either of them, he's as good as demoted; I don't see him beating both Takakeisho and Terunofuji even if he can beat Asanoyama.

His only possible saving grace is if his matchup with the other ozeki or sanyaku is considered insignificant in context of a yusho race. Then, his intrasanyaku matches may be forgone and he might be fighting lesser opposition while the maegashira on a hot streak (maybe Endo) is brought up to fight the sanyaku opponents that Shodai might otherwise have fought. But that requires Terunofuji to drop a bout or two to bring the 8-2s back into contention; I don't think they would bother for hiramaku opponents 2 off the pace. Alternatively, in an almost sadistic fashion, Shodai himself might be the gatekeeper deputed to deal with those hiramaku upstarts, but if they're in such good form to be in the chase in the first place, they're almost certainly not gimmes for Shodai either.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fukuyamada said:

I think it's a bit early to panic about Shodai. 3-2 over the next 5 days against his remaining opponents doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Not impossible, but given he's 5-5 over the past 10 days against inferior opponents, it seems more likely he'll not clear kadoban than will.

Edited by Eikokurai

25 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

When 3 out of 5 are ozeki opponents all in better form than he is, it is. And his two remaining opponents, Onosho and Takanosho, are both powerful oshi-types not to be underestimated. If he drops one against either of them, he's as good as demoted; I don't see him beating both Takakeisho and Terunofuji even if he can beat Asanoyama.

I think it's still likely he squeaks by. Onosho is looking good this basho but he's as one dimensional as ever and a guy that can move around like Shodai should beat him. Chalk Takanosho up as a win. Takanosho is looking very tired this basho. He's aboard the MK train and snug and comfy in his seat.  Except for some luck in Meisei stepping out he would have lost last night. 

As far as his fellow Ozeki that depends on if Terunofuji falters a bit and gives Takakeisho some hope. If he doesn't and Asanoyama clinches KK before Day 15 then Shodai is going to have a lot more incentive to win than they  are when they meet. The OBSC is very dead but that doesn't mean they will always want to win very much either. Especially with a KK in hand. 

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Not impossible, but given he's 5-5 over the past 10 days against inferior opponents, it seems more likely he'll not clear kadoban than will.

Whatever happens he clearly isn't doing Ozeki level sumo, so as much as I really like him, I'm not convinced he deserves to stay at this level

3 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I think it's still likely he squeaks by. Onosho is looking good this basho but he's as one dimensional as ever and a guy that can move around like Shodai should beat him. Chalk Takanosho up as a win. Takanosho is looking very tired this basho. He's aboard the MK train and snug and comfy in his seat.  Except for some luck in Meisei stepping out he would have lost last night. 

As far as his fellow Ozeki that depends on if Terunofuji falters a bit and gives Takakeisho some hope. If he doesn't and Asanoyama clinches KK before Day 15 then Shodai is going to have a lot more incentive to win than they  are when they meet. The OBSC is very dead but that doesn't mean they will always want to win very much either. Especially with a KK in hand. 

Yeah, I agree Takanosho is his most likely bout to win, but it'll be dicey at best against Onosho. It's much easier for him if he beats both of them so he only needs to beat one ozeki opponent, but he needs to pray much much harder for results to be falling his way if he loses to either of the non-ozeki as he can only lose once more.

Either way, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't be betting too hard on him remaining ozeki next basho, but I wouldn't write him off as a permanent demotee either; 10 is not difficult for him when he's in form. I rate Shodai's chances of ending this basho with a KK 60% at best.

Speaking of promotions and demotions, is Asashosakari kyujo this basho again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:
1 hour ago, Fukuyamada said:

When 3 out of 5 are ozeki opponents all in better form than he is, it is.

You do realize the irony of your statement, don't you? B-)

31 minutes ago, Rocks said:

The OBSC is very dead but that doesn't mean they will always want to win very much either. Especially with a KK in hand. 

Oops, sorry. I missed the funeral. :-O

13 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

You do realize the irony of your statement, don't you? B-)

:squints: not really, since I made it entirely unironically...? (Scratchingchin...)

EDIT: I should have said it's not too early rather than it is too early? Although I think I meant it was far fetched for 3-2 rather than not far fetched.

Edited by Seiyashi

It's never too early to worry about an ozeki who hasn't got a winning record.

• Haha 2

Is it too early to get on the Next Ozeki Shodai bandwagon?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Speaking of promotions and demotions, is Asashosakari kyujo this basho again?

He may be. I could probably manage the promotion/demotion thread if he is unable. I'll wait and see if he posts a Day 10 or not.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Benihana said:

I hope Azumaryu didn't get injured. You could hear him shout out in pain and after the bout he looked uncomfortable with his left elbow.

Yeah, Akua started a pivot and you can see Azumaru's elbow hyperextend.

4 hours ago, Sue said:

Is it too early to get on the Next Ozeki Shodai bandwagon?

Maybe it will work out like: Sekiwake -> 10 wins -> Ozeki -> 7 wins -> kadoban -> 7 wins -> Sekiwake; then just churn and churn and churn.

Result: Shodai, the Perennial Next Ozeki.

• Haha 1

I've got my eye on Ichiyamamoto, but I'm not convinced he can handle Ura.

Prove me wrong, Ichi!

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Prove me wrong, Ichi!

He just did.

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:
2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Prove me wrong, Ichi!

He just did.

You welcome! :-D

I'm dying to see what strategy Enho uses against Chiyomaru!  I hoping for some Enho magic.  He dropped his taping for the ring entering ceremony, but I suspect he'll have it and a tensor bandage/supporter for the bout itself...

#avoid that MK pls

Edited by Amamaniac

13 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I'm dying to see what strategy Enho uses against Chiyomaru!  I hoping for some Enho magic.  He dropped his taping for the ring entering ceremony, but I suspect he'll have it and a tensor bandage/supporter for the bout itself...

#avoid that MK pls

On the one hand it's great that he seems to be fighting more intelligently/better to take into account his injuries. On the other hand.... injuries.

21 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

o rly (Thinkingindepth...)

Seriously though, Myogiryu is a free win. Endo is having a great basho, he should've been the choice along with Onosho.

Thinking about it, this may be a case of rank privilege coming into effect. If Endo faced and beat Terunofuji today, he'd be one win behind with Teru to face all the Ozeki over the remaining four days. Potentially Teru could lose one or more of his theoretically tougher bouts, while Endo keeps on winning against inferior opponents and moves into the lead. Of course, Endo could be thrown some tougher bouts too, but the Ozeki schedules are more or less set for the rest of the basho. The Kyokai may want to avoid a situation where Endo creeps up on the inside and beats the Ozeki to the yusho. It's not quite the same as when 14-1 Ichinojo was denied a bout against Hakuho in March 2019 - in that case he only trailed by one - but it's not dissimilar. Generally speaking, a lower-ranked rikishi in pursuit doesn't get the chance to beat the leader himself if the leader is sanyaku. 

Obviously, this could still happen anyway with Endo fighting his regular mid-hiramaku schedule but a two-win cushion versus a one-win cushion makes a big difference. If it looks like Teru is slipping up while Endo isn't, then I'd expect Endo to be thrown to a couple of lions on the final weekend.

Edited by Eikokurai

Man if they take this away from Teru...

Well that is an outrageous decision, in my book.

• Like 2

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Wow, the basho just became interesting again.

Ouch. That hairpull.