Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

3 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

It's to note that one of your previous posts was dedicated to the perception opponents have, and not actually what is coming from the rikishi themselves. You can scroll up and read it yourself mate. Further, you pretty much suggested yourself that physical apperance (body language) is what assumptions of confidence are based on, and Asanoyama scowling would certainly be a change in his body language.

I really don't understand why the question rattles you so much!

I’m not even remotely rattled.

This is my yearly "spread the conspiracy" day. I just got into a huge discussion about my take on what is really happening here and was threatened with all kinds of terrible deaths. Now, this is my theory. Watching Ura and Terunofuji and seeing they are taped up almost exactly in the same fashion, I put it to you that their opponents, either knowingly or subliminally, are not giving their 100% when facing them, for fear of being the ones to end their careers and their individual Cinderella stories. Thank you for watching. Now back to my knitting.

• Haha 5

If I may add my two scents here (I have no sense of smell-what's the word for it in English?). As the translator of things, in most of Asanoyama's interviews lately, he does give a sense of indecisiveness as to how to proceed from here re his sumo style. He goes off on rather long discussions with himself regarding that, and more so lately. He derides himself for not being able to come up with a plan once he doesn't get his right. He has admitted more than once that now that his opponents have learned how to shut him out of his favorite grip, he needs to come up with some other measures. I guess he is in search mode at the moment. Hence the mayoi

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

If I may add my two scents here (I have no sense of smell-what's the word for it in English?). As the translator of things, in most of Asanoyama's interviews lately, he does give a sense of indecisiveness as to how to proceed from here re his sumo style. He goes off on rather long discussions with himself regarding that, and more so lately. He derides himself for not being able to come up with a plan once he doesn't get his right. He has admitted more than once that now that his opponents have learned how to shut him out of his favorite grip, he needs to come up with some other measures. I guess he is in search mode at the moment. Hence the mayoi

This makes total sense to me. He looks like he's overthinking it and is constantly berating himself for his choices. He just needs to settle and he'll be back to top form I'm sure. His ozeki career is young and he's not going anywhere. We're talking about the switch from solid ozeki to yusho winning ozeki, there's not much in it.

May Basho Links and Statistics Blog--Day 1-9: results, kimarite and time of match statistics, kachi-koshi/make-koshi, Top Rank Performance, maegashira v san'yaku, Juryo substitutes performance, and more

May Basho--Day 1-9

• Like 1

Ross just used my "Takakeishou 15 seconds" theory. Good news travels fast. Essentially, I maintain that Takakeishou loses his bouts when they take more than 15 seconds. (OK, Ross said ten seconds, but he's wrong there.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Kiyomigata oyakata (ex Tochiozan) is the black box oyakata commentator today. Highlights from March 2009 where he beat 3 ozeki - Kotooshu, Harumafuji, and Chiyotaikai - were shown.

25 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Kiyomigata oyakata (ex Tochiozan) is the black box oyakata commentator today. Highlights from March 2009 where he beat 3 ozeki - Kotooshu, Harumafuji, and Chiyotaikai - were shown.

And he's getting grilled by Mainoumi, who is sitting in the main seat:

""Hey Tochiozan, you were in a playoff a few years back, weren't you. That must have been a frustrating loss. I had you as the favorite over the venerable Kyokutenho, but I guess I was wrong..."

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Haha 1

Mainoumi is getting waspish as he gets older. Give him 20 years and he'll be a good replacement for Kitanofuji.

32 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Ross just used my "Takakeishou 15 seconds" theory. Good news travels fast. Essentially, I maintain that Takakeishou loses his bouts when they take more than 15 seconds. (OK, Ross said ten seconds, but he's wrong there.)

If Enho ever meets Takakeisho again, he should just play keep away from Takaeishio for 15 seconds for a sure win.  

• Like 1

Terutsuyoshi seems determined not to have his thunder stolen by Hoshoryu - pulls the same uchigake move against Tsurugisho, although it goes a bit high and is called as kakenage.

Edited by Seiyashi

9 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Terutsuyoshi seems determined not to have his thunder stolen by Hoshoryu - pulls the same uchigake move against Tsurugisho, although it goes a bit high and is called as kakenage.

Tsurugisho just stood there without any idea on what to do next.  That was rather pathetic.   A good "technical" win by the little guy.  

• Like 1

Konosuke has now, I think, worn the same gown four days running.

3 hours ago, Houmanumi said:
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This makes total sense to me. He looks like he's overthinking it and is constantly berating himself for his choices. He just needs to settle and he'll be back to top form I'm sure. His ozeki career is young and he's not going anywhere. We're talking about the switch from solid ozeki to yusho winning ozeki, there's not much in it.

Part of it, which I think he's missing, is the hallowed "taking things a day at a time". I get the feeling that he's hung up over his losses more than he should be, and compared to the other ozeki, he takes a lot more to snap out of a funk once he's lost. It's not great to be known as the ozeki who has first half chokes, even if he can rally in the second week and produce credible results.

To be fair to him though, part of it is also getting shown up by Terunofuji in his debut ozeki tournament and consistently thereafter, part of it is being compared to Takakeisho who is far more assertive in his sumo than Asanoyama is, and part of it is also the mismatch between ozeki expectations and reality (which we've discussed at some length the last basho, IIRC).

• Like 1

Tochinoshin might be done for for this basho. He doesn't seem to be able to use his right leg at all and the knee seems to have been tweaked further in his bout with Myogiryu. Of course he mightn't want to go kyujo but I don't see the difference between a 2-13 and a 2-8-5.

Also, since when has Aoiyama needed a huge knee brace like Tochinoshin and Terunofuji?

Edited by Seiyashi

Tobizaru should get some sort of 'Spirited in defeat' Award this basho. Somehow he's 1-8 despite not actually fighting that badly!

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Tobizaru should get some sort of 'Spirited in defeat' Award this basho. Somehow he's 1-8 despite not actually fighting that badly!

Only he and Hokutofuji will ever get that award.

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Hokutofuji is the first in line for that award.  :-)

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Hokutofuji is the first in line for that award.  :-)

You have to makekoshi to be eligible and Hokutofuji has not yet succumbed to that fate.

Edited by Eikokurai

Henka?  Et tu, Mitakeumi?   At least, Enho had no choice.   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

While we're on the topic of new sansho, can we give Takayasu - or his tokoyama - the Spiffiest Oichomage award?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

You have to makekoshi to be eligible and Hokutofuji has not yet succumbed to that fate.

Hokutofuji will get that MK before the yusho is over.

2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:
6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hokutofuji will get that MK before the yusho is over.

He might avoid that MK yet; he's more or less done with the dangerous members of the sanyaku. Takanosho is the one in greater danger of the MK methinks, especially comparing their week 2 fightcards.

Edited by Seiyashi

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

He might avoid that MK yet; he's more or less done with the dangerous members of the sanyaku. Takanosho is the one in greater danger of the MK methinks, especially comparing their week 2 fightcards.

I am right about 50% on my predictions.   So, Hokutofuji's chance at KK is fairly good.  :-)   

• Haha 1