Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He is a bit lower than usual and is looking really bored, wins notwithstanding. A makekoshi will speed up the process.

He did say pre Basho he is tired of covid. Not a big drinker but missed going out and letting off steam.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

It would definitely mess with torikumi matchups, and make the odds of a brother v. brother ketteisen ... somewhat(?) more likely.

Let a man dream. ;-)

I hope the Sakamoto brothers make it in two years or so-that would be cool.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

If he does retire ex-Kotoyuki will have to find another elder stock. He would have held the Kimigahama kabu for only one basho; would that be a record?

Well, I don't know if it's the shortest ever stint in a myoseki, but Daimonji held Oshiogawa for a little over two months before switching to Nishiiwa. I only spotted that when checking on a few things recently, so there could well be others that are shorter.

Perhaps we should exclude those stints that occur shortly before an oyakata's mandatory retirement, like Katsuhikari's five-day reunion with his original Wakafuji myoseki, for example.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I'm not old enough to remember the last time Okinoumi looked "interested".

Yes, I know, but this time it feels different altogether. He looks sad.

7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I foresee a refinement question coming - when was the last time a wrestler in makuuchi went kachi-koshi and went intai of his own free will?

Funnily, I'd have thought Ikioi would have been the post-basho retirement rather than Okinoumi, given he's the one at Ms41 whose elder stock has just been freed up.

Well, that one pretty much goes without saying, but then why wait till the end of the basho? 

Does anyone have mae-zumo results? My mother needs them.

• Haha 2

Terunofuji is doing so incredibly well. It's great to see him so consistent. I'm hoping for a Terunofuji zensho, followed by hopefully one final basho where he fights for the title with Hakuho and actually wins.

I don't know if we'll ever see Hakuho on the dohyo again (I've missed the discussion about this—no need to side track the topic though) but I'd love to see a "handover" to Terunofuji as the new master.

Does anyone else here feel that Abi seems to have taken a professional approach to each and every single one of his makushita bouts?

If he deems his aite as much inferior to him, he'll play them around with some yotsu for experience and funsies.

If he thinks they might be a threat, he layeth the smackdown on them with Abizumo.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Does anyone else here feel that Abi seems to have taken a professional approach to each and every single one of his makushita bouts?

If he deems his aite as much inferior to him, he'll play them around with some yotsu for experience and funsies.

If he thinks they might be a threat, he layeth the smackdown on them with Abizumo.

I think his punishment was the best thing that could've happened to him and his career, as harsh as it may sound.

Edited by Hakuryuho

22 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

I think his punishment was the best thing that could've happened to him and his career, as harsh as it may sound.

While I generally agree and hope you're right, I'm not sure I'd say he's respecting his opponent more like he really wants that salary back, considering he's a new father. The true test of change is when he makes it back to the joi, not now.

While we're on that subject, does anyone else here feel that Ichiyamamoto is a physical double of Abi, except with some superior yotsu belt skills?  It will be interesting to see those two wrestlers fight each other in the ring, perhaps even as early as later this year.  Abi has both a weight and reach advantage over Ichiyamamoto, not to mention experience.  Still, I would definitely stay up late to watch that matchup.

• Like 2

Aside from the odd lack of new names in the sekitori ranks for this tournament, there is another odd thing happening.

In the Top Division, Terunofuji moved into the sole lead of the championship race on day 4, with 14 trailers.  By day 5, the number of trailers was down to 8.  And at the end of day 6, it was down to 2.

Meanwhile, in the Juryo Division, A Normal Life star, Kyokutaisei became the sole leader on day 5, with 6 trailers.  And at the end of day 6, there were but two trailers.

It is still early in the tournament, but surprisingly both salaried divisions already have a solitary frontrunner.  Barring injury, Terunofuji inspires the belief that he will go on to win his division's championship this month (again).  Kyokutaisei, on the other hand, doesn't quite inspire the same belief, ... at least not in me.

20 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Kyokutaisei, on the other hand, doesn't quite inspire the same belief, ... at least not in me.

Juryo is intensely fratricidal, anyway, with a lot of parity. I wouldn't trust a lead in that division until someone opens up two or more wins late in the basho.

• Like 2

I've noticed before that the scores in Juryo tend to bunch up, without anyone standing out. Has it ever happened in Juryo that *everyone* got the same number of wins vs. losses, like 4-4 or 6-6? 

just a question if terunofuji goes 15-0 is there a chance he will get promoted?

15 minutes ago, wolfgangho said:

Zero

Some pretty images from today's broadcast.

VoYmEnC.jpg

igPgwQw.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dada78641 said:

Terunofuji is doing so incredibly well. It's great to see him so consistent. I'm hoping for a Terunofuji zensho, followed by hopefully one final basho where he fights for the title with Hakuho and actually wins.

Can understand that but I'd like Hakuho to come back for one final basho and put everyone in their place reminding us of how great he's been.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

would it not be interesting if one day four pairs of brothers populated the Top Division of the banzuke!  Would that not be some kind of record? 

It would indeed. The only time there have ever been three sets of brothers in makuuchi at the same time was November 2006 (Asofuji and Aminishiki, Kitazakura and Toyozakura, Roho and Hakurozan). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfgangho said:

He will be promoted all the way to Ozeki 1e! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

He will be promoted all the way to Ozeki 1e! 

And well-deserved!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faustonowaka said:

Zero [chance that Teru gets promoted with a zensho]

If the operating procedure of the YDC is that a unanimous vote is required, I agree, there will be at least one member who will not allow it.  If only a majority is required though, there's a chance.  Better to promote him sooner than later if promotion is inevitable and it is equally inevitable that he will retire fairly soon.

I'll be supremely surprised if Terunofuji is not a yokozuna by the end of the year. Mind you I said that about Takakeisho!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, I know, but this time it feels different altogether. He looks sad.

Are there any concomitant circumstances that would warrant going intai ? Otherwise, my purely speculative guess is, his supposedly chronic intestinal disease gives him even more trouble than usual (he seems to have lost some weight). If he is really suffering from some sort of chronic inflammation of his intestines, it´s impossible to overstate the toughness he displayed over the years. 

Edited by Gospodin
clarification
  • Like 1