Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Takakeisho is something of a conundrum to me.  I appreciate the fact that dealing with the media often creates more problems than it is worth and distracts serious athletes from their job.  But one of the nice things about sumo is that most sekitori are directly accessible for fans.  I personally believe that that accessibility goes a long way in promoting oozumo for current generation of fans.

Now take Takakeisho.  He gets married, and there are no photos for the press.  The pandemic and the way the press had a field-day with his mother after he won his first yusho may be part of the reason for that.  But if you are watching the Abema TV broadcasts for this tournament, it is rather striking that for each day's Ozeki bout, Abema TV has a clip from virtual interviews done with Asanoyama, Shodai and Terunofuji, not to mention a host of lower-ranked men who happen to be the opponents that day.  But when it comes to Takakeisho, there are no interview clips available, and Abema has to resort to replaying the previous day's bout.

Self-promotion is a big part of professional sports.  I'm not saying it should be that way, but I personally have a better impression of those athletes who are a little less private, and are will to share with their fans.  Luckily for him, Takakeisho's private side does not seem to be costing him sponsorship support.

I think that when it comes to sumo, Takakeisho is all business all the time. But he's appeared on variety shows leading up to basho several times over the past few years and shows a completely different side to himself, humorous and letting his guard down. Foreign fans don't get to see this side of him, but Japanese fans do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Enho got his first win today.  That win may just save him from being demoted to Makushita (and the loss of pay that goes with that).  Perhaps he made the right decision to stay in the tournament after all, plus his win came with one kensho prize envelope since he fought in the first bout of the Makuuchi Division.

Seeing him limp after the bout, however, was a little distressing.  But if you check the Juryo ring-entering ceremony, his right ankle was already taped (barely visible) at that point.  That suggests that the new ankle injury came before his day 5 bout versus Akua.  The winning effort, however, does seem to have aggravated that ankle, making kyujo withdrawal a definite possibility for him going forward in this tournament.

It did. He was nursing the sore ankle before the basho, which is why he didn't take part in the joint keiko sessions prior to the start. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Front-on with a leg grab would probably be watashikomi

Good shout. I suppose they can stretch the definition to cover a two-armed waist wrap and shoulder charge to bring the aite down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2021 at 21:14, Ichimawashi said:

They could encourage him to retire and put him in charge of displaying the Japanese flag on site …. but he’d probably manage to hang it upside down… 

Hah-hah, because there's STILL no rimshot emoji.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest we will see an intai after this basho. Okinoumi. I have nothing to go by except my gut feeling. He looks totally disinterested and even seems to be suffering up there. He just doesn't seem to want to be there anymore. The trajectory reminds me of Tochinowaka (the Korean, not the Oyakata) when he suddenly lost interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Enho got his first win today.  That win may just save him from being demoted to Makushita (and the loss of pay that goes with that).  Perhaps he made the right decision to stay in the tournament after all, plus his win came with one kensho prize envelope since he fought in the first bout of the Makuuchi Division.

Seeing him limp after the bout, however, was a little distressing.  But if you check the Juryo ring-entering ceremony, his right ankle was already taped (barely visible) at that point.  That suggests that the new ankle injury came before his day 5 bout versus Akua.  The winning effort, however, does seem to have aggravated that ankle, making kyujo withdrawal a definite possibility for him going forward in this tournament.

In the win, Enho did his best to keep his injured arm away from Aqua who should have done better.  I don't know how long Enho can keep this up before he goes kyujo.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I suggest we will see an intai after this basho. Okinoumi. I have nothing to go by except my gut feeling. He looks totally disinterested and even seems to be suffering up there. He just doesn't seem to want to be there anymore. The trajectory reminds me of Tochinowaka (the Korean, not the Oyakata) when he suddenly lost interest. 

Interesting theory. He’s in a bit of a slump, but he’s still fighting okay and has spent most of past 18 months in the joi and junior sanyaku, so if he’s not interested now it is sudden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not old enough to remember the last time Okinoumi looked "interested".

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Akebono's yusho aside, when is the last time we had a wrestler in makuuchi go kachi-koshi and immediately go intai?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a bunch in from 2010-11: Asashoryu and Kotomitsuki in 2010, and no less than 4 more during the yaocho purge. Obviously not planned by any of them.

Edited by Kamitsuumi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I foresee a refinement question coming - when was the last time a wrestler in makuuchi went kachi-koshi and went intai of his own free will?

Funnily, I'd have thought Ikioi would have been the post-basho retirement rather than Okinoumi, given he's the one at Ms41 whose elder stock has just been freed up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I'm not old enough to remember the last time Okinoumi looked "interested".

9-6 at komusubi last July was arguably his best ever result!

If he does retire ex-Kotoyuki will have to find another elder stock. He would have held the Kimigahama kabu for only one basho; would that be a record?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ura with another display of tawara ballet. I thought he'd lost that one. Brilliant. While Enho is looking pretty beaten up, it didn't help that Azumaryu landed on his leg as he waited for his bout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One-legged, one-armed Enho loses his 5th badly and walks away with even more pronounced limping.   I am hoping he goes kyujo immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snippets from Taiho's intai conference (this being the 50th anniversary) just before Ishiura - Daiamami. It's striking how much more open, expressive, and in good humour Taiho was about his retirement, as opposed to the more stoic and often teary trend in modern retirements - especially when the contrast against Chiyonofuji's retirement 30 years ago was shown.

Ishiura's been really impressive in recent basho. I don't think it's the first time he's pulled off a dashinage move like that, and it's reminiscent of some prior grappling greats like Harumafuji.

After the Ishiura bout, footage from the reactions by the commentators were shown. Kagamiyama oyakata (ex Kashiwado) and Futagoyama oyakata (ex Wakanohana I) were the ringside announcers that day (highlighted by Murray). Kagamiyama was in a suit and tie, but Futagoyama was surprisingly casual in a brown suit jacket over a turtleneck.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Interesting theory. He’s in a bit of a slump, but he’s still fighting okay and has spent most of past 18 months in the joi and junior sanyaku, so if he’s not interested now it is sudden.

He is a bit lower than usual and is looking really bored, wins notwithstanding. A makekoshi will speed up the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takayasu again really messy, but somehow pulled out a win at the tawara despite losing the tachiai horribly. He has an opportunity to just drive against Mitakeumi when they split but tries a pull, then gets shoved to the tawara and needs to pull out a last minute throw to win the match. Again, he's winning, but bleargh...

Mitakeumi looking really hacked off in the hanamichi afterwards, tossing his towel to his tsukebito rather peremptorily. Might have been a cough or a grunt of frustration as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Takayasu again really messy, but somehow pulled out a win at the tawara despite losing the tachiai horribly. He has an opportunity to just drive against Mitakeumi when they split but tries a pull, then gets shoved to the tawara and needs to pull out a last minute throw to win the match. Again, he's winning, but bleargh...

Mitakeumi looking really hacked off in the hanamichi afterwards, tossing his towel to his tsukebito rather peremptorily. Might have been a cough or a grunt of frustration as well.

I’m wondering if Takayasu can spring a surprise this basho. Not being in the lead is less pressure than last time so it may suit him to keep pace with Terunofuji for now and not move into the lead with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’m wondering if Takayasu can spring a surprise this basho. Not being in the lead is less pressure than last time so it may suit him to keep pace with Terunofuji for now and not move into the lead with him.

Unfortunately at some point Takayasu will have to play for the cup whether or not he gets into a lead. It's at that sort of time where he's liable to choke, so I don't see how it's going to be any different when he does get there. If anything, he looks like he's committing the same mistake this basho where he's going all out in the first week and has little left in the tank in the second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely overpowering of Tobizaru by Takakeisho. The monkey never had a look in.

Takakeisho's in contending form this basho and it looks like we'll be seeing a similar end to this basho as last with Terunofuji and Takakeisho battling it out for the cup. Neither of the other two ozeki look in good form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I suggest we will see an intai after this basho. Okinoumi. I have nothing to go by except my gut feeling. He looks totally disinterested and even seems to be suffering up there. He just doesn't seem to want to be there anymore. The trajectory reminds me of Tochinowaka (the Korean, not the Oyakata) when he suddenly lost interest. 

Admittedly, Okinoumi has had four straight MK finishes and has dropped from Komusubi to M12, but with a 4-2 winning record after six days, I'd say he has not completely given up on oozumo!  In fact, watching him ever since he entered Makuuchi, I'd say he has "looked" disinterested for quite a while now (not even getting married made that big a difference in the get up and go department).  It seems to be his "thing"/style.  Purposely remaining detached and calm, so that he doesn't overcommit, get rigid, and make mistakes.  

He has never really impressed me with that attitude, but I personally don't think he'll retire, at least not before Hakuho.

 

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Admittedly, Okinoumi has had four straight MK finishes and has dropped from Komusubi to M12, but with a 4-2 winning record after six days, I'd say he has not completely given up on oozumo! 

4-2 looks good after 6 days, and arguably he has the skill to clean house in lower makuuchi, but an MK may yet result. We might just see Kintamayama's prediction come true if that is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we have the Iwasaki brothers, Hidenoumi and Tobizaru, both already in the Top Division.  Then we have Wakatakakage making his mark on the Top Division, with brother Wakamotoharu on his tail down in Juryo.  Let's disregard third brother, Wakatakamoto because I bet Kintamayama's undigested hat that he will never make it to Makuuchi.  But will we see at least the two aforementioned Onami brothers in the Top Division at the same time?  Then there are the Kinoshita brothers, Chiyomaru and Chiyootori bouncing from Juryo to Makuuchi and back.

And finally, we have Taiho's scion, Oho and Mudoho.  While I'm not that impressed with the Naya brothers' sumo skills at the moment, would it not be interesting if one day four pairs of brothers populated the Top Division of the banzuke!  Would that not be some kind of record?  It would definitely mess with torikumi matchups, and make the odds of a brother v. brother ketteisen ... somewhat(?) more likely.

Let a man dream. ;-)

#sumo genes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
42 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Admittedly, Okinoumi has had four straight MK finishes and has dropped from Komusubi to M12, but with a 4-2 winning record after six days, I'd say he has not completely given up on oozumo! 

4-2 looks good after 6 days, and arguably he has the skill to clean house in lower makuuchi, but an MK may yet result. We might just see Kintamayama's prediction come true if that is the case.

I guess my point was, if Okinoumi has really lost interest in oozumo, then why does he have any wins at all in this tournament?  

By all appearances, he doesn't look injured, so climbing up on the dohyo and collecting his sekitori pay is not a huge imposition.  Furthermore, the potential pay cut after retiring is something that would cross his mind.  

But I will concede that dropping down to Juryo could well inspire him to hang up his mawashi.  That has definitely been a reason why many a Makuuchi veteran decide to retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now