Akinomaki

Natsu basho 2021

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Nice win by Hoshoryu, who will face Terunofuji tomorrow. 

I love coincidences, but they usually have no real significance.

But consider this:  "Mongolian sekitori Hoshoryu fights much bigger (by 69kg!) Mongolian sekitori Ichinojo and wins!  

Mongolian sekitori Hoshoryu set to fight another bigger (by 38kg) Mongolian sekitori Terunofuji and ... ?"

Hoshoryu is showing some solid technique which allows him to win over guys like Ichinojo, since they give him the time and opportunity to put his technique into action.  Terunofuji is definitely not going to make that mistake.  Terunofuji is not the wait-around kind of wrestler.  The way Terunofuji has been fighting and the awesome strength he possesses make Hoshoryu's chances for two straight wins tomorrow remote at best!

Terunofuji 6-0.  You heard it here first(?) ;-)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A perfect day out for the Ozeki today, though Asanoyama had to deal with Tobizaru’s comical rugby tackle with his head between Asa’s legs. I’ve often wondered what kimarite would be called it a rikishi simply rugby tackled his opponent. We almost got to find out!

Shodai halfway to clearing kadoban and generally looking fine, if not overly threatening.

Hidenoumi’s win over Takarafuji was hard won. I rather enjoyed that well-balanced marathon bout.

Hokutofuji-Myogiryu was a strange one indeed. That was very obviously a matta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’ve often wondered what kimarite would be called it a rikishi simply rugby tackled his opponent. We almost got to find out!

Oshitaoshi, probably. Although more often than not it'll probably result in just giving away a hatakikomi. That said, I wonder why no one uses spear tackles to shove opponents backward - maybe because usually opponents are ready for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Oshitaoshi, probably. Although more often than not it'll probably result in just giving away a hatakikomi. That said, I wonder why no one uses spear tackles to shove opponents backward - maybe because usually opponents are ready for it?

Probably. I feel it should be a new kimarite though. It’s pretty different!

By the way, in rugby a spear tackle is when you scoop up the legs so they are higher than the waist and then drive the player down onto his head or shoulders. It’s highly dangerous and thus illegal. I assume that’s not what you mean here though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

By the way, in rugby a spear tackle is when you scoop up the legs so they are higher than the waist and then drive the player down onto his head or shoulders. It’s highly dangerous and thus illegal. I assume that’s not what you mean here though?

Yeah, that's most certainly not what I had in mind. I had in mind something where the rikishi just goes straight for maybe a nodowa or upper body mass of his opponent and just shoves the opponent backwards and down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Yeah, that's most certainly not what I had in mind. I had in mind something where the rikishi just goes straight for maybe a nodowa or upper body mass of his opponent and just shoves the opponent backwards and down.

Hokutofuji often tries. He loves a nodowa straight off the tachiai when he can get one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five days, ten pages of posts and I have been unable to find a single positive comment about Takayasu's sumo. I can't think of anything positive to say either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Five days, ten pages of posts and I have been unable to find a single positive comment about Takayasu's sumo. I can't think of anything positive to say either.

The odd thing is, it's working-ish. And I see it continuing to work against tougher opponents too (except maybe Shodai). It's not pretty, but it's winning sumo.

The last basho really appears to have lit a fire under his ass. Or maybe Araiso happened across a stash of fireworks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Five days, ten pages of posts and I have been unable to find a single positive comment about Takayasu's sumo. I can't think of anything positive to say either.

He’s winning! I guess after last basho’s collapse, people are just cautious about counting him as a contender?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

By the way, in rugby a spear tackle is when you scoop up the legs so they are higher than the waist and then drive the player down onto his head or shoulders. It’s highly dangerous and thus illegal. I assume that’s not what you mean here though?

I love a properly executed Bill Goldberg spear tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Hokutofuji-Myogiryu was a strange one indeed. That was very obviously a matta.

Yup. Ridiculous. No way that should have continued. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Five days, ten pages of posts and I have been unable to find a single positive comment about Takayasu's sumo. I can't think of anything positive to say either.

He looks good again but not as good. His pushing looks strong which is a good sign for him. Problem for him is most of the Ozeki look better which means he won't be contending I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takakeisho is something of a conundrum to me.  I appreciate the fact that dealing with the media often creates more problems than it is worth and distracts serious athletes from their job.  But one of the nice things about sumo is that most sekitori are directly accessible for fans.  I personally believe that that accessibility goes a long way in promoting oozumo for current generation of fans.

Now take Takakeisho.  He gets married, and there are no photos for the press.  The pandemic and the way the press had a field-day with his mother after he won his first yusho may be part of the reason for that.  But if you are watching the Abema TV broadcasts for this tournament, it is rather striking that for each day's Ozeki bout, Abema TV has a clip from virtual interviews done with Asanoyama, Shodai and Terunofuji, not to mention a host of lower-ranked men who happen to be the opponents that day.  But when it comes to Takakeisho, there are no interview clips available, and Abema has to resort to replaying the previous day's bout.

Self-promotion is a big part of professional sports.  I'm not saying it should be that way, but I personally have a better impression of those athletes who are a little less private, and are will to share with their fans.  Luckily for him, Takakeisho's private side does not seem to be costing him sponsorship support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Takakeisho is pulling the recluse card until he gets his business done - i.e. win 2 yusho. And, to be fair, it sort of seems to be working; he's the next best yusho prospect after Terunofuji amongst the ozeki. Wasn't the last word that he'd moved in with his wife at the old Hatachiyama-beya and gets to train in private?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

The odd thing is, it's working-ish.

 

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

He’s winning!

Takayasu will do fine if his opponents keep falling over. Ok, I'm not the one being shoved around a ring by a rampaging 400 lb man-beast but I haven't liked the look of some of these matches. Have to call it as I see it...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Asanoyama - Tobizaru bout was bizarre. Tobizaru's rugby tackle almost came off. Looking at the replay I'm not 100% convinced he touched down first. Might have been worth a mono-ii to make sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Yeah, that's most certainly not what I had in mind. I had in mind something where the rikishi just goes straight for maybe a nodowa or upper body mass of his opponent and just shoves the opponent backwards and down.

Is this what you had in mind (nodowa + shove backwards)? I remember calling it a choke-slam-otoshi when it happened. Harumafuji also gave Kisenosato a choke-slam-otoshi once, and that one looked even more devastating than this one.  

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adil said:

Is this what you had in mind (nodowa + shove backwards)? I remember calling it a choke-slam-otoshi when it happened. Harumafuji also gave Kisenosato a choke-slam-otoshi once, and that one looked even more devastating than this one.  

Yeah, but except straight out of the tachiai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Hidenoumi’s win over Takarafuji was hard won. I rather enjoyed that well-balanced marathon bout.

It's especially nice to see both younger-generation brothers, Hidenoumi and Tobizaru make their oozumo breakthroughs at about the same time.  The fact that they moved up from Juryo and seem to have Makuuchi staying power is particularly impressive.  So many wrestlers who have languished in Juryo and by chance get to debut in Makuuchi, end up dropping back down.  Akiseyama was just such a case.  But recently he too seems to be putting all the pieces of his sumo together for his "late bloom"!

All that to say, Hidenoumi's victory over Takarafuji was not a fluke.  Hidenoumi has been showing solid sumo, and apparently is now able to take on the likes of a seasoned veteran like Takarafuji!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enho got his first win today.  That win may just save him from being demoted to Makushita (and the loss of pay that goes with that).  Perhaps he made the right decision to stay in the tournament after all, plus his win came with one kensho prize envelope since he fought in the first bout of the Makuuchi Division.

Seeing him limp after the bout, however, was a little distressing.  But if you check the Juryo ring-entering ceremony, his right ankle was already taped (barely visible) at that point.  That suggests that the new ankle injury came before his day 5 bout versus Akua.  The winning effort, however, does seem to have aggravated that ankle, making kyujo withdrawal a definite possibility for him going forward in this tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Takayasu will do fine if his opponents keep falling over.

Being slapped silly by a huge rikishi tends todo that to you. Takayasu easily handled Daieisho today, wasn't even threatened by him. His sumo has been solid, even if you don't like it much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I’ve often wondered what kimarite would be called it a rikishi simply rugby tackled his opponent. We almost got to find out!

Front-on with a leg grab would probably be watashikomi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. Now I am confused and extremely curious.  Today on NHK, they showed replays of Misugiiso winning consecutive kinboshi upsets over Kitanoumi and Mienoumi in September of 1979.  What I noticed is back then, there was no throwing of zabuton to express delight when a lower ranked wrestler unexpectedly defeats a Yokozuna.

So that begs the questions:  When (what year) did sumo fans begin throwing their zabuton?   What prompted that change?  And why does throwing zabuton get associated in some written sources with supporters throwing gifts on the dohyo in the distant past, if as revealed in the TV footage of the Showa era bouts, neither zabuton nor gifts were being thrown (i.e., no continuity of a custom)?  And why could fans hold back their excitement in the Showa era, but in more modern times, they can't seem to resist throwing their cushions?  (Obviously the pandemic has put a damper on that tradition, and it may well die out as a result.  But still ...)

Any long-time fans on the Forum recall when zabuton throwing got started? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

OK. Now I am confused and extremely curious.  Today on NHK, they showed replays of Misugiiso winning consecutive kinboshi upsets over Kitanoumi and Mienoumi in September of 1979.  What I noticed is back then, there was no throwing of zabuton to express delight when a lower ranked wrestler unexpectedly defeats a Yokozuna.

So that begs the questions:  When (what year) did sumo fans begin throwing their zabuton?   What prompted that change?  And why does throwing zabuton get associated in some written sources with supporters throwing gifts on the dohyo in the distant past, if as revealed in the TV footage of the Showa era bouts, neither zabuton nor gifts were being thrown (i.e., no continuity of a custom)?  And why could fans hold back their excitement in the Showa era, but in more modern times, they can't seem to resist throwing their cushions?  (Obviously the pandemic has put a damper on that tradition, and it may well die out as a result.  But still ...)

Any long-time fans on the Forum recall when zabuton throwing got started? 

It was definitely around before then. You can see the zabuton flying when Takanohana defeated Kitanoumi for his first yusho in Haru '75. Maybe it took a while to catch on to any rank-and-filer beating a yokozuna. 

 

Edited by ryafuji
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now