Kintamayama

Retired after March 2021

Posted (edited)

Sandanme:

Hungarian veteran Masutouou, 1 Jonokuchi yusho

Hikarugenji

Tokimaru

Bolivian Kirameki

Kaounishiki, ex- Juryo, 1 Jonokuchi yusho.

Jonidan:

Ayakaze

Toushounishiki, 1 Jonokuchi playoff loss

Sorakaze

Tomisakae

Harimanada

Kotoimagawa

Daishoukaku

Tamanohoshi

Ooisato

Isamufuji

Shimizu

Jonokuchi:

Oota

Hisanotora - many injuries, three Jonokushi yushos, one as recent as last September (never fought after that), one sandanme playoff loss.

Banzuke gai:

Kirinoryuu

Yaotsufuji

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Writing was on the wall for Masutoo for a while.

But Kirameki is a surprise; he was a fairly high-profile newcomer and had a Japanese shusshin to boot. What happened to him?

Of all the five Europeans who retired without reaching Juryo,  Masutoo  lasted the longest and got the closest (ms8).

Viszlát, gentle giant!

• Like 7

Any word on Masutoo's future? IIRC he was very well acclimated to the Japanese way of life.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm from Hungary and Masutoo is my fellow countryman. I'm a part of a small, but growing hungarian community, we try to spread the news about sumo. And this is huge news. Sad, but very important news. But there are only a few sources to go for them. 

I've found a Twitter-message about him on his beya's page: 

I don't speak japanese, so I only understand a little about the tweet (thanks to the in-built translator), but literally nothing about the letter that is on these pictures. 

I would greatly appreciate if someone could sum it up for me in english! :) 

2 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

Any word on Masutoo's future? IIRC he was very well acclimated to the Japanese way of life.

I heard rumors about him wanting to stay in Japan, but that isn't confirmed. Another member of our hungarian community is an ama-sumo guy, and he met Masutoo in Tokyo at the time of a world championship. This was years ago, but they talked, and Masutoo said: he would like to stay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The okami-san's letter states that Masutōō intends to work at a food-related company in Tokyo. 

• Thanks 1

The written letter says he's gonna work at a food/drink related company (maybe a restaurant or something), he helped out a lot around the heya fixing electronics, furniture, the car.

A lot of other typical letter pleasantries, good luck, don't forget to visit, お疲れ様でした enjoy the new life.

• Thanks 1

In December 2018 he visited Hungary and said he wants to stay in Japan after he retires (at least he doesn't want to return to Hungary). He had no idea at the time what he would do next.

• Thanks 1

I would have thought he would stay on with the heya as a civilian manager or something. He seemed to be a deeply rooted member of the heya.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He seemed to be a deeply rooted member of the heya.

I hope that's still true after the merging.

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kirinoryuu

Arg. I seem to have jinxed my two picks for sekitori among those not in Makushita yet that I made a few years back.  Shonannoumi isn't able to push beyond the top of Makushita, and now Kirinoryu's injuries (I guess) were too much.

• Like 1

Masutoo's ankles have been in bad shape for some time, plus his original shisho retires for good in a couple of weeks, so I'm not surprised at all that he's retired.

Kaonishiki had been struggling with a lower back hernia, and also suffered some kind of leg injury just before this basho, which led to his early kyujo. The last deshi of Takamiyama has gone, and Toho is the last active rikishi to have experienced the old kosho system.

Anyway, here are a few danpatsu-shiki pictures. Oisato and Hikarugenji had theirs together at Minezaki-beya's last senshuraku party.

Spoiler

Minezaki-oyakata (former Maegashira Misugiiso) makes the final cut for Hikarugenji.

s96VbyMZ_o.jpg

And now for Oisato.

bU6uGYC6_o.jpg

Afterwards.

CcNyDmck_o.jpg

Joined by former Maegashira Arawashi.

kXglm0xt_o.jpg

Commemorative picture with the whole heya.

zDqC68Fo_o.jpg

The shisho pours the drinks.

8OSggKJA_o.jpg

And slices up the cake.

99ppFgSE_o.jpg

And Ota's took place at Yamahibiki-beya's party.

Spoiler

Not sure who these first two lower ranked rikishi are, it's hard to tell with the masks.

APzgFjxK_o.jpg

q3K4nEry_o.jpg

Nionoumi makes his cut.

gcmjiRvB_o.jpg

And now Kitaharima.

bsSC1BoW_o.jpg

Yamahibiki-oyakata (former Maegashira Ganyu) makes the final cut to conclude the ceremony.

ItUf9G4P_o.jpg

9xvtyeGM_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Toshinishiki was a kettei-sen just a couple of months ago...

Posted (edited)

Tomisakae turned You-tuber - the channel is unused for 6year https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSlxEPo477Jh6qL4H2-cFaA

Nikkan has a detailed interview:

202104020000242-w200_1.jpgo 202104020000242-w200_2.jpgo

He posted a sort of intai conference video today - he refused a danpatsushiki and will apparently get a simple haircut in the next video

He decided that he couldn't properly recover from his injuries while being active, with intense back and hip joint pain

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

He posted a sort of intai conference video today - he refused a danpatsushiki and will apparently get a simple haircut in the next video

How common is it to reject one, even a simple in-heya one? Sounds like he might have left on less than the very best terms.

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

How common is it to reject one, even a simple in-heya one? Sounds like he might have left on less than the very best terms.

He told in the Nikkan interview that he was disappointed that (ex-)Aminishiki had no words for him as he told him he wanted to quit.

Tomisakae had been tsukebito for Isegahama-oyakata, Asofuji, Harumafuji, Aminishiki, Takarafuji and Terunofuji

• Sad 3

Wow...I wonder what happened between them.

Posted (edited)

Hisanotora retires after 15 years, having joined the previous Tagonoura-beya in 2006, coming from the same home prefecture as the shisho (former Maegashira Kushimaumi). When the shisho died suddenly and the heya closed, he was among the survivors who moved to Dewanoumi-beya. He was a powerful pusher-thruster type and easily an upper Makushita-level rikishi, but his career was too often blighted by injury, including repeated eye injuries. I don't know if that was what caused his intai, but he wouldn't be the first rikishi to be advised to stop rather than risk permanent sight loss in the future.

His danpatsu-shiki took place at Dewanoumi-beya.

Spoiler

Heya tokoyama Tokoriki prepared Hisanotora's first and last oichomage.

RFMvpch1_o.jpg

fGuNRTwC_o.jpg

3rrSQy36_o.jpg

The heya's newest recruit Kiyonohana makes the first cut.

NYFU3igP_o.jpg

Nagata.

KolXwsjE_o.jpg

Ogitora.

iGjO0aPr_o.jpg

Okanojo.

vbFxvrmP_o.jpg

Yoshimura.

Rdzjn7v6_o.jpg

Kiyota.

sdMwZiPj_o.jpg

Dewanojo.

F0ULxvP5_o.jpg

Dewanoryu.

P5EiuUfx_o.jpg

Oginosho.

u8ojttz6_o.jpg

Oginohama.

1YN7Van9_o.jpg

Kairyu.

EVVvsaey_o.jpg

Mitakeumi.

tDlTE99Z_o.jpg

Takasaki-oyakata (former Maegashira Kinkaiyama).

DMydEKbc_o.jpg

Nakadachi-oyakata (former Komusubi Oginishiki).

0sG1zdds_o.jpg

Dekiyama-oyakata (former Sekiwake Dewanohana), who will soon be retiring from the Kyokai himself.

nlrg2CnL_o.jpg

And finally, Dewanoumi-oyakata (former Maegashira Oginohana) makes the final cut.

88F1rT3o_o.jpg

Q8SilpKa_o.jpg

Hisanotora after a proper haircut and a new suit.

fSMIRJMn_o.jpg

y6nrt8E7_o.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Guess he couldn't cut it... 

Ahem, insert rim-shot emoji here:

• Haha 1

The Kimigahama kabu is owned by Okinoumi who is 35 and on a run of 4 mks, so this looks like a short-term arrangement.

• Like 1

Within the ichimon, Chiganoura and Minezaki are possibly imminently available, although Chiganoura may already be spoken for by one of the Tokiwayama sanyaku. 

Four pictures turned up of Sorakaze's danpatsu-shiki, which took place at Oguruma-beya.

Spoiler

His family were able to attend, no doubt those are his parents on the left and siblings on the right.

Uz37iZGJ_o.jpg

One last no-flag, with his nameplate from the keikoba ranking board.

hyGgmQU1_o.jpg

Nakamura-oyakata (former Sekiwake Yoshikaze) makes his cut.

5kQvNMx2_o.jpg

And the final cut by Oguruma-oyakata (former Ozeki Kotokaze).

JZWE5jGr_o.jpg

Regarding Toshonishiki, his left knee buckled when he lost his last bout, although he managed to get up and limp away. You can even see the two shimpan on the far side (Tamanoi and Tanigawa, I think) flinch. So I guess injury can be put down as the cause of his unexpected intai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2