BuBa

Terunofuji's ozeki promotion formalized.

Of the now four ozeki, despite still-troublesome knees, Terunofuji is probably the strongest yokozuna candidate right now.  But he needs to show that he raise his level from 12-3 yusho to 14-1/zensho.  I'm not sure that consecutive 12-3 yusho would carry much value.  Plus he has to start dealing with a couple of his nemeses - Onosho and Takayasu, a potential yokozuna can't allow lower rankers to have a jinx on him, much in the same way that was one of the major factors (along with the fact that his yusho in 1991 and 1992 were non-consecutive) that counted against Konishiki being promoted, with Akinoshima being the bane of his life at that time.

Swami

The Shuukan Gendai is reporting that the YDC has been quietly asked yesterday to convene a special meeting by the rijikai. "We have been asked to convene and discuss the special situation that has arisen with the repromotion of Terunofuji to Ozeki with a yusho. As the banzuke is nearing a possibility of being sans- Yokozunae, we have been asked to see if Terunofuji can possibly be promoted to Yokozuna if he gets the yusho in a convincing fashion next basho as well. I am aware that this has never happened before and that the guidelines are two consecutive yushos at Ozeki. I am also aware that what  Terunofuji has achieved through extreme hardship has never happened before either. Looking at his record before he dropped from Ozeki, he had a jun-yusho the last basho he completed fully, which can be counted as a yusho equivalent. It does seem difficult, but we have been asked to look into this and we will. I personally think it should be at least discussed. I do feel it would be a great impetus to other rikishi and will be good PR for sumo, and will surely be accepted as a positive story by the public, if and when it comes to that. Terunofuji still needs to get a yusho, though..," explained YDC chairman Yano. "Terunofuji is the strongest current Ozeki, " said Shibatayama PR man when questioned about this. "No comment", said Oguruma Oyakata. Takadagawa judging chief did not answer reporters. "This would never ever have even been considered in my days," said colorful ex-YDC member Ms. Uchidate. "He essentially faced everyone an Ozeki faces and got the yusho, so tradition aside, a request for a discussion is not that far-fetched," said long time sumo aficionado  Yaku Mitsuru.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 31/03/2021 at 13:14, Akinomaki said:

Terunofuji this time with a nil acceptance phrase, just "I humbly accept" and thanks, for the first ozeki promotion he used "endeavor for fullness of shin-gi-tai" and "aiming for higher".

No word if that was the first ever - in the last 50 years or so, but no other like that are cited so far.

Hochi reports that Kaiketsu for his 2nd promotion had used the same short form. http://hochi.news/articles/20210331-OHT1T50356.html

The form with "I humbly accept" 謹んでお受けいたします is the standard since the Showa 40s (1965-), Taiho 1960 for ozeki promotion used "I gladly accept" 喜んでお受けします, Wakanohana 1 1955 "I gratefully accept"  ありがたくお受けします  

Wajima 1972 forgot what to say next and stopped at "I humbly accept" http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2011/12/01/kiji/K20111201002145860.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"This would never ever have even been considered in my days," said colorful ex-YDC member Ms. Uchidate.

Ah, this is one of the wonderful cases where you know something is right, good and potentially beautiful, just because a certain person says it's wrong and outrageous.

• Like 2

Well, if I were to pull out my old "49/4" guideline, he should be considered good for promotion with 13 wins next tournament, yusho or not, although that originally required two basho at Ozeki because of everyone else thinking it was needed.  One might say that the fact he hasn't been Ozeki for two tournaments after the next basho is a product of him needing to start over from the bottom, and that his time since returning from injury he has competed at Ozeki-level the entire time such that just getting the two yusho-equivalents should be reasonable enough as long as he's Ozeki for the last one.  That is, he had already proven himself Ozeki-caliber in the past, so considering his past few tournaments in the joi to be the equivalent as being Ozeki seems perfectly reasonable.  He may have needed those 3 full tournaments to prove himself worthy of repromotion, but given all he's been through, that his demotion was more a product of injury which has apparently healed rather than waxing and waning strength, to consider that time to be Ozeki-equivalent for Yokozuna promotion seems perfectly fair.

It would have never happened under Uchidate, sure, because they were never presented with this exact situation.

3 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Ah, this is one of the wonderful cases where you know something is right, good and potentially beautiful, just because a certain person says it's wrong and outrageous.

Now, imagine if it was true.. 

• Haha 1

On 31/03/2021 at 19:29, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji shebang interview translated. His Japanese accent is a bit rough so i had to wing it at times. but you get the gist..

Kintama-san when are you going to publish special interview videos like those you used to, uh, translate? :-D:-D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Kintama-san when are you going to publish special interview videos like those you used to, uh, translate? :-D:-D

I will try again soon..

• Like 1