BuBa

Terunofuji's ozeki promotion formalized.

Congratulations to comeback kid!

Edited by BuBa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You love to see it. A spectacular comeback.

Fantastic story. It took me a while to forgive him for that henka, but you’d have to have a heart of stone not to feel happy for the guy after the journey he’s been on.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Fantastic story. It took me a while to forgive him for that henka, but you’d have to have a heart of stone not to feel happy for the guy after the journey he’s been on.

I remember watching it in real time when I was living in Japan at the time, it was not a good feeling. But this trip down and back has surely humbled him and he has matured quite a bit

Terunofuji this time with a nil acceptance phrase, just "I humbly accept" and thanks, for the first ozeki promotion he used "endeavor for fullness of shin-gi-tai" and "aiming for higher".

No word if that was the first ever - in the last 50 years or so, but no other like that are cited so far. Riji Takashima accompanied by Asakayama were the messengers.

http://www.sankei.com/sports/news/210331/spo2103310007-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

No word if that was the first ever, but no other like that are cited so far.

If you mean a nil acceptance phrase, Kaiketsu also went for the "I vow not to disgrace the name of ozeki" and "I humbly accept" route for his second promotion.

13 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

If you mean a nil acceptance phrase, Kaiketsu also went for the "I vow not to disgrace the name of ozeki" and "I humbly accept" route for his second promotion.

That is with the standard vow, but not nil - Terunofuji added nothing to the words obligatory for acceptance

• Like 1

ExxK4k4VIAAuwUt.jpg:thumbo 202103310000499-w200_0.jpgo d91e457753f50ba8f959ab84fe184f87_1.jpgo 202103310000291-w200_0.jpgo

press conference with the oyakata

ExxOerZVIAYRtoi.jpg:thumbo202103310000191-w200_0.jpgo 20210331-OHT1I50092-N.jpgo

the fishes

202103310000435-w200_0.jpgo

outside  - Takarafuji, Midorifuji, Nishikifuji - with too many back problems to actually hold him up

202103310000435-w200_1.jpgoExxWIqFVgAAHtwh.jpg:thumbo 4.jpgo

with wife

202103310000212-w200_0.jpgo

at the first promotion in 2015 he was smiling

202103300000709-w200_0.jpgo

Kaiketsu - with Wajima and Hanakago-oyakata

4.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Kaiketsu - with Wajima and Hanakago-oyakata

Is that Hanakago (ex Onoumi) or Futagoyama (ex Wakanohana I)? I can't find any images of Hanakago but he would have been almost 60 at the time of Kaiketsu's promotions.

Edited by Seiyashi

Can I just say, again, that it's really sad these historic moments aren't properly being recorded on their Youtube channel? All that's up right now is the livestream. They didn't bother to upload a clean recording that isn't totally mangled by poor image quality:

69km8q9.jpg

The NHK news report has nice clean footage of the whole event, so why isn't that on their channel?

edit: also considering that, in the past, poor quality livestream footage has appeared on NHK News, I'm guessing they probably at some point decided "we'll just do our own recordings from now on since the NSK doesn't know how to do it properly".

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Is that Hanakago (ex Onoumi) or Futagoyama (ex Wakanohana I)? I can't find any images of Hanakago but he would have been almost 60 at the time of Kaiketsu's promotions.

The caption says it's Hanakago, and Kaiketsu had no other oyakata

Congratulations, Terunofuji! I think he may be the most likely yokozuna promotion of our four ozeki. We shall see moving forward. Another May yusho would be rather impressive.

Terunofuji shebang interview translated. His Japanese accent is a bit rough so i had to wing it at times. but you get the gist..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 12

11:39 ... Terutsuyoshi?  Did he really say Terutsuyoshi? He sort of mumbled it, I couldn't make it out.

2 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

11:39 ... Terutsuyoshi?  Did he really say Terutsuyoshi? He sort of mumbled it, I couldn't make it out.

Sounded like "Terunofuji" to me. 

Sure, that's two Ozeki promotions for Terunofuji. But I'll be more impressed when he gets the hat trick. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, orandashoho said:

No, the usual error after a long day.

6 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

That is indeed Nishikifuji, not Terutsuyoshi, who is there along with Midorifuji and Takarafuji. 

My recognition abilities are close to zero. I once thought Takanohana was my milkman.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

My recognition abilities are close to zero. I once thought Takanohana was my milkman.

Looked like Kaiho to me.  :-P

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Looked like Kaiho to me.  :-P

WOW.. You killed me.. Those were the days..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1