Kintamayama

Kitanofuji stuff

Recommended Posts

I need to remember where this thread is, come September. But, maybe Kitanofuji will entertain us through one of you Japanese-speaking forum members before then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I need to remember where this thread is, come September. But, maybe Kitanofuji will entertain us through one of you Japanese-speaking forum members before then. 

Follow the thread (top right corner). Then you get a newsletter in your email inbox.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2021 at 19:52, Kaninoyama said:

"I've got no interest in tomorrow's last match. I'm so mad I'm going to eat and go to bed."

 

I'll bet he watched it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

 

I'll bet he watched it.  

He was doing the commentary, so he had to. But after the final bout, he was still so livid he could hardly get any words out. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

He was doing the commentary, so he had to. But after the final bout, he was still so livid he could hardly get any words out. 

I hope he's still doing color when we finally get to travel in Japan again. I'd like to get a Japanese friend to translate a bit and I'm guessing I might pick up a new phrase or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I hope he's still doing color when we finally get to travel in Japan again. I'd like to get a Japanese friend to translate a bit and I'm guessing I might pick up a new phrase or two.

He's 79, so you'd better hurry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably why some of us think he's so humorous, we see ourselves with another 15-25 years to become more irascible than we are now.

Reminds me of myself, anyway, but with even less filter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

He's 79, so you'd better hurry. 

Until visa restrictions are lifted, we rely upon our bilingual friends. Arigatou gozaimasu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just read something complimentary and something outrageous about Kitanofuji in Lora Sharnoff's book, "Grand Sumo." The author states that Kitanofuji was widely regarded in the late 1980s as the first modern-minded Yokozuna.

Not that is should cut into his rights to criticize active Yokozuna, but she then goes on to state that in 1972 he became the first Yokozuna to go kyujo due to insomnia!?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I've just read something complimentary and something outrageous about Kitanofuji in Lora Sharnoff's book, "Grand Sumo." The author states that Kitanofuji was widely regarded in the late 1980s as the first modern-minded Yokozuna.

Not that is should cut into his rights to criticize active Yokozuna, but she then goes on to state that in 1972 he became the first Yokozuna to go kyujo due to insomnia!?

It's true that Kitanofuji did go kyujo once due to insomnia but there were extenuating circumstances.  Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia. -----

"However, Tamanoumi's sudden death in October 1971 shook Kitanofuji badly and affected his performance in the ring. Now the sole yokozuna in sumo, he went into a slump. After poor performances in the first two tournaments of 1972, he pulled out of the May 1972 tourney because of insomnia. He took a leave of absence from the next tournament in July, but went on a trip to Hawaii and was caught surfboarding.[3] He was cautioned by the Japan Sumo Association and immediately apologised. He returned to win the next championship with a perfect record in September 1972. His final title came in March 1973, and his last challenge for a championship was in July of that year when he lost a playoff to veteran Kotozakura.

After several more absences Kitanofuji announced his retirement at the age of 32 three days into the July 1974 tournament, acknowledging that there was now a new era being led by Wajima and Kitanoumi, both several years younger than himself. Kotozakura retired in the same week, and Kitanoumi was promoted to yokozuna after the tournament ended. Kitanofuji's total of ten tournament championships was, at the time, behind only Futabayama's 12 and Taiho's 32".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

It's true that Kitanofuji did go kyujo once due to insomnia but there were extenuating circumstances.  Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia. -----

"However, Tamanoumi's sudden death in October 1971 shook Kitanofuji badly and affected his performance in the ring. Now the sole yokozuna in sumo, he went into a slump. After poor performances in the first two tournaments of 1972, he pulled out of the May 1972 tourney because of insomnia. He took a leave of absence from the next tournament in July, but went on a trip to Hawaii and was caught surfboarding.[3] He was cautioned by the Japan Sumo Association and immediately apologised. He returned to win the next championship with a perfect record in September 1972. His final title came in March 1973, and his last challenge for a championship was in July of that year when he lost a playoff to veteran Kotozakura.

After several more absences Kitanofuji announced his retirement at the age of 32 three days into the July 1974 tournament, acknowledging that there was now a new era being led by Wajima and Kitanoumi, both several years younger than himself. Kotozakura retired in the same week, and Kitanoumi was promoted to yokozuna after the tournament ended. Kitanofuji's total of ten tournament championships was, at the time, behind only Futabayama's 12 and Taiho's 32".

Yes, his rival and friend, Tmanoumi's death was apparently hard on him. He did manage to also win the Kyushu basho shortly after Tamanoumi's passing. I wouldn't hold surfing against the guy. And, winning two basho doesn't mean there was no grief. So, not to make too much levity out of his situation, but I did find insomnia an interesting, and obviously honest, reason for going kyujo. 

Edited by Kaminariyuki
fingers faster than brain...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone in Japan get a sample of Kitanofuji curry? He's the best.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now