Koorifuu

Sandanme Tsukedashi = too low?

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Generally in my recollection, school tournaments with knockout rounds are not seeded, only professionals or senior amateurs where there's enough meaningful data to compare them before the tournament starts.  There just aren't enough official school level events featuring a wide field to get a proper idea; once there are enough events, they become somewhat outdated as competitors are not nearly as static in ability when they're young compared to fully grown.

Thanks!  That seemed like the most likely case -- AmSumo isn't as highly developed, so there aren't enough events to establish a hierarchy.

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Thanks!  That seemed like the most likely case -- AmSumo isn't as highly developed, so there aren't enough events to establish a hierarchy.

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't word my response properly.  i was talking about sports in general, not Sumo.  I only assume it works the same for school-level sumo as it does for other games, though because of the short nature of the bouts, it's at least within reason that a good hierarchy could develop.  Still, it would become quickly outdated, and you can't have school kids constantly participating in tournaments.

Nishikawa was disqualified for a hair pull in his seventh bout, resulting in his first loss and no yusho in Sandanme.  He beat his opponent Fukushima by hatakikomi, but a monoii was called.. "He came in much lower than I expected. I didn't notice that I did that and was wondering why the monoii was called.. It's frustrating but there is nothing I can say. We don't have that rule in amateur sumo.." he explained.

• Thanks 4