Sign in to follow this  
Sumo Menko Man

Sumo Salaries from 1975 to Present

Thought it would be interesting to plot sumo wrester monthly base salary increases (in yen) from 1975 to 2019.  Crazy how much the sumo boom in the early 1990s shot salaries up.  I grabbed all these numbers from Sumo World Magazine, except for 2019 which I think I found on a thread here.  Interesting to note that the Yokozuna-to-Juryo pay ratio is about 2.75 through the years, Ozeki-to-Juyro is about 2.25 through the years, Sekiwake/Komusubi-to-Juryo is about 1.65 through the years, and Maegashira-to-Juryo is 1.25 through the years.

419632182_SalaryYen.jpg.8f2f18f7afd4cef500dc133760139199.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Could also be affected by inflation rates; it doesn't look like sumo pay kept up with inflation during the bubble years, and there was a spike in Inflation when the bubble burst in the 90s. I could see the rikishikai holding its breath about pay in those years.

Purely spitballing here, but given that that was shortly after Oshima oyakata started scouting from Mongolia, not sure if there was some factor of the top brass sitting up and realising they needed to make sumo more attractive as a career.