Kintamayama

YDC meeting after Haru 2021

Even if Hakuho returns in July, what's the path going forward? He's 36, with lots of injuries and only averages about 2-3 complete tournaments a year going back to 2018, while everyone else has had to take 100+ more matches.

Edited by rzombie1988

I suspect he'll come back in July, do his best to stay for all 15 days so he could take part in opening ceremonies at Olympics and then he'll retire. He might show up in September but that is about it... he'd probably retire awhile ago if Olympics happened last year.

7 minutes ago, Ripe said:

I suspect he'll come back in July, do his best to stay for all 15 days so he could take part in opening ceremonies at Olympics and then he'll retire. He might show up in September but that is about it... he'd probably retire awhile ago if Olympics happened last year.

He fairly infamously said last year (before Covid) that he would retire in 2020. So at least the intent was there. 

Yeah, I think it was something about retiring after Olympics... but with Olympics being postponed for 2021 he's still here.

2 minutes ago, Ripe said:

Yeah, I think it was something about retiring after Olympics... but with Olympics being postponed for 2021 he's still here.

Basically, last year he said he "it would all end that year" and everyone assumed he meant he was retiring after the Olympics. He's frankly lucky that no one has remembered to hold it against him by the letter, especially when he said it on a TV interview spot in his own home. 

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Basically, last year he said he "it would all end that year" and everyone assumed he meant he was retiring after the Olympics. He's frankly lucky that no one has remembered to hold it against him by the letter, especially when he said it on a TV interview spot in his own home. 

Thankfully common sense still prevails at times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Didn't he say way back in 2013 when Tokyo was awarded 2020 Summer Olympics that it would be a great privilege for him to perform a dohyo-iri ceremony as part of Olympics opening ceremony? Or something along those lines?

7 minutes ago, Ripe said:

Didn't he say way back in 2013 when Tokyo was awarded 2020 Summer Olympics that it would be a great privilege for him to perform a dohyo-iri ceremony as part of Olympics opening ceremony? Or something along those lines?

Wherever and whenever he said it, it was basically open knowledge by 2019 that he wanted to appear at the 2020 Summer Olympics to do a dohyo iri, so he could have appeared at an Olympics in some capacity just like his father (won silver for Mongolia in wrestling in '68). 

Last year, the TV interview was pre-COVID; a film crew was with him in his own personal gym/workout area at home where he suddenly sprung the bombshell that "it'll end this year". The shocked reporter thought she'd misheard, but Hakuho clarified and said, no, he really meant retirement.

Of course with the benefit of hindsight now (it's 2021 and he's obviously not retired), under the pre-COVID circumstances, the reading of it was that he was carrying on till the Olympics were over and then that was it. His intention to retire that year - i.e. 2020 - assumed and was contingent on the Olympics taking place in 2020. COVID scuppered that original timeline. The fact that he's pulling out all the stops to stay on the banzuke till July 2021 strongly suggests that Hakuho did indeed mean that he was retiring after the Olympics and not 2020 itself, and since the Olympics has been delayed, so has his retirement.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Oh my!  A second warning!  Hakuho must be quaking in his ... bare feet(?).

Anyone know how many warnings Takanohana received in his 7-straight kyujo stint as a Yokozuna?

Why does everything have to be compared to Takanohana? That was almost 20 years ago man, let it go. Besides, apples to oranges and so forth. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dingo said:

Why does everything have to be compared to Takanohana? That was almost 20 years ago man, let it go. Besides, apples to oranges and so forth. 

It's an example for others to follow and Kise followed.

1 hour ago, dingo said:

I chose Takanohana since he was given one of the longest grace periods of any Yokozuna.  Yokozuna are larger-than-life figures, so they are difficult to let go!  Perhaps counselling will do me some good!  LOL

Relieved to hear the news about Hakuho. I was hoping for that but, frankly, also half expecting it. For two reasons, basically:

1) I'm sure there's much more going on behind the scenes. People talk to each other.

2) There was one truly nightmarish scenario for the YDC: They recommend intai, Hakuho defies them. Not what you'd expect but then again, he's Hakuho. There's some fuss about it for several months, then in July he comes back and yushos (remember, he's Hakuho), turning them into a bunch of incompetent fools. Would they have risked it? Well, they didn't…

• Like 1

In an April 2017 SumoForum Poll, "When will Hakuho Intai?", the results were:

2017 15%

2018 39%

2019 12%

2020 32%

later 2%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't heard more details, but from what I was reading I think the YDC actually handled the situation quite well.

As for Hakuho himself, it really is unfortunate for him that Covid19 came about (as it is for many others) and he would have probably called it quits.

I'm not willing to put too much blame on him, simply because he is still so much better than everyone when somewhat healthy and he just experienced a Yokozuna going kyujo for eight tournaments in a row. The Kisenosato precedent had probably a negative impact and what and how long you can get away with. 

Edited by Thorbjarn

45 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

The Kisenosato precedent had probably a negative impact and what and how long you can get away with.

On the contrary, Kisenosato being out for 8 tournaments actually had a positive impact on how long a yokozuna could be out (although not for us fans). The next yokozuna who comes along and suffers a bad injury can point to Kisenosato and enjoy at least a year off.

The straw that broke the camel's back for the YDC was 2 yokozuna out at the same time with no cover. Kisenosato at least had Hakuho and Kakuryu to cover for him. 

Edited by Seiyashi

13 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

In an April 2017 SumoForum Poll, "When will Hakuho Intai?", the results were:

2017 15%

2018 39%

2019 12%

2020 32%

later 2%

Clearly, in 2017, less than one-third predicted he'll stay until 2020, and few predicted he'll stay after 2020. Now I think if he can manage more than 11 wins in July and one yusho this year, he'll continue until a new yokozuna is on board. Unfortunately, no one on the current banzuke has the potential to make a yokozuna. As long as Hakuho can complete more than 2 basho and yusho 1 time in a year, the NSK will probably keep him on dohyo.

This is a binding poll, right? Like, it's practically an election, right? And if we all hustle and vote Gagamaru as write-in, they HAVE to make him a yokozuna, right? So you all know what to do, right? Right???!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dapeng said:

As long as his knees are healthy enough.

Kneeling to receive the envoys for his second Ozeki promotion (and standing up again afterwards) looked like it did more damage to his knees than all the tournaments he’s entered during his comeback. Actually felt rather incongruous seeing someone with such obvious joint infirmity being promoted in a sport like this, but I wish him the best of luck and would love to see him get a rope. He has earned everything he has so far.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 09:40, Seiyashi said:

On the contrary, Kisenosato being out for 8 tournaments actually had a positive impact on how long a yokozuna could be out (although not for us fans). The next yokozuna who comes along and suffers a bad injury can point to Kisenosato and enjoy at least a year off.

I guess I might have not been entirely clear or the context got lost here. The point is that people criticized Hakuho and Kakuryu taking extended times off as being unworthy of the rank Yokozuna while at the same time the (kinda) governing body for Yokozunae chose to encourage Kisenosato when he was obviously not capable of performing. 

Also the interpretation of the drama of Kisenosato is not entirely accurate. He tried to compete at first, opted not to go for surgery and then tried to self-heal. 

The right (positive) lesson to learn should be to use the possibility to sit out a year if a surgery with recuperating would take as long and help actually getting better instead of the fatal (non-) treatment Kisenosato and his heya opted for.

It's fair to question if this is what actually happened with Hakuho and Kakuryu, both often withdrew within a few days before or a few days after starting a tournament, sometimes after seemingly being ready to go (or claiming to be aswell). In that case, the lesson learnt is not "Heal up for a year after an injury if you must" but "take time off to rest for a year if you have to". In that case, this IS a problematic precedent. 

I can totally see them being banged up and withdrawing for good reason in their minds, but if you are so banged up you withdraw because you are not feeling well for 50% or more of the tournament, this is usually the time were you visit the barber. 

Edited by Thorbjarn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorbjarn said:

The right (positive) lesson to learn should be to use the possibility to sit out a year if a surgery with recuperating would take as long and help actually getting better instead of the fatal (non-) treatment Kisenosato and his heya opted for.

Even Kise had sat out an entire year after a proper surgery, I would still doubt he could return to perform at yokozuna level. But if he was allowed to return to start from Jonidan as Teru, he could have easily gone all the way to Sanyaku or even ozeki. Kise was definitely better than Teru, but he had the bad luck to compete with two strong yokozuna in their prime times. 

• Like 1

The Shuukan Gendai is reporting that the YDC has been quietly asked yesterday to convene a special meeting by the rijikai. "We have been asked to convene and discuss the special situation that has arisen with the repromotion of Terunofuji to Ozeki with a yusho. As the banzuke is nearing a possibility of being sans- Yokozunae, we have been asked to see if Terunofuji can possibly be promoted to Yokozuna if he gets the yusho in a convincing fashion next basho as well. I am aware that this has never happened before and that the guidelines are two consecutive yushos at Ozeki. I am also aware that what  Terunofuji has achieved through extreme hardship has never happened before either. Looking at his record before he dropped from Ozeki, he had a jun-yusho the last basho he completed fully, which can be counted as a yusho equivalent. It does seem difficult, but we have been asked to look into this and we will. I personally think it should be at least discussed. I do feel it would be a great impetus to other rikishi and will be good PR for sumo, and will surely be accepted as a positive story by the public, if and when it comes to that. Terunofuji still needs to get a yusho, though..," explained YDC chairman Yano. "Terunofuji is the strongest current Ozeki, " said Shibatayama PR man when questioned about this. "No comment", said Oguruma Oyakata. Takadagawa judging chief did not answer reporters. "This would never ever have even been considered in my days," said colorful ex-YDC member Ms. Uchidate. "He essentially faced everyone an Ozeki faces and got the yusho, so tradition aside, a request for a discussion is not that far-fetched," said long time sumo aficionado  Yaku Mitsuru.

Spoiler

OK, April Fools prank. But not a bad one, if i may so myself.. I think a few people are upset.. Apologies, but we used to do this a lot here back in the day..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Wow, the NSK and YDC potentially going against tradition? Wonders will never cease!

Jokes aside, I don't know if bending over backwards for Terunofuji of all people is a good thing though. It's not like he's the best long term yokozuna candidate as a replacement for the repeatedly kyujo Hakuho or that he'll be expected to last super long in the rank. If they do this for him it also cheapens his attainment of the rope, if any, because people will always say they bent the rules for him. 

In any case as Yano said he has to yusho in May first. 

Edited by Jakusotsu