Sign in to follow this  
Ichimawashi

A record that surely cannot be broken!

My most recent Sumo limerick discussed the lightest rikishi (according to the weights in sumodb) on the current banzuke, Jk5w Urutora, a 31-year old rikishi from Shikihide who is ten kg lighter than lovable loser Hattori, er...., Shonanzakura, somehow at only 60kg after ten years in the show.  In looking through his record I made another discovery.  Urutora’s rank-mate Jk5e Ai is currently the only rikisihi on the banzuke with a two-letter English name.  But in November of 2010, a rikishi who would change his shikona to Aragyoshi fought his first full basho from Jk28e, winning five straight after beginning with two losses, under the shikona U, just one letter!  I suppose this is a record that could be tied, but not beaten!!  Would be amusing to see how the yobidashi sung that name and what it sounded like on the public address system, or when the gyoji announced him as the winner.  (I am sure if he had kept the single-letter shikona and stuck it out until he reached sanyaku, Shonosuke would find a way to mispronounce it...)

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

My most recent Sumo limerick discussed the lightest rikishi (according to the weights in sumodb) on the current banzuke, Jk5w Urutora, a 31-year old rikishi from Shikihide who is ten kg lighter than lovable loser Hattori, er...., Shonanzakura, somehow at only 60kg after ten years in the show.  In looking through his record I made another discovery.  Urutora’s rank-mate Jk5e Ai is currently the only rikisihi on the banzuke with a two-letter English name.  But in November of 2010, a rikishi who would change his shikona to Aragyoshi fought his first full basho from Jk28e, winning five straight after beginning with two losses, under the shikona U, just one letter!  I suppose this is a record that could be tied, but not beaten!!  Would be amusing to see how the yobidashi sung that name and what it sounded like on the public address system, or when the gyoji announced him as the winner.  (I am sure if he had kept the single-letter shikona and stuck it out until he reached sanyaku, Shonosuke would find a way to mispronounce it...)

“Yuuuuuuuuu”

”Me?”

”Yes, Yuuuuuuuuu”

• Haha 2

U,

made me leave my happy home

U took my love and now U're gone

Since I fell for U

-- Since I Fell for U, Lenny Welch 1963

• Haha 1

Shikihide heya has 7/20 rikishi under 100 kgs.  Maybe it was that rancid rice, amiright?

• Haha 1

A bit disappointing that the sumo forum world has not found someone at least tying the record set by U.  I would think that even NHK might reverse their normal procedure and break up a live newscast to switch to a bout between U and I...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Shikihide heya has 7/20 rikishi under 100 kgs.  Maybe it was that rancid rice, amiright?

Or that they just take in anyone regardless of whether they have the necessary physique. 

1 minute ago, ryafuji said:

Or that they just take in anyone regardless of whether they have the necessary physique. 

Sorry, I forgot the laughing icon.

• Like 1

Interesting find!

Btw, I was always suspicious about Urutora -- translates to Ultra? So it turned out that his shikona is indeed inspired by the superhero Ultraman. And his signature moves are poor throw and poor twist* ...

*Actually shitatenage and shitatehineri, but you know, translation magic :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1