Kintamayama

Azumazeki beya folding

There is talk of Azumazeki-beya folding, it was learned today. The heya is having difficulties finding a successor to the late Oyakata who passed away in December 2019. The current Oyakata is ex-Takamisakari, who took the position on condition that it was provisional for a year, as he himself says he is incapable mentally of carrying the burden of being the permanent Oyakata. That year is nearing an end and no successor is in sight. This could be the end of 35 years of existence of the heya, founded by Hawaiian ex-Takamiyama,  who pioneered the foreign invasion. The search is within the Takasago ichimon and ex-Asanowaka (Wakamatsu) was one of the candidates to take over but it didn't pan out so for the moment there are no other viable candidates, meaning that a closure of the heya is a real possibility. "We haven't actually decided to cease existing, but we are going in that direction," said someone in the know. If that happens, the six rikishi and the Oyakata are slated to move to Hakkaku beya. "Whatever I say, my words will be misconstrued.. Honestly, I have no comment. The basho is nearing and i don't want to say anything unnecessary. These are trying times with the virus and the rikishi and myself are confined to the heya, but it is what it is and we know we could be affected any time. We are ready, " said ex-Takamisakari (current Azumazeki). 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

Have to give props to Robocop. He recognizes he isn't cut out to run a heya, and isn't planning on burdening himself anymore than what is being asked of him.

• Like 3

That would be a shame. I can't imagine Takamiyama is too happy - his original plan was for Akebono to succeed him, which obviously didn't happen, and he couldn't have foreseen Ushiomaru dying at just 41.

Too bad if Asanowaka is really out of the running, I'd have liked to see that after he got shafted in the Takasago succession.

I suppose the stable is just too tied to Takasago-ichimon - what with it being an offshoot of Takasago-beya itself - for any potential outside candidates to be viable. Not that Azumazeki-beya is a particularly hot property in any case, I guess.

If this closure comes to pass alongside the one affecting Minezaki next month we'll be down to 42 active heya, which if I'm not mistaken will be the lowest heya count since January 1990. (A total of 43 has been seen briefly a handful of times since 2013, after their number had cratered from 50+ in a few short years.)

I really should know this but I don't... when a stable folds, what happens to the associated kabu?

I have been following sumo long enough to suspect that the answer will start with "It depends..."

53 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I really should know this but I don't... when a stable folds, what happens to the associated kabu?

Nothing really. If the stable closes because the shisho is retiring for age reasons or because he has passed away, it just becomes vacant and will eventually need to be passed on to a new owner within three years (like any kabu owned by somebody who's not a Kyokai member). If the shisho continues to be an active Kyokai member like ex-Takamisakari will do, he simply joins a different stable as an affiliated oyakata, retaining the same name.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing I find very interesting is how somehow the deal with Wakamatsu suddenly fell through - especially considering how he'd been snubbed by Takasago. 

5 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

The thing I find very interesting is how somehow the deal with Wakamatsu suddenly fell through - especially considering how he'd been snubbed by Takasago. 

I'm guessing he didn’t want it. Kind of a letdown after expecting to be an Oyakata of a name stable like Takasago (and not getting the nod) to head a stable with 6 somewhat esoteric rikishi.

Edited by Kintamayama

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm guessing he didn’t want it. Kind of a letdown after expecting to be an Oyakata of a name stable like Takasago (and not getting the nod) to head a stable with 6 somewhat esoteric rikishi.

Fair enough, though the only alternative if he wants to head a stable is waiting for a better opportunity or branching out, right? 

I'd have thought taking a less desirable stable would, if nothing else, be easier given the infrastructure is already in place. If your guess holds true it's a shame he's not backing himself to turn Azumazeki's fortunes around.

Asanowaka just barely missed the current branch-out requirements (60 basho in makuuchi, 25 in sanyaku, or ozeki) at 52 makuuchi basho. This would have been his best shot at his own stable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Asanowaka just barely missed the current branch-out requirements (60 basho in makuuchi, 25 in sanyaku, or ozeki) at 52 makuuchi basho. This would have been his best shot at his own stable.

Or, there could be a health reason.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

...or perhaps he simply doesn't want to.

As I wrote 5 posts above..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Or, there could be a health reason.

Articles speak of continuing bad condition, that could mean the physical condition of Wakamatsu, but rather that the negotiations didn't work out. The press didn't go into detail, maybe some tabloids will do so later.

Maybe Wakamatsu wanted to have it Wakamatsu-beya and Azumazeki wanted to preserve the name - there is still room for endless speculations.

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2021 at 23:12, Kamitsuumi said:

Sorry, I don't understand this. Ushiomaru didn't reach this numbers but he could manage the heya. Why? 

7 minutes ago, Leonishiki said:

Sorry, I don't understand this. Ushiomaru didn't reach this numbers but he could manage the heya. Why? 

Designated successor, same like Katsugayama

5 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Designated successor, same like Katsugayama

Ok, thanks. I think I still need to learn a lot of things regarding oyakata  

1 hour ago, Leonishiki said:

Ok, thanks. I think I still need to learn a lot of things regarding oyakata  

The rule was instigated to stop the proliferation of heya - there were so many branching out that I think it got up to 50 heya at one point. Onoe branching out from Mihogaseki was particularly controversial IIRC as he took all the best rikishi with him. The rule wasn't designed to interfere with the succession of an existing heya.

7 hours ago, ryafuji said:

The rule was instigated to stop the proliferation of heya - there were so many branching out that I think it got up to 50 heya at one point. Onoe branching out from Mihogaseki was particularly controversial IIRC as he took all the best rikishi with him. The rule wasn't designed to interfere with the succession of an existing heya.

It topped out at 55 for Haru 2004 after the creation of Shikoroyama-beya (followed immediately by the closure of Takekuma), and again for Kyushu 2004 to Haru 2005 with Chiganoura added. (That run was ended by Oshiogawa shutting down.)

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2021 at 17:07, Akinomaki said:

Articles speak of continuing bad condition, that could mean the physical condition of Wakamatsu, but rather that the negotiations didn't work out. The press didn't go into detail, maybe some tabloids will do so later.

Maybe Wakamatsu wanted to have it Wakamatsu-beya and Azumazeki wanted to preserve the name - there is still room for endless speculations.

He was commentating on Juryo today n NHK and sounded .quite healthy..

On 12/03/2021 at 08:08, Kintamayama said:

Folding. April 1st. Everyone moves to Hakkaku.

The five remaining rikishi moved today (April 3rd being an auspicious day on the Rokuyo calendar) along with Azumazeki-oyakata (former Komusubi Takamisakari), Makuuchi gyoji Kimura Yonosuke and yobidashi Daikichi. Not making the trip was 3rd class tokoyama Tokokei, who preferred to retire instead after over 12 years in the job.

Former Juryo Kaonishiki, who retired after the Haru basho, had applied for a wakaimonogashira position at some point, but was unsuccessful.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Ex-Takamiyama took part iמ the danpatsushiki of his last deshi Kaounishiki (42), which was held in the large room of the now defunct Azumazeki-beya.. 130 cutters, no active rikishi, but Takasago Oyakata, ex-Takamisakari and Oshiogawa (ex-Takekaze) Oyakata were there as well.  "It's a bit sad, although it happens.. Regarding ex-Takamisakari and the closure of Azumazeki-beya, not everyone is cut out to be an Oyakata.  He's a bachelor, but if he had a wife maybe things would have turned out differently. It's difficult doing it alone, but it could be done with the help of a heya manager who can take an okamisan's place.." lamented ex-Takamiyama. Ex-Takamisakari is training junior rikishi at Hakkaku beya now. "I think he is most happy now. I think it's a good thing he moved to Hakkaku beya. I think he will be very active from here on. He is a good man," summed ex-Takamiyama.

Jesse, Kaounishiki and Azumarobo Oyakata:

202105300000828-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

More from Kaonishiki's danpatsushiki - first and last shisho, Robo-cut

202105300000878-w200_2.jpgo   202105300000878-w200_1.jpgo

202105300000828-w1300_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2