Kintamayama

Azumazeki beya folding

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Ex-Takamiyama took part iמ the danpatsushiki of his last deshi Kaounishiki (42), which was held in the large room of the now defunct Azumazeki-beya.. 130 cutters, no active rikishi, but Takasago Oyakata, ex-Takamisakari and Oshiogawa (ex-Takekaze) Oyakata were there as well.  "It's a bit sad, although it happens.. Regarding ex-Takamisakari and the closure of Azumazeki-beya, not everyone is cut out to be an Oyakata.  He's a bachelor, but if he had a wife maybe things would have turned out differently. It's difficult doing it alone, but it could be done with the help of a heya manager who can take an okamisan's place.." lamented ex-Takamiyama. Ex-Takamisakari is training junior rikishi at Hakkaku beya now. "I think he is most happy now. I think it's a good thing he moved to Hakkaku beya. I think he will be very active from here on. He is a good man," summed ex-Takamiyama.

To clarify, the danpatsu-shiki took place at the older heya location in Higashi Komagata that they left in 2018. It seems it has remained intact since then, keikoba and all. The heya's most recent location is now home to Futagoyama-beya. A few more pictures:

Spoiler

Kaonishiki's kesho-mawashi were on display in the keikoba.

irWu3Qtl_o.jpg

1XPsCh9z_o.jpg

fpsoEqa0_o.jpg

SbLy6Zip_o.jpg

Danpatsu-shiki taking place.

VTyt5pZU_o.jpg

AQvIJSkN_o.jpg

tyLOhSUh_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

What vivid, colorful photos!:-)

• Like 1

Even accounting for the fact that one of them is the generic Toyo University crest design, four kesho-mawashi feels like a lot for somebody who had a single two-basho stint in juryo and didn't hail from a powerhouse heya.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Even accounting for the fact that one of them is the generic Toyo University crest design, four kesho-mawashi feels like a lot for somebody who had a single two-basho stint in juryo and didn't hail from a powerhouse heya.

Given the circumstances of his promotion, one can't even say that the 'donors' had expected him to have a long sekitori career. Actually it lasted just  22 actual bouts.

19 hours ago, shumitto said:

Given the circumstances of his promotion, one can't even say that the 'donors' had expected him to have a long sekitori career. Actually it lasted just  22 actual bouts.

On further thought, possibly the long time it took him to make it to juryo played into the creation of his many kesho-mawashi? He spent some three years consistently near the top of makushita before he finally made it, maybe preparations and the collecting of financial contributions had been going for quite a while...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:
20 hours ago, shumitto said:

On further thought, possibly the long time it took him to make it to juryo played into the creation of his many kesho-mawashi? He spent some three years consistently near the top of makushita before he finally made it, maybe preparations and the collecting of financial contributions had been going for quite a while...

Maybe the generous promotion to J6 (aftermath of yaochogate) and the 6-9 result on debut led to the belief (quite reasonable in my opinion) that he would hang around for a few more basho at least. Sadly injury derailed his second basho and that was that.

For reference if anyone's interested, the blue and white kesho-mawashi with the big 'shin' kanji was from his personal koenkai, the white one with depictions of namahage demons was from Akitachuo koenkai (秋田中央後援会), which I think just means the prefectural government. I can't make out the characters on the yellow one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/06/2021 at 01:27, Yubinhaad said:

Maybe the generous promotion to J6 (aftermath of yaochogate) and the 6-9 result on debut led to the belief (quite reasonable in my opinion) that he would hang around for a few more basho at least. Sadly injury derailed his second basho and that was that.

For reference if anyone's interested, the blue and white kesho-mawashi with the big 'shin' kanji was from his personal koenkai, the white one with depictions of namahage demons was from Akitachuo koenkai (秋田中央後援会), which I think just means the prefectural government. I can't make out the characters on the yellow one.

Will you believe it, as luck would have it that yellow one is the only one for which an image can't be found online. AND it's blocked by the gohei on the dohyo in the second photo which it appears!

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Azumazeki did have one of the most popular rikishi in sumo at the time. Maybe they attracted a lot of supporters.

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2021 at 18:27, Yubinhaad said:

(Detective...) Got it - Inazawa koenkai, 稲沢後援会. Inazawa in Aichi prefecture was Azumazeki-beya's base for the Nagoya basho (which was Kaonishiki's Juryo debut). I understand the city has a number of bonsai nurseries, hence the design.

lSenJzEW_o.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 6