Sign in to follow this  
mt fuji

Videos (all days) - Haru 2020

Just wanted to share this message about my channel for the upcoming basho. So far Hiradoumi, Tomokaze, and Roga have been added to this list! I was thinking about doing makuuchi videos but then I remembered about Daylight Saving Time.... as long as @Kintamayama is going strong I won't make myself stay up late enough to do those.

Hope everyone's safe and healthy - can't wait for the 14th!

Edited by mt fuji
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 10

On 06/03/2021 at 12:09, mt fuji said:

Just wanted to share this message about my channel for the upcoming basho. So far Hiradoumi, Tomokaze, and Roga have been added to this list! I was thinking about doing makuuchi videos but then I remembered about Daylight Saving Time.... as long as @Kintamayama is going strong I won't make myself stay up late enough to do those.

Hope everyone's safe and healthy - can't wait for the 14th!

Very impressive. Thanks for putting these up. I watched a number of the bouts you recorded during the Hatsu basho. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Some comments:

Shonannzakura -- has developed the "dang it!" head cock that Kaisei patented.

Despite looking like an old veteran Akiyama is only 20 y.o.

Takanoryu of the nice twist down changed his shikona for this basho from his given name of Taniguchi.  And he's 2-0!

Kotokino has 14 years on Koki (33 vs 17).

As his name suggests, Ouzakura is from Shikihide; he joined Sumo just before his 25th birthday.  Okanojo joined two years ago at 15.

Trivia bit: the last time Tomokaze won in a basho, he got a kinboshi for beating Kakuryu (9/2019).

Toma, one of Hakuho's boys, has encountered a wall in Sandanme.

Ishii, also from Miyagino and on the fast track, snatches defeat from the jaws of victory with a self-slippiotoshi.

Hatooka has two large spans of kyujo in his history, but seems capable of maintaining at upper Makushita; he's headed up the ladder again.

Kirameki (Daniel Velez) is still w/o a losing basho; Tochihayate has not gotten back to Makushita level after a year-long kyujo in 2016-2017.

The agressively-shikonaed Imafuku goes all Sengoku on Daishoki.

Asakishin and Kitadaichi performing at their upper-Mk peak levels.

Ofukasawa: "Oh, no, I ain't slipping this time."

Toshoyama after 8 years is at his top rank Ms 46 ... but now 0-2.

Shishi seems frustrated, but practically grabs his opponents hands with his mawashi; wins by semi-liftout.

Anzai wins the pushing, Kainoryu wins the bout.

Kirinofuji vs Kaiseijo looks like Dancing with the Martial Arts Stars.

Hiradoumi showed up with a gun; Shiba showed up with a knife.

Roga (Mongolian) looking very much in charge.

Oho also looking calm and collected.

• Like 3

Comments:

"What is the mysterious power that Sawaisamu has over Higohikari?"    "Wait, who?"

Murayama the latest Jonokuchi phenom from Narutobeya, defeating one of the last ex-Izutsu rikishi, Kakutaiki

16-year old Tsukioka grabs a hambone and takes out the 26-year old Azumayama.

Onoyama is from Yaese, Okinawa, also hometown of Hitoe Arakaki of girl-group SPEED.  Last basho he went kyujo at his highest ranking (Jd30), and is trying to get back there.

Chiyotaisei was COVID-kyujo last basho.

Bushi is recovering well from his 3-3-1 basho in January.

Tomokaze tries to slap out his opponent from 4 feet away to avoid accidentally falling down or stepping out.

Meanwhile, Atamifuji continues to look like Atomicfuji, easily swatting away Kiritsubasa, who's spent most of his career in Sandanme.

Ryuki, kyujo at Sd72 last basho, looks under-challenged by Chiyotaiyo, who was COVID last basho.

It is just slightly within the realm of possibility that Kiryu was robbed.  Thee seems to be a new "thing" in which a guy being pushed out grabs an arm and pulls his opponent along.  This is now fauned over as an amiuchi, as if the poor guy stood like Horatius at the Bridge and cast his opponent out from inside the straw bales.  Rubbish.

Mutsukaze is IMHO the coolest of the prematurely bald group, with his detached forelock and the plunging sideburns. 5-0 at Jd8 means he'll be back home in Sandanme next basho.

Speaking of Sd100TD, Nishikawa from Chuo U. is 5-0 in his first basho.

Hozan vs Akiyoshi was a man's match!

Iko tired himself out trying to knock over Fukushima, who is 11-1 on his way back up the ladder.

Like some other Narutobeya rikishi, Osuzuki seems to be faster than his weight would suggest.

Oazuma reminds me of my HS algebra teacher, or an extra from Seven Samurai.

Nabatame started his career with 4 KK's before going kyujo last basho; he's KK again.

Komanokuni goes to 5-0 as Horyuyama at the edge is thinking, "Well, you can't teach weight."

Seigo did everything right except he forgot to not fall down.  Is he the only rikishi whose shikona is his first name?

Sasakiyama survives an entertaining slap 'n' twirl bout.

Roman wins a very close call.

Abi uses a legal mugging to dispatch Tennozan.

Anzai looking uncharacteristically fragile; Otsuji trying to KK at his top rank.

Hiradoumi visibly frustrated after losing in a turnaround.

Asabenkei, sadly, looks a step behind where he should be.

One hell of an uwatenage at the bales by Kitanowaka!

Roga keeps hopes alive over Oho.

• Like 1