• Shodai KK
    • Shodai MK - kadoban
    • Takakeisho KK
    • Takakeisho demotion to Sekiwake
    • Terunofuji KK
    • Terunofuji KK - promotion to Ozeki
    • Terunofuji MK
  3. 3. Guess the colour of the giant macaron

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/03/21 at 05:00

Disclaimer/introduction for new players

The Wall:

If a sumotori gets his first makekoshi (MK = losing record) in that respective division, it's called "hitting the wall" (KK = winning record, means missing the wall, which is a good thing). For makuuchi this basho it's Midorifuji. In juryo we have Tohakuryu (ex-Shiraishi), Takakento and Bushozan.

Promotion/demotion/kadoban/intai:

Asanoyama and Shodai rebounced from their kadoban status by winning 11 bouts each, last basho. Takakeisho on the other hand had to drop out injured. Again. It's now the 3rd time he is kadoban and will be demoted to Sekiwake in case of an MK.

Terunofuji is on his 2nd Ozeki run. If he perseveres, he will make history. He will be the one who dropped the furthest from Ozeki (jd48w) and made it back to Ozeki. It's pretty impropable anyone will break that record until the end of life, the universe and everything. 10 wins should be enough, going just by the numbers. 11 or more wins and they can't deny him repromotion.

Guess the colour of the giant macaron:

One of the prices for the yusho winner is a giant fake macaron (as placeholder for a load of real, normal sized macarons from one of the best Pâtisseries in Paris). The colour varies and it has become a popular game to guess it.

• Like 1

Alright, I've gone on the record with my predictions and I'm ready to be wrong about all of them. I assume our votes will be visible after the poll has ended.

I think our Juryo wall rikishi are all gonna have a hard time, except Ura. Terunofuji is gonna continue his impressive record and maybe even surpass it, even with the two yokozuna present.

Midorifuji and Ura carry on successfully, the others splatter against walls. I think all ozeki do okay. The push from having some number of yokozuna and an ozeki hopeful will elevate them. Terunofuji is one of the most driven men alive, and will be ozeki in May. Macaron will be a nice spring yellow.

On 03/03/2021 at 06:58, Churaumi said:

Midorifuji and Ura carry on successfully, the others splatter against walls. I think all ozeki do okay. The push from having some number of yokozuna and an ozeki hopeful will elevate them. Terunofuji is one of the most driven men alive, and will be ozeki in May. Macaron will be a nice spring yellow.

LOL, sinc we're all in agreement, another M-16 or 17 will probably yusho again...

On 03/03/2021 at 15:58, Churaumi said:

Midorifuji carry on successfully

Not 100% healthy. Hasn't trained much. Just saying..

19 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Not 100% healthy. Hasn't trained much. Just saying..

That also describes most of makuuchi, though. I don't think it will be a great basho for Midorifuji, but he'll pull off a kachikoshi. I think. Probably. Maybe? 

• Like 1

I think I remember seeing a red macaron in previous years??? Perhaps the green will make another appearance.