Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Invitation to the Haru basho 2021 GTB - 124 entries -and RESULTS!!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Reonito said:

There's really not a good choice for anyone to move up to take their places...

I don't remember there ever being a duo from the same rank and with a 7-8 keeping their ranks. To be fair, I don't remember where I left my keys, but still..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't remember there ever being a duo from the same rank and with a 7-8 keeping their ranks. To be fair, I don't remember where I left my keys, but still..

I haven't looked for the most recent example, but here's one from Natsu 2016:

Aoiyama M3e 7-8 M3 Aminishiki M3w 7-8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to be the only person not promoting Tsurugisho, and keeping Tokushoryu. This concerns me.

My picks:

East Rank West
Hakuho (COVID-19 KOSHO) Y Kakuryu (0-0-15)
Shodai (11-4) O1 Asanoyama (11-4)
Takakeisho (2-8-5) O2  
Terunofuji (11-4) S1 Takanosho (9-6)
  S2 Daieisho (13-2)
Takayasu (9-6) K Mitakeumi (9-6)
Takarafuji (9-6) M1 Hokutofuji (7-8)
Onosho (9-6) M2 Wakatakakage (COVID-19 KOSHO)
Meisei (8-7) M3 Kiribayama (8-7)
Shimanoumi (9-6) M4 Myogiryu (8-7)
Ichinojo (9-6) M5 Endo (7-8)
Okinoumi (7-8) M6 Tamawashi (6-9)
Hoshoryu (9-6) M7 Midorifuji (9-6)
Kotonowaka (10-5) M8 Kagayaki (6-9)
Chiyonokuni (COVID-19 KOSHO) M9 Tobizaru (6-9)
Tochinoshin (4-11) M10 Akiseyama (9-6)
Chiyotairyu (COVID-19 KOSHO) M11 Kotoshoho (2-13)
Ryuden (4-11) M12 Aoiyama (6-9)
Terutsuyoshi (7-8) M13 Chiyoshoma (COVID-19 KOSHO)
Kotoeko (6-9) M14 Daiamami (8-7)
Tokushoryu (3-12) M15 Yutakayama (7-8)
Kaisei (COVID-19 KOSHO) M16 Hidenoumi (11-4)
Edited by Houmanumi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Wow, all of you have  Endou and Okinoumi staying at 7-8?

FWIW, it's essentially a half-rank demotion considering the extra sanyaku slot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

I seem to be the only person not promoting Tsurugisho, and keeping Tokushoryu. This concerns me.

My picks:

East Rank West
Hakuho (COVID-19 KOSHO) Y Kakuryu (0-0-15)
Shodai (11-4) O1 Asanoyama (11-4)
Takakeisho (2-8-5) O2  
Terunofuji (11-4) S1 Takanosho (9-6)
  S2 Daieisho (13-2)
Takayasu (9-6) K Mitakeumi (9-6)
Takarafuji (9-6) M1 Hokutofuji (7-8)
Onosho (9-6) M2 Wakatakakage (COVID-19 KOSHO)
Meisei (8-7) M3 Kiribayama (8-7)
Shimanoumi (9-6) M4 Myogiryu (8-7)
Ichinojo (9-6) M5 Endo (7-8)
Okinoumi (7-8) M6 Tamawashi (6-9)
Hoshoryu (9-6) M7 Midorifuji (9-6)
Kotonowaka (10-5) M8 Kagayaki (6-9)
Chiyonokuni (COVID-19 KOSHO) M9 Tobizaru (6-9)
Tochinoshin (4-11) M10 Akiseyama (9-6)
Chiyotairyu (COVID-19 KOSHO) M11 Kotoshoho (2-13)
Ryuden (4-11) M12 Aoiyama (6-9)
Terutsuyoshi (7-8) M13 Chiyoshoma (COVID-19 KOSHO)
Kotoeko (6-9) M14 Daiamami (8-7)
Tokushoryu (3-12) M15 Yutakayama (7-8)
Kaisei (COVID-19 KOSHO) M16 Hidenoumi (11-4)

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

FWIW, it's essentially a half-rank demotion considering the extra sanyaku slot.

Indeed, but I never think of it that way, which probably explains my excellent history in this dumb game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

66 for me. I don't think it's winning but it's not bad.

Edit - Actually not that great either, considering anyone who put Tochinoshin/Tobizaru ahead of Hoshoryu/Midorifuji probably got full points for the latter pair.

Edited by Kaito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

70 for me.  Wow.  What I had wrong (max 84)

Kagyaki and Tobizaru wrong side (-2).  Tochinoshin and Kotonowaka wrong rank (and side) (-4).  I"ll definitely say I'm not surprised to lose most of the point for these 4 ranks.  But at least I had the right 4 people and the rank right on two.

Kotoshoho and Ryuden switched locations (-4).  This is really just a one-place switch as Chiyotairyu was not moving between them.  Would have been -4 either way.  It's always tough to tell what they'll do with a 2-13.

Hidenoumi and Yutakayama switched sides (-2).  Yeah, this probably makes more sense.

And Daieisho.  Sigh.  I don't understand. (-2)

Edited by Gurowake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

68, pretty good, but this seems to be a high scoring basho so let's see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58, not that great considering. Too many misses and hits (non-bullseyes) wore me down. They were a lot nicer to Tochinoshin and Kotonsho than I though.

But I really don't understand the Daieisho decision at all! I wonder if anyone guessed K2W for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I basically had everything right M6 and up (except, obviously, Daieisho) and M12 and down, and everything wrong in between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hidenotora said:

They were a lot nicer to Tochinoshin and Kotonsho than I though.

Tochinoshin I agree with a little, but I still don't see it as being too far off.  I thought they'd be willing to drop the 6-9 guys only a half-rank (it's happened in the past, although admittedly under much more extreme cirumstances), and decided they had to go down at least a full rank.  The guy you put at M7e then is either Kotonowaka or Tochinoshin, with the former having a half-rank better rank/record by the numbers.  However, as is often the case, those with full joi schedules and MKs not only get priority over equal KKs from down the banzuke, they can even win out over ones with a slightly better rank/record.  So that's how Tochinoshin ended up there, and why I'm not surprised that I lost most of the points in that section.  I knew there were lots of possibilities there, and I was just guessing which one they'd take.

For Kotoshoho, I was expecting even more leniant treatment.  A 2-13 is generally not dropped 11 ranks, and 10 is a bit better guess.  That puts him on equal footing with Ryuden, while Ryuden's joi schedule was much sparser than Kotoshoho's so I thought the latter would get the nod.  Sure, I can see that you might think Akiseyama and Aoiyama might get the nod by default, but with the adjustment to the 2-13 record that seems to be the norm Kotoshoho should definitely be above them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

The guy you put at M7e then is either Kotonowaka or Tochinoshin, with the former having a half-rank better rank/record by the numbers.

I thought Kotonowaka was such an obvious choice for M7e that I didn't even consider alternatives. It would have been an utterly ordinary if lucky promotion, as opposed to a demotion nearly unprecedented in its leniency.

Edited by Reonito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting banzuke indeed-excellent results at the top. The yusho winner did it for the third time. 73 points. It's Itachiyama!! Congratulations and jubilations. Not one single player got Daieishou right. No less than 17 new players, five kachikoshi, two in the top ten, one of them in third place!! Cheesofuji, what a first basho.. 124 players in all made the effort. Incredible. And at the top of the banzuke now sits Reonito.

Milestones, and what milestones indeed!!:

Ullishimaru- 120th basho!! (20 years more or less..)

Yubinhaad- 120th basho!!

Takanorappa- 120th basho!!

Jakusotsu - 100th basho!!

Pitinosato- 90th basho!!

Korinokoishi- 30th basho

To see how you did, go here.

Thank you all for playing, and thank you Andoreasu for running it and Doitsuyama for maintaining it.

And now- on with the Ba-show!!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, I'm another one with pretty much everything wrong (bar the kyujo guys) from M7 to M13. They really do love themselves some ultra-lenient MK demotions these last few years.

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for getting the results up quickly Kinta!

58 points, 53rd position, 8-7. Not that great, but better than last time at least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly a lot higher-scoring basho than last time.  The winning score last time would have gotten an 8-7 this time.  I personally had twice the score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seventh place at my first attempt; all downhill from here.  Did anyone get Kotoshoho at 11w? He was my biggest miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Did anyone get Kotoshoho at 11w? He was my biggest miss.

(Dancingofjoy...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2021 at 17:28, Akinomaki said:

Daieisho's local Saitama TV had a special on him yesterday, and they put it on YT

Daieisho himself was sure to be sekiwake for March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbhx19-4g3Y&t=23m11s

I also got Kotoshoho at 11w, apart from 2 avoidable misses (Kiribayama-Shimanoumi swap and dropping Kaisei half a rank, just assuming the NSK nonsense where it didn't happen), I made the usual medium mistakes - putting juryo too high, dropping Yutakayama and Tochinoshin too low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/02/2021 at 23:13, Tigerboy1966 said:

Seventh place at my first attempt; all downhill from here.  Did anyone get Kotoshoho at 11w? He was my biggest miss.

I did actually. I also got the Endo/Okinoumi pairing correct too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this