Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Invitation to the Haru basho 2021 GTB - 124 entries -and RESULTS!!

No phone calls this time. Lockdown. Also, not in the mood for funny today. It's a "do or die" basho, after all. Please play properly. No pulling. Gambarize. Your own sumo. Forward. Concentrate day by day. This is serious stuff here. No mah-jong. Only mah-ssage. No socializing. Masks. I lost because i am weak. Give it your all. Listen to your body. If it says something, call a neighbor. Sunscreen. Shinitai. Shin gi tai. Kachinanori. That lady in the corner. Akiseyama's amiuchi. OK, you get it, I'm losing it. The lockdown ate my dingo.

This is an invitation to play the "Guess the Banzuke" game!! 23 years, 136 bashos. Please play.

Game rules: Guess the Banzuke. Simple. You get two points for a bulls-eye and one point for just getting the rank right. You get no points for being part of the world-wide conspiracy. Tiebreakers - Most total guesses, then we check the banzuke backwards - getting the lower half right will be important.  The most correct guesses in the last ten places will win the tiebreaker. If still tied, we go up a ranking at a time like a penalty shootout. It's up to you to check if you are on the list of entries. It's going to be your fault if you don't notice that your entry went missing in the Internet void. No late entries will be expected or accepted. And rules will never be changed. Just like the dohyo will never be lowered. It's an axiom. 

For rules, standings and PCR tests: http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

For the nifty entry form: http://sumodb.sumoga...b/GTBEntry.aspx

For the "new" archives: http://sumodb.sumoga...gtbarchive.aspx

See if you are on the entry list: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/gtb/GTBEntryList.aspx
Monday, February 22nd, 2021 at 18:00 GMT ("Go Mah-jong, Tokitsukaze!!") - PLEASE NOTE-THIS IS ONE WEEK BEFORE THE OFFICIAL BANZUKE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Special thanks to Andoreasu who runs it, Doitsuyama who automates and maintains it and to James Worthy, the only person I know who cannot ever say "I am not worthy!!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Was wondering where the GTB thread was! I'll be submitting my entry as soon as I'm happy with it, I keep second guessing myself about the mid-table. I'm guessing they won't be moving any of the COVID-kyujo guys from January even though they said some of them may be moving; I presume they're talking about the upper part of juryo, which is a bit of a mess.

Less than a week and only 68 entries?? We'll never get to 200 like this..

In like flynt.

I think there is a glitch in the game.

I tried to select no yokozuna, but the game wouldn't let me.

I don't believe sumo has any yokozuna, they are just a conspiracy "properly" foisted upon us by the MIB (or mr golden whatnots) (Dohyo-iri...)

8 hours ago, Kujo said:

I don't believe sumo has any yokozuna, they are just a conspiracy "properly" foisted upon us by the MIB (or mr golden whatnots) (Dohyo-iri...)

Got me..

On 17/02/2021 at 01:07, Kintamayama said:

Less than a week and only 68 entries?? We'll never get to 200 like this..

In fairness, this sanyaku selection seems insane. Don't get me wrong, thus far I'm a middling GTB player at best; but I honestly don't know what to expect.

To quote a great man quoting one of the great prog bands, "If we make it, we can all sit back and laugh, but I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.".

• Thanks 1

Finally came around to doing my draft, and I'm struggling with the last two slots. Which one of Tokushoryu/Kaisei/Daiamami will get shafted? Time to roll the dice...

On 19/02/2021 at 09:10, Jakusotsu said:

Finally came around to doing my draft, and I'm struggling with the last two slots. Which one of Tokushoryu/Kaisei/Daiamami will get shafted? Time to roll the dice...

I'd say Kaisei is staying put at his rank. Tokushoryu definitely in, in my opinion, but hey, I suck at this. 

Fastest Banzuke I ever made ... I fear it might be my worst attempt to date ;) 

I may or may not be in the majority, but I kept the Covid guys at their specific ranks. Glad I'm not playing guess the Juryo banzuke though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

I may or may not be in the majority, but I kept the Covid guys at their specific ranks. Glad I'm not playing guess the Juryo banzuke though

Makuuchi covid guys are far enough from each other that they don't need to bother moving them around to make room for others, imo. I'd go as far as calling that 12 easy points.
But nobody can trust the banzuke makers. I wouldn't bet $10 on where Daieisho will be spotted. 

11 minutes ago, Oortael said:

Makuuchi covid guys are far enough from each other that they don't need to bother moving them around to make room for others, imo. I'd go as far as calling that 12 easy points.
But nobody can trust the banzuke makers. I wouldn't bet $10 on where Daieisho will be spotted. 

Yes it's funny how one guy could mean the difference between anywhere from 0 to 40 possible points

39 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Yes it's funny how one guy could mean the difference between anywhere from 0 to 40 possible points

Man, I'm the perfect exemple for this : I took the 4-man Komusubi route for Hatsu ... finished dead last.
Still think that was the best option. 

• Like 1

A few hours left. I have Daieishou as Sekiwake W2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

In this case, guessing Daieishou at either Komusubi or Sekiwake (he will Shirley be ranked at either) and getting it wrong won't change much- Sanyaku will still be 10 rikishi so it won't  affect the Maegashira guys. 

• Like 1

124 entries.

Here's mine:

Hakuho (Ye 0-0-15)        Y    Kakuryu (Yw 0-0-15)
Shodai (O1w 11-4)         O1   Asanoyama (O2e 11-4)
Takakeisho (O1e 2-8-5)    O2   ---
Terunofuji (Se 11-4)      S1   Takanosho (Sw 9-6)
---                       S2   Daieisho (M1w 13-2 Y)
Takayasu (Ke 9-6)         K    Mitakeumi (Kw 9-6)

Takarafuji (M2e 9-6)      M1   Onosho (M3w 9-6)
Hokutofuji (M1e 7-8)      M2   Wakatakakage (M2w kosho)
Meisei (M7e 8-7)          M3   Shimanoumi (M10e 9-6)
Kiribayama (M8w 8-7)      M4   Myogiryu (M9w 8-7)
Endo (M5e 7-8)            M5   Okinoumi (M5w 7-8)
Ichinojo (M12e 9-6)       M6   Tamawashi (M4w 6-9)
Kotonowaka (M15w 10-5)    M7   Hoshoryu (M14e 9-6)
Midorifuji (M14w 9-6)     M8   Kagayaki (M6w 6-9)
Chiyonokuni (M9e kosho)   M9   Tochinoshin (M4e 4-11)
Tobizaru (M7w 6-9)        M10  Akiseyama (M16w 9-6)
Chiyotairyu (M11e kosho)  M11  Ryuden (M6e 4-11)
Kotoshoho (M3e 2-13)      M12  Terutsuyoshi (M12w 7-8)
Aoiyama (M10w 6-9)        M13  Chiyoshoma (M13w kosho)
Kotoeko (M11w 6-9)        M14  Tsurugisho (J8e 12-3 Y)
Yutakayama (M15e 7-8)     M15  Hidenoumi (J6w 11-4)
Kaisei (M16e kosho)       M16  Daiamami (J1w 8-7)

As I said after the basho this seemed very straight-forward to me, and for the first time in a long while I didn't end up changing anything between first draft and submission. We'll see if my decision to un-demote nearly all the 7-8's (everyone bar Hokutofuji) was a good one...

I think I count 5 swaps between our entries, worth 14 points: Ichinojo-Tamawashi, Midorifuji-Kagayaki, Akiseyama-Kotoshoho, Terutsuyoshi-Aoiyama, and Yutakayama-Hidenoumi. I demoted the 7-8's when at all possible, but was more lenient with a couple of the 6-9's, and gave Kotoshoho a big benefit of the doubt.

1stand3rd.png

My 1st draft alongside my 3rd and final draft. I don't know if my tinkering was any good, but I went from very close to Asashosakari to very close to Reonito.

Colored groups represent tiers I was unsure about how to order.

• Like 1

I know Kagayaki has been a very lucky boy recently, but a half-rank drop after a 6-9 would take that to another level.

My guess, pretty similar to a lot of others.
I kept moving around guys like Kotoshoho and Tochinoshin a lot, M7-M13 or so is where all the variation is, but I imagine this will be a much higher scoring game on average than the last one! Things will come down to getting the half rank/1 rank differences we all have correct or not.
I'm less happy with my guess now than I was originally but it'll do OK I think.

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 03.17.07.png

Looks like my dice fell the wrong way with demoting Kaisei in favour of Tokushoryu, but let's wait and see...

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Looks like my dice fell the wrong way with demoting Kaisei in favour of Tokushoryu, but let's wait and see...

It'd be really harsh if they demoted Kaisei; he was out through no fault of his own, and dropping to juryo would mean a loss of salary for something that he had no control over. It's possible they could do it but it'd be immensely unfair.

Wow, all of you have  Endou and Okinoumi staying at 7-8? I have them both dropping to 6.  Geez, this is bad.. Haven't there ever been 6-9s dropping only one rank?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Wow, all of you have  Endou and Okinoumi staying at 7-8? I have them both dropping to 6.  Geez, this is bad.. Haven't there ever been 6-9s dropping only one rank?

There's really not a good choice for anyone to move up to take their places...

• Like 1