Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Haru 2021

Daieishou started training today- another fundamentalist- butsugarist. He also had a one week rest, but.. "I was running all over the place between various functions pertaining to my yusho, so rest? No way.. Still, I'm thankful, " he said. He visited his hometown of Saitama as the first ever Saitama boy to get the yusho. He couldn't visit his own house, but spoke via a local TV show with his mother and to his beloved dog. "Even at the railway station there was a huge picture of me and a banner was raised at the municipality. I'm happy that my hometown is excited. I want to properly train as usual so I may be able to do my own kind of sumo and properly build my body. As for the next basho being held in Tokyo, I was asked by Osaka fans to make a good showing in Osaka and i felt I really wanted to do that local basho, but I want to gambarize so they they can properly watch the bouts on TV. I intend to face the next basho as a challenger and not as a favorite.. I want to train hard so that even though my opponents have been studying my sumo, I will be able to do serious sumo.." he said. Is he aiming for Ozeki? "Hey, I have never had a kachikoshi at Sekiwake yet.. If I don't get a kachikoshi, all this talk is nonsense.  After I leave some respectable results I can maybe start aiming for Ozeki.." he summed. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Are we really sure he's going to do everything properly? Maybe someone someone should check with him just to be sure... 

2 minutes ago, dingo said:

Are we really sure he's going to do everything properly? Maybe someone someone should check with him just to be sure... 

Does anyone tell the press "I thought I was progressing, but later found out that I was training improperly"?

5 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

しっかり

Oh, he was creative! I would've guessed ちゃんと

10 hours ago, dingo said:

Oh, he was creative! I would've guessed ちゃんと

No, that is weak. しっかり is STRONG!!

• Like 1

NOJY Terunofuji faced Takarafuji and Terutsuyoshi today in training. "About 20-30 bouts..Still a long way to go till day one, so it's good if I take things slowly. If I prepare myself well as usual I can accumulate those wins one by one. If I fail, it will be due to my own inability, and if the results will be good, that would be good, is my feeling. I'm not thinking profound thoughts about the particulars too much. I haven't given much thought about joining the Kyokai's training sessions yet. I'll decide when the time comes," he said. Daieishou's yusho reminded him of when he got promoted to Ozeki when he was only 23. "I was the youngest joi at that time. A lot of the present joi are my age and that's an incentive. I was ranked higher than them at that time and with that in mind my pride is driving me these days.." he added. He got married a few days ago. "I really wanted to hold  a decent wedding ceremony and a  reception but due to the virus, I couldn't, but was able to have a nice ceremony and hopefully she was happy anyway. With all the noise it made, I have to get a good result.. She is being guided by my doctor as to my menu (diabetes) ," he added more. "I don't have anyone special I want to face next basho., Whoever my opponent is, all I can do is go all out!" he summed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mitakeumi since the 15th is doing 15 bouts with makushita per day, and he managed to lose 10kg with a diet. He had close to 180kg once and now is after 2 years again below 170kg: he couldn't go out much due to Corona and took care not to overeat. Preparations for next basho: "So that double digits is like a natural thing." http://hochi.news/articles/20210216-OHT1T50154.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Still Komusubi Mitakeumi did some fundamentals today and faced Makushita and unders for 15 bouts, as there really isn't anyone serious to train  with at Dewanoumi beya at the moment. He has started sumo training on the 15th, I was made aware. He was 9-6 last basho beating the three Ozeki, but losing to the other three sanyaku, and will preserve his fifth straight sanyaku rank. "Last basho I was able to do my own sumo without pulling, so even if I did go on a four bout losing streak from day four, I didn't take it to heart so much. Facing the Ozeki, I felt I could face them. I properly remembered every single bout for the 15 days.. Daieishou yusho? When the difference in ability between the top rankers gets smaller I think everyone around takes notice. That is why I want to make getting double digit wins at sanyaku a norm. I'm trying to polish my ability to be agile and nimble. I've always thought speed equals weight. I thought if I gain weight I could  keep up my speed which will result in force, but it just didn't happen. It's important to be able to move as you imagine," he said. He reached 180 kilos at some point but now he is back to 170, his weight three years ago, but he says he feels his physical strength has not declined. He intends to join the Kyokai's training sessions. Last time he was there for the first day but injured his back and stayed away for the rest of the days.  This time he intends to go the distance. Osaka fans? "It's a once a year event in Osaka so it's really regretful (that it's not happening) and I am really sorry.. The fans can watch it on TV and as for myself, I want to make this a special basho.." he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

16 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Mitakeumi since the 15th is doing 15 bouts with makushita per day, and he managed to lose 10kg with a diet. He had close to 180kg once and now is after 2 years again below 170kg: he couldn't go out much due to Corona and took care not to overeat. Preparations for next basho: "So that double digits is like a natural thing." http://hochi.news/articles/20210216-OHT1T50154.html

These are indeed very good news!

Maybe it's just my personal perception, but I felt that 180kg Mitakeumi clearly lacks agility compared to his former self from ~ 2 years ago. If he can keep his weight in the 165kg area, I think that would suit him just fine.

• Like 1

Daieishou has been training with Sekitori from the beginning of this month, and today he faced Tobizaru, Tsurugishou, Daiamami and others for 18 bouts. Although  it’s  difficult to train well due to the corona virus, Oitekaze Oyakata has decided that every Wednesday and Sunday  will be days of rest.  Is that a good system?, "I’m giving it all I’ve got when we’re at it,”  said Daieishou. In an environment where there are as many as 6 Sekitori including himself  at the heya , the Kyokai training sessions with rikishi from other heya may not be very attractive for him. ”I won’t be participating. I have enough training partners at the heya.There is no real reason to join,” he explained, and will  not participate.  After his   yusho in Hatsu he will be under deeper  scrutiny. ”People will be watching me. I hope to put pressure on myself to properly do good sumo,” he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The masses sidelined by the virus last basho have started training.

Arashio-beya: 12 infected including the Oyakata: "We're fine and are able to properly do keiko. We will re-gambarize next basho. I'd like to show a lot of activity on the dohyo ," said a recovering Wakatakakage, who only had a fever and a soar throat.

Miyagino beya: Enhou is training vigorously. "My condition is mostly back to normal. I will be gambarizing in order to return to Makuuchi," he said.  Eyewitnesses say Hakuhou is back to training as well.

Those sekitori living outside the heya and sidelined even though they were found negative didn't even do any shiko during the hiatus in consideration of the neighbors.

Tomozuna beya's Kaisei: "First of all, I will be building my body properly!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Tomozuna beya's Kaisei: "First of all, I will be building my body properly!"

So I see the big Brazilian has mastered idiomatic JapaneseB-).

Abi will be back this basho. "I want to show my style of going all out again this coming basho. I am thankful for my fans who have supported me all this time. I am doing keiko properly!" he declared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Terunofuji actually needs 9 wins to meet the criteria of 33 wins over three basho to return to Ozeki. But we know these criteria are very flexible. Which reminds me of a joke. A guy comes up to a gym trainer and says he wants to start doing gymnastics. "Are you flexible?" asks the trainer. "I'm free most evenings.." he answers. Back to you, Tom. But seriously, folks, Terunofuji spoke today. "I'm finally approaching it. I can hardly believe this day has really arrived.. It took two years (since he dropped all the way to Jonidan 48). It's going according to plan, " he said. Only one previous  Ozeki  (Kaiketsu, back in 1977) made it back to Ozeki after dropping to Maegashira. Nobody has ever done it after dropping to Juryo or lower. "Still, if I don't get those 33 wins it means nothing. I'll be aiming for that and going all out and hopefully do good sumo," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Kotoyuki has dropped to makushita, like Ikioi after about 10 years. His left knee still needs care, he had surgery on it in October: "My body is not in perfect condition, but till the last moment I will keep trying to see if I can stand on the dohyo (for Haru) or not." After a kyujo in November he had a big makekoshi last basho: "With injuries all over the body, the best possible result." In addition to care for the body after the basho, he thinks about reducing the burden for the knee and puts great effort into reducing his weight: "To be honest, both elbows and knees are not in best condition." "Also for those who cheer for me, I'll continue treatment and care." http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/sports/local/article.aspx?id=20210302000134

• Like 3

Takanoshou faced Takagenji and Takakento for some sumo training this morning for about 15 bouts. The heya moved to their spacious new premises two weeks ago and everyone seems to be happy. "The atmosphere is great. It's very easy to do keiko. There is enough place outside the dohyo to do the fundamentals as well," he enthused. He is on a 5 basho kachikoshi streak in the upper echelons and has pretty much been camping there lately. "I've been able to get two straight kachikoshi bashos at sekiwake. I think I've added me some power. Of course, I am aiming for double digit wins every basho. Higher? Physical strength and mental mettle is what is needed and when I manage to combine them, I think I get good results so from here on I shall be training well and hope to reach the basho in good shape. The reasons for my success lately? First off, it's the mental aspect.  Pushing only is never enough- I think I have been able to use my head (literally) lately.." he said. Because of the Yokozuna absences, Takanoshou has only faced Hakuhou once so far and lost. This basho, he may face them both. "I can only go out with my all..I will be facing them with the intention of borrowing their chests and do the best I can. My goals for the basho? I will gambarize and go all out in the hope that I will get double digit wins," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Takayasu did not do any sumo training today, only the fundamentals. He did face ex-Kisenosato twice these last few days. "He has a mean tachiai and does not give up at the edge of the dohyo and it's always good keiko with him," he explained. Two straight kachikoshi at Komusubi. "I'm just doing my best and the results follow.. Slowly but Shirley I have been feeling that I can get good results. I have been in the yusho race a few times but the content of my training is getting better than when that happened.," he added. He has still not seen his first born. "I see her on the phone.. We have yet to meet but she is a great incentive for me and I plan to gambarize with her on my mind. My thought is that I want to properly achieve a good result until we finally meet," he said. He celebrated his 31st birthday a few days ago. "I want to make this an exceptional year. My fighting spirit is still burning. I want to aim upwards once more for the highest rank and will gambarize towards that end!" he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Midorifuji suffered a herniated disk a few weeks ago. "About a week or so after the basho break. It was a bit painful before but then it became unbearable. I could hardly walk. It was diagnosed as a herniated disk," he explained. He could hardly train as well, but lately he is back in training, mostly fundamentals. Today, he had one bout against a Makushita and under rikishi.   "I can walk normally now. At some point it was really bad, but it's fine now. I think I will be ready in time for the basho. I feel I can go," he said. He had nine wins last basho and got a special prize. "That really built my confidence. I was facing these guys that I used to watch on TV. Winning nine bouts really helped build my confidence. I am a bit anxious about the basho (due to lack of proper preparation), but I will be aiming for kachikoshi," he said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Takarafuji trained at home with the sekitori and Makushita and unders - did 40 bouts. "I usually have at least 30 bouts every day," he boasted. "My second son was born last April," he divulged. That's his motivation to make a sanyaku return for the first time since September 2016. "I haven't been to sanyaku since my boys were born (first one born four years ago) and i really want them to see that," he added. He celebrated his 34th birthday in February. He has never gone kyujo since entering sumo in January 2009. "Unless I tear a ligament or summin, you'll see me out there - it goes without saying. I want to leave a record, but I will be facing each basho at a time and gambarizing with all I have," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Kotonowaka trained with Kotoekou and Kotoshouhou today. “I didn’t count the numbers. I’m training by time. I guess I was at it for about  an hour, but we’re going by feeling and doing it properly. We’re doing what we can without restricting ourselves to numbers. My injury and subsequent drop to Juryo was caused by my being weak so I was properly working on fixing that. I was thinking maybe it’s important to go about it without overthinking so I just went for it only thinking to wildly do what I can.. I think it has been a year of learning.” he said. In January he managed to get 10 wins, his best yet. “It’s important to add power properly and not lose at the tachiai, and not to forget that the fundamentals are an important factor. My results last basho have given me a lot of self confidence in building my foundation. It has been a great experience, “ he added.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kotoshouhou trained today with Kotonowaka and Kotoekou . “I have a habit of getting into a right sideways position. So I’m training to not let that happen. it’s a bad habit and I need to get into a better position,” he explained. Last basho he had 11 straight losses from day one .“It’s the first time this has happened to me so I really didn’t know how to deal with it. I told myself to concentrate on one bout at a time, but that didn’t help..” he said. He finally won on day 12 but ended with a 2-13 record. “I don’t really fuss about winning. You can either win or lose. I can’t go out there thinking I can only win - I just need to get out there and give it my all. I think it’s important not to fuss too much about it..You need to learn from your experience, otherwise it’s meaningless, so I do want to make use of it, “ he added furthermore. He somehow managed to stay in Makuuchi. “I just want to become stronger as fast as possible, “ he summed. As long as he’s in Makuuchi, he  is aiming for sanyaku, opined the reporter.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Mitakeumi trained today, facing Makushita and unders at his heya for about 20 bouts. At the Kyokai Keiko, he injured the right side of his chest during a bout with Kakuryuu and left the scene.  "The muscle of the pectoral area became rigid. A stabbing sensation.. I could not get any power going at times.. I have been able to properly medicate so there is no problem now," he said. Last basho he managed to get 9 wins, beating Asanoyama, Shoudai and Takakeishou. "These are the three guys I really don't want to lose to. They managed to reach Ozeki before me and that's disappointing.. Now that Terunofuji and Daieishou are vying for Ozeki and things are heating up, I Shirley can't be letting up. I just want to do things at my own pace without taking notice of what's going on around me," he added.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tobizaru was interviewed today. Two straight makekoshis. "I was taking it too easily, and that was the cause of my losses. I was quick to pull and underestimated my opponents. I was not in top shape.  It's not on purpose, i just have this bad habit of underestimating  people, for a long time now," he disclosed. In his first Makuuchi basho he did well, gave humble interviews and facing mostly those ranked above him, did extremely well. "I guess when I'm facing opponents ranked higher than me, I try harder, but i don't like to say that. When I underestimate my opponent, I tell myself I can beat him by pulling, so let's do that, and generally I'm thinking unnecessary thoughts and that doesn't result in good sumo.. Next basho I will give it my all regardless of whom I'm facing. That is one of my goals, " he added. His brother Hidenoumi is back in Makuuchi after three years. "That was quite unexpected and excellent!! We need to gambarize and keep doing what we're doing, us brothers.." he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Many people expected Daieishou to be promoted to Sekiwake after his 13-2 yusho but that did not happen. “I really can’t be thinking about that..it doesn’t matter what your rank is - if you don’t leave a good result it is meaningless.. I aimed to return to sanyaku and did that and if I continue to do well, well.. is what I’m thinking..” he said. He faced Endou and others for about 25 bouts today. He is slated to face all the top brass this basho again, with the Yokozunae added to the mix.. “I haven’t given it much thought yet. Last basho I was able to beat all 7 rikishi ranked above me in the first 7 days (a first time ever achievement) and that saw me through till the end. All those ranked above me are strong so I’m hoping to be able to ride the first - half wave again this basho..I want to put pressure on myself. I can’t remain in a festive mood forever. I will do my own sumo all the way ” he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2