Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Special Kyokai training before Haru

Hakuhou came, did not do any sumo, lent his chest to Enhou, checked out his tachiai, stomped, teppole, and that’s it.

• Like 1

Takayasu 13-1 against Asanoyama. “I called him out. It’s not about the numbers, it’s about the content. I was pushed back but managed to  properly stave him off and recover. The important thing is to move forward. I feel I’m still not at my best so I can’t let up but the content was good and I did not let my opponent get into his own sumo.. I wanted to bring myself to a favorable position while not letting my opponent achieve that. As for the remaining three days, I will be consulting with my body. I hope to be able to train with the Yokozunae as well,” he said.

Asanoyama: “Today was different. He put a lot of pressure on me and was very quick. I have been able to do forward moving sumo these three days. I still have a lot of issues to address but I hope to correct my mistakes  by day one of the next basho. I want to use these sessions as a springboard for a March yusho,” he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou ... lent his chest to Enhou

Wow. (Sigh...) For this it was definitely worth coming to a special training. 

Edited by Qwerry

Busy news day.. Kakuryuu did not do any sumo today, after having 30 matches the last two days. He lent his chest to Ounoshou and Houshouryuu, though. “I wanted to train against guys who put pressure on you. It’s a totally different type of training.. Still, I would like to step on the dohyo and face guys like the Ozeki ..” he said.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Qwerry said:

Wow. (Sigh...) For this it was definitely worth coming to a special training. 

He did this in the heya. Here is some news that isn't yet on this forum, like Hakuho's first interview since he was discharged from the hospital, according to Nikkan Sports

'To prepare for Hatsu, I intended to do at least 20 bouts a day. However, after 10, I was winded, and I thought, 'This is quite weird.'. Then, during the chanko, Enho, who dislikes white rice, said, 'Today's rice smells off.' and I asked, 'What, this?'. I sniffed the rice and smelled nothing at all, and that's when it hit me.' The Yokozuna spent 9 days in isolation at the hospital, spending most of his time reading, but said, 'If I had to stay any longer I would have gone insane. It got to the point where if I had trash to throw away I was happy.' He was released mid-Hatsu basho, but did not start training until only last week, saying, 'Not practicing for a long time means my old injuries are starting to bug me again as the muscles I've build to prevent this has loosened.'. He is still unsure about combination practice, noting, 'If my body and mind will sync up, I will enter the practice. I want to practice with sekitori as well.' Finally, Hakuho notes that this is the first time he spent his birthday in Tokyo for over 10 years - the last time being the Great Tohoku Earthquake. 

bnz2HeG.png

Butsugari with Enho, but who is the new guy at the back? (Eh?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

He did this in the heya. Here is some news that isn't yet on this forum, like Hakuho's first interview since he was discharged from the hospital, according to Nikkan Sports

'To prepare for Hatsu, I intended to do at least 20 bouts a day. However, after 10, I was winded, and I thought, 'This is quite weird.'. Then, during the chanko, Enho, who dislikes white rice, said, 'Today's rice smells off.' and I asked, 'What, this?'. I sniffed the rice and smelled nothing at all, and that's when it hit me.' The Yokozuna spent 9 days in isolation at the hospital, spending most of his time reading, but said, 'If I had to stay any longer I would have gone insane. It got to the point where if I had trash to throw away I was happy.' He was released mid-Hatsu basho, but did not start training until only last week, saying, 'Not practicing for a long time means my old injuries are starting to bug me again as the muscles I've build to prevent this has loosened.'. He is still unsure about combination practice, noting, 'If my body and mind will sync up, I will enter the practice. I want to practice with sekitori as well.' Finally, Hakuho notes that this is the first time he spent his birthday in Tokyo for over 10 years - the last time being the Great Tohoku Earthquake. 

bnz2HeG.png

Is it possibly Ishii (left) and Takemura (middle)?

15 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Is it possibly Ishii (left) and Takemura (middle)?

Couldn't be Ishii, he's almost 2m tall and would be much taller than Takemaru or the similarly named Tokimaru. And also, although I do not think he has a topknot just yet, Ishii's hair should be a lot longer than that. Mysterious new deshi is probably 180cm at most. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

bnz2HeG.png

It actually was, on a different thread..

Edited by Kintamayama

Of the 12 sekitori who started out, only 8 showed up today, causing Kakuryuu to yet again complain about the low number of participants, while not doing any sumo. He lent his chest for 20 minutes to Wakatakakage, Ounoshou and Kiribayama.. Wakatakakage, Wakamotoharu and Azumaryuu joined the forces today, while Asanoyama, Takayasu, Mitakeumi and 4 others were missing. Hakuhou, who promised to show up, did not. "Well, not many people around.. I planned on facing Asanoyama today, but.. Getting into the dohyo is the important thing, right?" said Kakuryuu. "My condition is much, much better, but I still need to go about stuff carefully..I want to do all I am capable of at this point and give it may all during these sessions," he summed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did find the accompanying photo to the Nikkan article and his comments very hilarious: 

CoXByNr.png

He also seemed to enjoy torturing poor Onosho: 

MGFhjiZ.png

• Like 2

On 21/02/2021 at 20:33, pricklypomegranate said:

Terunofuji responded extremely well to butsugari today as Aminishiki complained, "Ah! My chest...". It's not often you see the butsugari giver injured. But let it be known that Isegahama does (kawaii]gari.

Receiver. Literally the name for it.

1 hour ago, John Gunning said:

Receiver. Literally the name for it.

I can't read Japanese, and it always seemed to be that the one lender the chest is the giver as he gives the opportunity to do so. Thank you and I fixed it. 

Wakatakakage joined the gang today together with his brother. He faced Kiribayama, Ounoshou and others and went 5-6 (5-7, say other sources). He is recovering from the virus and sat out last basho together with his whole Arashio beya.. "I ran a fever of 40 degrees and lost my sense of  smell for about two weeks. I still have difficulty breathing, but other than that, no after-effects. It's a really scary illness, I tell you. I just want to regain my stamina.." he added. He plans to come tomorrow too. "It's not that we have a lot of opportunities to face rikishi from other heyas.." he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hakuhou arrived for the session today and  faced Wakatakakage for 30 bouts, winning them all. Used a lot of uwatenage and did his experimental yobimodoshi he sometimes uses on lower-ranked rikishi in training and even some tsuridashi. "I've got things I need to deal with It's also a good thing to change the atmosphere. I know this guy has power so I was curious to see what he's got (you mean other than the virus and its after-effects he's still dealing with?).  I mounted the dohyo planning to do 20 bouts, but when I reached that number, I decided to maybe try ten more.. First step, defensive attack, keeping a distance, using some pushing thrusting- I tried to see how they all felt.. I'm aiming for back to back Haru yushos!" he explained.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Apologies for the sporadic posting - I am rather busy with uni work but now have some time to do the digest, so here it is: 

Eu_C7dZVoAU56q8?format=jpg&name=small

Wakatakakage unfortunately was the victim of a Hakuho yobimodoshi today, as reported by @Kintamayama.

Eu_CZ8vVoAMx6H0?format=jpg&name=360x360

The Yokozuna seemed to take the young Wakatakakage by surprised, as he looks a little flustered by Hakuho's attempt to establish a grip. 

Eu_CTUUVkAAFT1Y?format=jpg&name=360x360

He looked even more tired and resigned when the Yokozuna forced him out of the ring. 

Eu_CYr5UYAIPCgt?format=jpg&name=360x360

However, he was not defeated in spirit and gave the Yokozuna his all in butsugari. 

Eu_AfKsVEAM9gax?format=jpg&name=360x360

In other news, Onosho locks up the arm of Kiribayama, in an attempt to subvert his belt game and push him forward. 

Eu_AlSNVkAMkppd?format=jpg&name=360x360

Kiribayama was brave and faced the king of keiko so far, Takayasu, whilst others watch on. 

Eu_AsBKVEAEnca-?format=jpg&name=360x360

No more Mr Nice Guy as Takayasu dispenses a harite at his aite. 

Eu_AufiVoAAY621?format=jpg&name=360x360

And in a twist of fate, Kiribayama locks up his opponent's arm - looks like Wakatakakage, but not sure. 

Eu-ncCEXIAA7nQU?format=jpg&name=small

I'm sorry Sport Hochi, but this is not a smiling face. 

Eu_DetmUcAMy79Q?format=jpg&name=small

This is a smiling face. Of a positively buoyant Hakuho. Let's see if he holds up to stronger opposition... 

Eu_DnJuVoAAVlIc?format=jpg&name=small

The following is a better example of a rikishi not smiling, especially after being beaten 30 times in a row. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

“I’m truly thankful for being called out today by the Yokozuna. I just went out there and gave it all I got. I will be aiming for a kachikoshi and will properly train to that end...” said Wakatakakage.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Bonus

Video, video, we want video! Here are some of Hakuho's matches against Wakatakakage, posted on an Instagram page. 

A further gem in the feed is a picture of all of Hakuho's notebooks. Your Half Blood Prince moment is here, sirs/madams... 

RTgugP6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Hakuho v. Onosho, 20 - 10. Well done Onosho! When he's on, he's on. Let's here what he has to say, from Source 1 and Source 2

pBaMADk.png

Onosho, positively beaming, said, 'I fought with gratitude. When I practiced, I only wanted to hit firmly. There are no other sekitori in my heya. I'm the only one, so it's very different meeting sekitori this way and I practiced well today. I'm really happy. I hope that leading up to the basho, I can switch my mind up like I did today. I feel I would be able to go more places. It's been a long time since I've been a sanyaku member, since Kyushu 2017. I'm very excited to get back up, but I'm not impatient. Today was fun! I am grateful and happy. I only have positive feelings.' 

Meanwhile, Hakuho had a more gloomy outlook, 'I was able to push Onosho and gain good practice. However, my sumo wrestling is still dull, I can't seem to escape or put pressure where I want to. That's my failure. By the way, I think it's wonderful that Onosho responded well today. I laughed bitterly [during the practice] for myself. I initially didn't think I could practice. I changed the atmosphere and environment of the special combo practice and enjoyed it. My body was warming up and I decided to do a few bouts. I'm glad I came.' 

However, Onosho cannot be the happiest man in the Kokugikan, or sumo in general, as the title goes to Yutakayama today, who welcomed his first child. The Google Translate there is a bit of a puzzle, so I leave @Kintamayama to it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Ichinojou faced Wakatakakage and Kiribayama today and was 13-3. “It’s far better facing other sekitori than training at home, “ he said. Today was the last day of the Kyokai keiko. Ichinojou missed day four but was there all other days. “These are Corona days so there is no other way to face other sekitori in training. I just want to benefit from this, is how I see it. I intend  to get my kachikoshi and keep climbing upwards..” he summed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the sumo digest for today. 

Kiribayama starts off strong with the Kokugikan's rusty dumbbells. 

EvD7pEVVIAQ3k9_?format=jpg&name=small

Azumaryu, making his first and final appearance at this combination practice - a very rare sight.

EvD7tj2VkAIfQa4?format=jpg&name=small

Generous Nishikigi lends his chest for Makushita butsugari. 

EvD8LHrVEAMSQNv?format=jpg&name=small

Ichinojo joins in with the giving spirit: 

EvD8OBoVcAIdFKL?format=jpg&name=360x360

Wakatakakage continued to struggle today against Onosho, with only a right hand grip and an extremely bladed stance. 

EvD8pTGUcAA2ocx?format=jpg&name=360x360

Onosho continued to work hard today, giving Takayasu a nodowa and a hard time. 

EvD-d20VkAMjJkP?format=jpg&name=360x360

It's a fierce belt battle with Kiribayama against Nishikigi, with neither wanting to allow the other to establish a grip. 

EvD-g1BWQAAheVU?format=jpg&name=360x360

Good job Onosho! He fought many bouts before meeting the Yokozuna, and must have had great stamina and skill to win 1 in 3 bouts today. He seems to be struggling here, but Hakuho seems to be on the ropes as well. 

EvD_CglUcAIpOUK?format=jpg&name=360x360

However, he did not fare so well here, with Hakuho managing to get him off balance. 

EvD--yBVoAIYVTk?format=jpg&name=360x360

Despite his good score, Onosho continued giving his best with Hakuho's trademark after bout butsugari. 

EvD_FRjUYAINQDc?format=jpg&name=360x360

As said before, I reserve greatest congratulations to Yutakayama for his newborn baby boy. He struggled hard against Shodai today, as you can see in the link in my previous post, but at least he is rewarded by the sight of his son when he goes back home. 

It's going to be rather quiet now until shoinichi... see you all regularly then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takayasu faced Ounoshou and Wakatakakage for 10 bouts and won nine. "I was able to patiently do good keiko. I feel I am building my body at my own pace," he said. He has gone 10-5, 10-5, 8-7 and 9-6 in his last four bashos. "I'm getting better each basho. Last basho I had nine wins so I want to achieve double-digit wins next basho. I'd like to do properly well this basho, and if that bears fruit (and leads to an Ozeki promotion) that would be grand," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

However, Onosho cannot be the happiest man in the Kokugikan, or sumo in general, as the title goes to Yutakayama today, who welcomed his first child. The Google Translate there is a bit of a puzzle, so I leave @Kintamayama to it

Actually, his first born son  was born back in October. He weighed 2500 grams, while Yutakayama weighed 4500 grams at birth, so he kind of was worried at that time that his kid was lacking in something. "It turned out that was total nonsense.." he said as the boy now weighs 7 kilos so all is well. After the birth of his child, he now  feels he wants his active years to go on as much as possible. When he first entered sumo he felt he didn't mind when it ended. "I'm getting greedy.." he said. At home he takes turns taking care of the kid, cooking, bathing and all. Then a lengthy talk of being an ikumen,  a man who enjoys child-rearing. There is a negative connotation that comes with that word in Japan. A stay at home dad. "I don't like that word, and it may annoy my wife since she's there as well. I'm pretty sure if there was no virus it wouldn't have happened, as I wouldn't be at home so much. but as it happened, it is what it is.." he said, mostly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Actually, his first born son  was born back in October. He weighed 2500 grams, while Yutakayama weighed 4500 grams at birth, so he kind of was worried at that time that his kid was lacking in something. "It turned out that was total nonsense.." he said as the boy now weighs 7 kilos so all is well. After the birth of his child, he now  feels he wants his active years to go on as much as possible. When he first entered sumo he felt he didn't mind when it ended. "I'm getting greedy.." he said. At home he takes turns taking care of the kid, cooking, bathing and all. Then a lengthy talk of being an ikumen,  a man who enjoys child-rearing. There is a negative connotation that comes with that word in Japan. A stay at home dad. "I don't like that word, and it may annoy my wife since she's there as well. I'm pretty sure if there was no virus it wouldn't have happened, as I wouldn't be at home so much. but as it happened, it is what it is.." he said, mostly.

Thanks, that’s probably why I couldn’t make sense of it.