Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Special Kyokai training before Haru

There will be six days of training again, end of February, no fixed date yet.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hope the sessions are streamed again. That was very interesting to watch last time around. 

• Like 2

February 20th to the 25th. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Taking part: 15 sekitori and 20 makushita

makuuchi:

Hakuho (later half only/23rd-25th), Kakuryu, Asanoyama, Mitakeumi, Takayasu, Wakatakakage, Onosho, Meisei, Kiribayama, Ichinojo, Hoshoryu

juryo:

Ishiura, Wakamotoharu, Nishikigi, Oho (still juryo this month)

http://hochi.news/articles/20210219-OHT1T50205.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takayasu did well as he always does in these sessions, going 14-1, facing Meisei and Houshouryuu and Ouhou and Nishikigi from Juryo. "I had the sumo I wanted to do in mind and I think I did well today. Sumo with patience and perseverance. I had my objective and I fulfilled it, so I'm satisfied," he said. His first born daughter was born a few days ago. "The feeling that I can't retire just yet has become stronger. For my family's sake,  I'd like to go all out and show my best. I want to be a father that my daughter and family can be proud of, so I will gambarize properly, " he said. He has yet to meet his daughter, BTW.  "I haven't met her but I heard her voice through the telephone and then I saw her face. Now I'm a believer.   I'm dying to meet her, " he added.

202102200000331-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Asanoyama had 11 bouts against Ounoshou and Meisei and was 8-3.  "They are from my generation and I am slated to face them next basho. I felt we should work hard together so I called them out," he said. "My sumo was sloppy, as I was being pushed around by my opponents. I realized that I had trouble getting my right hand grip. It was a chance to train with guys you can't train with these days on a daily basis. I want to gambarize and train properly while doing my best to avoid injuries," he summed. After the session he was called by Kasugano Oyakata who gave him some wisdom. "He gave me all sorts of advice and I will try to keep his words in mind properly," he summed.

202102200000347-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ailing Yokozuna Kakuryuu faced Mitakeumi for 16 bouts and guess what?? He won them all!! "I just wanted to face someone I've faced before, if it was possible..At this point, I think it wasn't bad. As for my back, until now I have been doing well and I hope I can continue like this. It's been a while since I faced anyone other than Kiribayama.. Since before Nagoya basho.." he said. He intends to participate in all of the six days. "It's only day 1, but so far so good..If the number of participants  decreases as we move along I don't know what will happen, but my goal is to face as many guys  I'm likely to meet next basho as possible. Now that I'm more or less healthy, I just need to get my ring-sense back.." he summed.. 

20210220-OHT1I50113-L.jpg

20210220s00005000212000p_view.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 5

Impressive stuff from Asanoyama and Takayasu, getting "gambarize" and "properly" in the same sentence. Kakuryu's cliche work is understandably still a bit rusty.

• Haha 3

Here's all the participants for today's degeiko, including the Makushita-level folks since it was asked for the last time:

EupZVlGUUAAMxBA?format=jpg&name=small

Row 1 (L to R): Hoshoryu, Meisei, Onosho, Oho, Ishiura, Nishikigi, Kakuryu, Asanoyama, Takayasu, Ichinojo, Kiribayama, Hokuseiho 

Row 2 (L to R): Narutaki, Roga, Kaisejio, Kirinofuji, Mitakeumi, Yuki (the mysterious flexer), Oshoryu, Wakayama, Tsukahara, Tochikodai, Mudoho 

Here are some photos showing how degeiko went down: 

Takayasu gives his very tough butsukari to Oho: 

EupZFPpUYAAbpaC?format=jpg&name=small

Takayasu also did well against Meisei, thrusting and making him lose his balance on the dohyo: 

EupY33MUUAM3mBz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Oho seemed to have a hard time in degeiko, as Hoshoryu managed to twist him right off his feet:

EupYBm_U4AA1dJv?format=jpg&name=small

However, it wasn't all bad for Oho - he seemed to have better success against his Makushita competitors, whom he may face next basho:

EupXmMRVoAIhyXr?format=jpg&name=360x360

Ishiura continued practicing against the Makushita rikishi, as he had done in the previous degeiko. However, he continued to struggle too, like the last time. 

EupXkiUUUAMxioy?format=jpg&name=360x360

Speaking of Miyagino-beya rikishi, Hokuseiho also participated today, but seemed to allow his aite to get the double inside grip. He definitely needs to work on his technique. 

EupXbItUYAApqmd?format=jpg&name=small

The Kyokai seems enamoured by the young phenom, saying, '192cm Ichinojo looks small compared to 200cm Hokuseiho." 

EupYJnkUYAcrVv5?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"I haven't met her but I heard her voice through the telephone and then I saw her face. Now I'm a believer.   I'm dying to meet her, " he added.

Just for the archive's sake, is that your first Monkees reference?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Just for the archive's sake, is that your first Monkees reference?

Who can remember?  

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Who can remember?  

Wow, Mike Nesmith really looks different without his hat.... 

• Like 1

Michael Nesmith is currently 78; this guy looks like the lead for a Monkees tribute band -- and he's playing Peter Tork's bass.

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Michael Nesmith is currently 78; this guy looks like the lead for a Monkees tribute band -- and he's playing Peter Tork's bass.

And is more good looking. And it’s not a Monkees tribute band, it’s a Sixties tribute band, something rare in certain territories.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Here are the results for today's special practice:

bvwP2gM.png

MLYPTNf.png

Additional Note: Hokuseiho v. Makushita (12 - 9), Hokuseiho v. Hoshoryu (1 - 2). Total bouts for combination practice: 218. 

General Comments
There might be some minor errors to this data as the stream quality drops out and I struggle to identify the rikishi. Hokuseiho performed adequately against the Makushita, but I think Jokoryu's record is staying and he'll have to wait a few more basho for sekitori promotion. Despite Hanakago's teaching, Hokuseiho's tachiai and centre of gravity in general is just way too high, even accounting for his height. Thus he struggles a lot, especially against pusher-thrusters. There was an excellent pusher-thruster that caught my eye too, but I don't recognise him. I suspect that he is attempting to use his long reach and grab his aite's mawashi before the impact, but it has given him moderate success. Hakuho has one of the best tachiai in the business, but even if Hokuseiho masters Kotooshu's technique, he'll do extremely well.

Hokuseiho also has a penchant for wardrobe malfunctions. Wonder why is that? 

My special mentions amongst the sekitori were Meisei, who demonstrated great fighting spirit and thrusting ability, as well as mawashi tactics. He and Hoshoryu fought the most bouts today, but Meisei fought harder opponents and had a better winning percentage. Ichinojo leveraged his size, bulk and strength excellently today, managing to force or crush out most of his opponents. Takayasu looked immovable today, but might end up the next Goeido as he is often unable to translate this sucess in honbasho. Lastly, I would really like to commend Asanoyama. He is right in saying he struggles to get a grip - he did not seem to have a grip, or a firm one in many of the matches, but is showing greater diversity and skill in his bouts, and one can definitely see it in his winning percentage. 

Strugglers, as you can see, are Onosho, who seemed to lose his balance or run out of steam in his thusts. Worst performer today for me was Mitakeumi, but he is very well-known for not doing well in keiko, so we'll just have to see in Haru. 

Kakuryu didn't fight anyone by Mitakeumi yesterday, and he did so again today. I feel like he should definitely expand his choice of opponents, even though there are fewer palatable ones this round than the last. I don't really know what to make of his comment last degeiko. Perhaps he is just trying to regain his confidence before taking on higher ranked and skilled opponents, or perhaps even Hakuho on Day 4...  

• Thanks 12

4 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

/MLYPTNf.png

Showing my ignorance here, what's the context for the +1 with Hoshoryu?

Just now, Houmanumi said:

Showing my ignorance here, what's the context for the +1 with Hoshoryu?

Ah, as stated in my last breakdown, (+1) means I am not sure who won the bout, but I think it's Hoshoryu. They crashed into the surrounding Makushita crowd, so I couldn't make a definite decision. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Ah, as stated in my last breakdown, (+1) means I am not sure who won the bout, but I think it's Hoshoryu. They crashed into the surrounding Makushita crowd, so I couldn't make a definite decision. 

No video booth?

15 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

No video booth?

Hoshoryu and the Makushita guy crashed into the Makushita crowd, who subsequently all asked Hoshoryu to pick them. It was very close and I couldn't see who stepped out first. Hoshoryu continued, so I assumed he was the one who won. The video quality went potato, and it hasn't made things easier. 

Here is the photo digest today: 

Euu-LkLVkAEgRL7?format=jpg&name=360x360

Mitakeumi continued struggling against Kakuryu today, with a 29 renpai against the Yokozuna. 

Euu-NlsVoAEPyhY?format=jpg&name=360x360

Nevertheless, he was not disheartened and responded very well to Kakuryu's butsugari. 

Euu9ybDVoAAXMNT?format=jpg&name=small

Mitakeumi also struggled against Asanoyama today, with no wins against the Ozeki. Asanoyama has the right grip here, but not his favoured left. The bandages on the hands are also quite concerning. 

Euu9CaWVkAMQBpQ?format=jpg&name=small

Kakuryu took the time to give Hoshoryu some advice about gripping the mawashi. It does seem like they are having class in heaven. 

Euu7sQ2VoAIt324?format=jpg&name=360x360

Euu8pl-VcAQ4flI?format=jpg&name=360x360

Nodowas are the name of the game here for Onosho and Kiribayama. Unfortunately, Ichinojo could not look less phased. Onosho did not experience substantial success today, perhaps better luck tomorrow. 

Euu8rMMVEAM-RPx?format=jpg&name=360x360

Mitakeumi and Kiribayama, "That doesn't look good." 

Ichinojo, "How interesting..." 

Ishiura, "Are you guys done yet?!" 

Speaking of Ishiura, this news article talks about changing his secondary name to Shiganosuke to reframe his mindset and start anew in Haru. Of course, folks already knew that - but the Japanese don't seemed to take it very well as they felt it was inauspicious. Shiganosuke, the military commander, was betrayed by Nobunaga and executed, though he left behind extensive and influential literature. Perhaps foreshadowing something? Anyways, he stated, "I've originally like the commander. He said something I find very profound, "Give me seven hardships." At 31, the people around me are starting to talk [about intai]. I want to continue doing what I want to do. I can confirm that the Yokozuna Hakuho will be present. Enho seemed to have hurt his back, and I came to the practice." 

Euu6tmfU4AAo40K?format=jpg&name=small

Takayasu continued giving his feared butsugari to a Makushita rikishi - I'm sure they responded as best they could. And speaking of butsugari... 

Bonus

EuuEd8SUUAIQ1Id?format=jpg&name=small

Terunofuji responded extremely well to butsugari today as Aminishiki complained, "Ah! My chest...". It's not often you see the butsugari receiver injured. But let it be known that Isegahama does (kawaii]gari.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Meisei did very well today, according to everyone.  9-12 against the sekitori. "The best thing about it was being able to face the Ozeki (five bouts)," he said. He left his heya at 6:00 am in order to arrive on time at the venue. He does have Houshouryuu and Akua at his heya, but " I need to check out how strong the joi guys are and the only way to find out is by facing them," he said, setting out to meet the Yokozunae and the general sanyaku republic. "I have decided to do at least 15 bouts a day. I hope I can do better as we move along.." he added.  He started out pretty well in Makuuchi back in 2018 and reached west 2, only to get injured and dropped to Juryo for a single basho., He is on a three basho kachikoshi streak since returning last September. "I am steadily able to return to my form from before the injury. I want to become a rikishi who wants to quickly break his career high record and make sanyaku and higher..I want to seriously learn  how to improve all aspects of my sumo as I attempt to reach my goal," he summed. Strong words, if I Meisei so myself.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Terunofuji responded extremely well to butsugari today

Cripes, he's got elbow pads now, too!  Perhaps he will soon have to negotiate with ex-Takamisakari for the title "Robocop", although I still like the Darth Vader meme.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Cripes, he's got elbow pads now, too!  Perhaps he will soon have to negotiate with ex-Takamisakari for the title "Robocop", although I still like the Darth Vader meme.

The elbow pads are to distract attention from his knees. Or maybe it's that his elbows are genuinely knackered and it's a double bluff. If the bluffing moves any level above that we are in Jedi territory.