Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Haru 2021

Asanoyama started training today. Fundamentals and butsugari. "At my banzuke position, I should be aiming for the yusho. I have to remind myself that I have to get a good result all the time. These hiramaku yushos make the banzuke meaningless. As the top guys, getting the yusho goes without saying. I have to show good results!!" he said, emphatically. "I really wanted the Haru basho to be held in Osaka. Too bad.. It's an emergency situation so there is nothing to be done about that. if I do my own sumo properly at the Kokugikan I think the fans will be happy," he added. He was able to go out dining a lot during the one-week hiatus he had. "It's been a while and I enjoyed it thoroughly.. I have to be involved in the yusho race. I will be aiming for that!" he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kakuryuu has started training for the basho, a critical juncture for sure. Fundamentals. "Only he knows his real condition, but he can only give it all he has and prepare. I think he knows he needs to come up with a good record in Haru," said Michinoku Oyakata.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Kakuryuu has started training for the basho, a critical juncture for sure. Fundamentals. "Only he knows his real condition, but he can only give it all he has and prepare. I think he knows he needs to come up with a good record in Haru," said Michinoku Oyakata.

"Déjà vu" ?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Oh, yeah.

Kakuryu.

That's his name.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Oh, yeah.

Kakuryu.

That's his name.

That hit them all for me: (Laughing...)(Blinking...):-((Firstprize...)

Still waiting for "Natsu will be do or die for him" xD

Edited by Seregost
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Seregost said:

Once again, Japanese sports press failing to get the important stories.  Here it is Feb. 1st and we still don't know the level to which he will gambarize.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Seregost said:

I didn't realize just how much I'm missing the now-cancelled YDC meeting to vaguely threaten the yokozunae to show up or... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dingo said:

I didn't realize just how much I'm missing the now-cancelled YDC meeting to vaguely threaten the yokozunae to show up or... 

Do these groups do Zoom meetings or something similar?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Do these groups do Zoom meetings or something similar?

I'm not sure they even know what a computer is at their age, not mentioning Zoom. I wouldn't be surprised. Remember the 80-something IT minister not so long ago who had never used a computer in his life. 

Kadoban Takakeishou started training today, fundamentally. His injured left ankle? "It's not 100% yet but I'm hoping to be able to do the fundamentals," he explained. No butsugari abilities yet. He was injured on day three against Hokutofuji. "I entered a viscious cycle after that.. I've had ankle injuries a few times before.." he added. After the injury he watched the rest of the basho on TV. "I'm just thinking I should heal quickly and build my body ASAP. I wasn't thinking about the fact that the others are doing sumo and I'm not. Daieishou? I think he is strong, so he got the yusho.." he said. Was he nervous because it was a tsuna-tori basho? "No, nothing different from the basho before that. You lose because you are weak. If you are strong, you win. I've got to get much stronger. When you have true strength, you win. If you lose, it means you lack it.." he retorted. As for the March basho being held in Tokyo: "Osaka is my home town and I was expecting a lot of support from the fans out there. It could have been a good turning point for me so it's too bad we won't be going there.."  Weight problems, going from 170 to 183 kilos lately? "I'll go with whatever suits my needs. For now, I hope to be able to do the fundamentals while healing my injury," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Source: https://this.kiji.is/729272497220681728

Miyagino Oyakata revealed Hakuho started training on January 24th after being diagnosed with COVID-19 on January 5 and extended convalescence at home. He is currently doing shiko and strength training and exercises alone, just in case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Seregost said:

Channeling my inner Kintamayama: Natsu fast, there are many other tournaments he can aim for!

Seriously though, I hope we're getting some movement on this whole ordeal in March, one way or another. Even Kisenosato didn't go four straight tournaments without at least attempting to compete (for what little those attempts actually did for him in the end, admittedly).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

As long as there aren't flocks of owls with letters, laying siege to the heya, he has nothing to fear.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

As long as there aren't flocks of owls with letters, laying siege to the heya, he has nothing to fear.

Or Dobby warning "the YDC has been resurrected, and is planning to re-open the Chamber of Intai!"

• Haha 5

Shoudai continues to train as usual regardless of Oyakata problems. Fundamentals, under the watchful eyes of said Oyakata and coaches. "The atmosphere at the heya has settled down after the initial uproar and the talk the Oyakata gave to us. When the news broke the whole heya was nervous but now we are able to settle down and train as usual. I think we are fine at present. I don't know what the future holds for us -  all we can do is wait for the Kyokai's decision. I wouldn't say everyone's spirits are high in the aftermath, but business is as usual.." he explained. "The place I'd like to visit when I can is Meiji Shrine. I've promised my tsukebitos we will go there. I've only been there for the Yokozuna dohyo-iri.. They said they would love it, but we haven't gone there yet.." he added. The next basho should see both Yokozunae participating. "Are you looking forward to that? " he was asked. "No way.. I'm not looking forward to that, but I'd like to do my best.." he summed.

Edit: Asked if will participate in the Kyokai's training sessions: "If possible, I think I would like to participate.. " he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 02/02/2021 at 04:06, dingo said:

I'm not sure they even know what a computer is at their age, not mentioning Zoom. I wouldn't be surprised. Remember the 80-something IT minister not so long ago who had never used a computer in his life. 

I had a similar thought. That would be placing a huge burden on the grandchildren, what with setting up grandpa’s microphone, helping him log in,  answering all those “Can they see me now?” questions, etc.

• Like 1

Asanoyama has started real training yesterday, after doing the fundamentals and butsugari since February 1st, having about 15 bouts against the lower rankers of the heya. "It's been about two weeks since I last stepped into the ring for a bout but I didn't feel anything especially lacking and I feel I haven't lost my edge. I'd like to add more bouts from here on. I only have Makushita guys to train  against at the heya. The tachiai and the flow that follows are totally different (against sekitori). It's a good opportunity to face other sekitori," he said, referring to the Kyokai's special training sessions slated to begin on February 20th. He knows his problem is how he uses his head, physically. He does not crash into his opponents at the tachiai. "During a basho you face a different foe with different characteristics for 15 days. I have to think how I can approach each and every one of them to my advantage. When there is no degeiko, I need to use my head more.. My opponents don't let me get my favorite right hand grip that easily. I need to find a counter-measure when that happens, and i need to think of an attacking strategy to be able to get that grip. So as there is no degeiko, I really need to use my head.." he re-iterated. Valentine's Day is nearing and he gets a lot of presents from his fans. One fan wrote him that watching him on the dohyo gives her strength and helps her gambarize in her studies. "If my fans gambarize by watching me, I need to gambarize even more. Causing the spectators  to gambarize makes me extra happy!! All I want now is a yusho as an Ozeki!" he declared.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Kadoban Takakeishou trained today as usual, fundamentals. "I'm doing the fundamentals properly and am getting my body ready slowly but  Shirley whilst checking my ankle. As for doing sumo, I want to start as soon as my body is ready. I do not want to hurry things. I will be joining the Kyokai training session, depending on my condition. When you go makekoshi it means you're not ready. I want to do keiko and get stronger  Before last basho I felt ready but I had no ability and you could see the results..Daieshou is also a pusher/ thruster but we are different types. His yusho was a great stimulus for me," he said. His tsukebito Takakento has been promoted to Juryo and he is thrilled by that. "We've been together since we started out so I'm really happy for him. He supported me and encouraged me all the way so his promotion is great. The most important thing  now is he get his kachikoshi, so we need to work hard.." he added. OTOH, his former tsukebito Ouhou (ex-Taihou's grandson) was 5-10 in his Juryo debut basho and will be demoted to Makushita. "When you become a sekitori you need to figure out stuff on your own. You need to weather it by yourself, " he summed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

... properly ...

What's brought this on? Have I missed something?

47 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

You don't want to be doing keiko improperly, do you? (Laughing...)

I feel that the font colour should be red though... 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

You apparently missed this basho thread

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

You don't want to be doing keiko improperly, do you? (Laughing...)

Asanoyama does, apparently.

Shoudai has started doing sumo training today. He faced Makushita and under guys for about 10 bouts. He later went to the KKan for a medical examination. "I'm still lacking in stamina but I'll gradually get used to it," he said. Will he be joining the Kyokai's training sessions? "I've just started doing sumo training so I'll see what my situation will be," he answered.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Asanoyama trained today, facing Makushita Terasawa (where's my mawashi?), Asagyokusei and Fukai for 20 bouts, going 17-3. He now is doing some new training method, leaning on the wall and kicking up his feet one by one for about five minutes. "I'm trying to make my body rounder.. My body tends to rise at the tachiai. I have a large body so it stretches. So i'm trying to apply a forward-bent posture, so that I can throw myself forward" he explained. He was having some difficulty getting his favorite grip against his Makushita opponents. "I have to widen the scope of my sumo. I have to adapt according to who I'm facing. I feel I'm lacking in heart and technique. My weakest part is my heart. It's the number one cause of my losses. I want to have that in mind. When I feel I want to win, my sumo goes bad. I need to feel that I won't lose. I need to be calm and face each bout at a time and be able to do my own sumo," he said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3