Kintamayama

March basho 2021

I suspect the clock dictated no mono-ii.  The timing judge must have miscalculated, there was barely time to see them bow before the clock reached the top of the hour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I'd say that is wishful thinking.  He is currently ranked Ms56w.  Even a division yusho would not get him all the way back to Juryo.  Perhaps you meant to say "after Natsu"?  

But if he doesn't make his way back to the Makushita joi ranks on the Natsu banzuke, then the odds of a post-Natsu return to Juryo would be slim to none.  Correct me if I'm wrong about that...

If he wins 7-0, he might be promoted around Ms10-15 in May, then could be promoted again in July, reaching salaried by September. I think Aki’s what I meant, sorry. 

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Hakuho was dealing not only with ring rust, but also apparent back issues (n.b., two shiny patches on his shoulders – pre-bout acupuncture treatment?)

That's were the strings are attached, but don't ask me who's pulling.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

The Honey Badger absolutely mauls the Flying Monkey, with sumo that was as railroady as you could get without actually being railroady.

That tachiai botch cost him the bout. It was over the moment he accidentally knuckled down beyond the line and had to reset mentally.

24 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Not one yorikiri Juryo and upwards today.

Wow that's interesting! Extra slippery mawashi? Has it ever happened before?

Overall it was a good day 1 I think. Not so much sumo sloppyness, and some bouts were actually excellent.

32 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Has it ever happened before?

44 times in total, and with some regularity in pre-modern sumo, but the last occurrence of it not happening on day 1 of the basho was 1936! 

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&g_op==&having=0&day=1&m=on&j=on&kimarite=66

If you expand it to any basho day, the last time it happened was in 1953:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&group_by2=day&g_op==&having=0&day=1-15&m=on&j=on&kimarite=66&offset=400

That said, we had two yoritaoshi today (Yutakayama and Mitakeumi winning over Tsurugisho and Shodai respectively), so if those rikishi had stayed upright we wouldn't have this new modern record.

• Like 2

That'll be difficult to repeat tomorrow. Daiamami and Hidenoumi have met 13 times and all 13 were settled by yorikiri.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kaito said:

That'll be difficult to repeat tomorrow. Daiamami and Hidenoumi have met 13 times and all 13 were settled by yorikiri.

First time for everything... ;-)

Trivia quiz: There will happen something on day 2 which only  happened two times before. Last time in November, and first time in January 1935.

spoiler hint:

Spoiler

something to do with the third Juryo bout

10 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Trivia quiz: There will happen something on day 2 which only  happened two times before. Last time in November, and first time in January 1935.

Spoiler

Two rikishi with the same first kanji in their shikona going head to head?

20 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

spoiler hint:

Reveal hidden contents

something to do with the third Juryo bout

Spoiler

Something about NSHK? Rikishi with "Nishiki" (錦) on its shikona play each other.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=4936&b=193501

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=12351&b=202011

And on day 2 "Haru" Nishiki-gi vs Nishiki-fuji

Edited by code_number3

So, after the first day of fifteen the number of potential yusho winners has been whittled down from 42 to 2. Barring injuries or unmentionable dodginess the cup will be taken home by either Hakuho or Terunofuji.

• Sad 1

I have to say I was not disappointed by day 1. All sorts of storylines to play out and all the action to back it up!

It is very apparent that everybody that had to sit out last basho from Covid had some type of ring rust. Some were faring better than others, but it is still apparent. 

- Enho had a cool ashitori in his win today and looks to be in form so far
- Hidenoumi had a morozashi on Kaisei yet still had trouble finishing the Brazilian longer than he should have
- Tochinoshin has nothing left in that knee, he can't fight Ichinojo the same anymore
- Tamawashi got the short end of the straw, should have been a torinaoshi, but I'm sure Konosuke really gave the judges to think about. I'm almost thinking they ruled isamiashi just so that Konosuke didn't have to have a sashichigae on his record
- That was some kakenage from Meisei there! I thought Takayasu had him, but he really pulled off that move so cleanly at the end
- Wakatakakage gave Takanosho a fight there, but Takanosho looks like he's in shape and staying solid again, perhaps trying to help his stablemate out too
- Terunofuji making his opening day statement, I'm really looking forward to when he finally faces Hakuho after all these years
- Asanoyama didn't look great against Takarafuji, hopefully he can get that mental block cleared and really gain his focus back
- Mitakeumi pulling the upset against Shodai, who I think let off on the steam a little too early
- The GOAT making his opening day statement also after 4 basho out. He's got a lot of catching up to do and hopefully doesn't get himself hurt too much

Alert to the good people at sumodb: Day 2's Jonidan schedule currently (early in the morning Tokyo time on Day 2) consists of only two bouts.  I suspect something has been misentered somewhere and fooled the software.  Kyokai site has the full slate.

1 minute ago, Ichimawashi said:

Alert to the good people at sumodb: Day 2's Jonidan schedule currently (early in the morning Tokyo time on Day 2) consists of only two bouts.  I suspect something has been misentered somewhere and fooled the software.  Kyokai site has the full slate.

Try the reference update thread? 

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Try the reference update thread? 

Looks like someone already has done so.  I'm sure it will soon be fixed.

Also: NIce katasukashi win from Ura (at first glance I haven't seen anybody mentioning him)! 

He faced once Komusubi Chiyootori, who is also on a second try mode as Ura himself - Chiyootori's bottom (after an injury, I guess) was Sd 3, and since 2018 he slowly rises on the Banzuke. 

Their bout was fun to watch, and looked like an easy one for the pink guy - i my humble and very bias opinion.

Blog Post for Day 1 of Haru Basho. Aggregation of sources and links to results, articles, videos, photos (including some that link back here). Basic Kimarite statistics, time of match statistics, maegeshira v san'yaku. Geared toward beginners, but hopefully will add something. Will update day by day

Enjoy

https://jbssumo.blogspot.com/2021/03/grand-sumo-results-with-relevant-links.html

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Asapedroryu said:

Any context for non-japanese speakers? (please)

His predictions for Yusho winner has never ever hit the mark, so basically, he jinxes his pick.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rhyen said:

His predictions for Yusho winner has never ever hit the mark, so basically, he jinxes his pick.

Does he seriously have a 0% ratio for picking yusho winners?

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Does he seriously have a 0% ratio for picking yusho winners?

AFAIK, yes, 0% picking yusho winner on shonichi. If i remember it right, waka picked Takakeisho on nakabi last november (after his shonichi pick was busted) and Takakeisho yusho

correct me if i’m wrong

Edited by code_number3