Kintamayama

March basho 2021

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Another fun Terunofuji fact: Most wins in the last year going in to the last day of March 2021:

56: Terunofuji

47: Takayasu

46: Daieisho

45: Takakeisho, Shodai

43: Asanoyama

42: Mitakeumi, Takanosho, Hokutofuji

It's not even close. Hakuho is retiring this year. I think we all know the identity of the new boss.

He’s certainly doing incredibly well, having dropped only 16 bouts since returning to Makuuchi five tournaments ago, but in hindsight we can reasonably say that he picked up quite a few of those wins well below his true rank based on how he’s performed since. Those 13 wins at M17 were almost a gimme for somebody now being spoken of as the next Yokozuna.

34 minutes ago, Arn said:

Aaargh...the influence of Hiro Morita?!! I dont think I have ever heard that expresion somewhere else, but he uses it at least once in every broadcast, if not more. Soon you will start talking about running out of real estate too...

I assure you I have heard the expression countless times and didn't even ever hear it from Hiro Morita. =) 

5 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Wild and crazy final day matchups.  Despite a Juryo visitor to the top division we have three invaders from Makushita and fifteen Juryo bouts, one more than my little spreadsheet ever expected!  And what are we to make of Ms7e Ryusei (1-5-1) vs J10w Yago (3-11)?  The purpose of this match is what exactly?  Did Ryusei sleep in and someone else took the blame in order to get him an eighth try?  To decide who gets a slot at about Ms15 and who drops to Ms16?  I can't wait.

The two rikishi in Makushita left back for matches with sekitori if needed on Days 14 and 15 if there were an odd number of sekitori were not needed Day 14, and they didn't have the same record (or perhaps already fought or were in the same heya?  I'm not bothering to check), so they wouldn't normally face each other and thus both were paired up into Juryo.  With Yutakayama's kyujo though, there was an odd number of sekitori for Day 15 so they grabbed someone from Makushita who already fought their 7th match to get a bonus 8th match.  These are generally given to the makushita rikishi who is ranked the highest with 2 or fewer wins and still competing; they don't want to have someone be able to get their 4th win with this bonus match nor give anyone who might be headed to Juryo an unfair advantage of an extra match to win.  If the Makushita rikishi wins, the win is taken into consideration for the next banzuke, with a 2-6 being somewhere between a 1-6 and 2-5.  If they lose the match though, it's ignored.  Sometimes they have to go quite a ways before they find an appropriate Makushita rikishi, and the 5 kyujo rikishi in the top 5 ranks certainly didn't help this time.  The sekitori in the match is generally one that's headed to Makushita.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

The two rikishi in Makushita left back for matches with sekitori if needed on Days 14 and 15 if there were an odd number of sekitori were not needed Day 14, and they didn't have the same record (or perhaps already fought or were in the same heya?  I'm not bothering to check), so they wouldn't normally face each other and thus both were paired up into Juryo.  With Yutakayama's kyujo though, there was an odd number of sekitori for Day 15 so they grabbed someone from Makushita who already fought their 7th match to get a bonus 8th match.  These are generally given to the makushita rikishi who is ranked the highest with 2 or fewer wins and still competing; they don't want to have someone be able to get their 4th win with this bonus match nor give anyone who might be headed to Juryo an unfair advantage of an extra match to win.  If the Makushita rikishi wins, the win is taken into consideration for the next banzuke, with a 2-6 being somewhere between a 1-6 and 2-5.  If they lose the match though, it's ignored.  Sometimes they have to go quite a ways before they find an appropriate Makushita rikishi, and the 5 kyujo rikishi in the top 5 ranks certainly didn't help this time.  The sekitori in the match is generally one that's headed to Makushita.

In general, a Day 14 kyujo by a sekitori means an 8th match for someone in Makushita.  They are only ever given in other circumstances when the torikumi makers forget to leave two rikishi available to fight in Juryo on Days 14 and 15 (or else just hoping no one goes kyujo Day 13).  That happened a few years ago, and there was a 8th makushita match on Day 14 after a Day 13 sekitori kyujo.  There was also a Day 14 kyujo sekitori, so only one 8th match ended up needing to happen.

Edited by Gurowake

Wow some amazing matches, Takayasu let 2 in a row slip. Hokotufuji great foot work on the belt ? 

Takakeisho can beat Terinofuji and looking very sharp and composed.  Lets hope for a playoff. Akiseyama going way up against Diashuo for KK. Great matches for tomorrow, worth getting up early for nhk world live english coverage.

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:
1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Another fun Terunofuji fact: Most wins in the last year going in to the last day of March 2021:

56: Terunofuji

I would take this with a massive pinch of salt, because he's a man on a mission. He's already gone kyujo once in his second top division career, so to expect him to consistently deliver the same sort of rampages all the time is surely a bridge too far. I wouldn't be too surprised if he goes kyujo within the next two basho and/or turns in non-doubledigit results.

He has missed 3 matches through injury since his comeback. In the same period the three current ozeki have all missed more bouts. Terunofuji is no more injury prone than Asanoyama, Shodai and Takakeisho. Now I'm going to get a bit subjective and emotional: Terunofuji is a vastly superior wrestler to any of the current ozeki. He's bigger, stronger and technically superior to them. And he has been through fire in a way that none of them have. As John Wayne said in The Searchers "there's such a thing as a critter that'll just keep comin' on".

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

And what advice would he be giving other than "try and choke again and again and again..."? (Sigh...)

It will be more technical/practical: "Just hug him at the tachi-ai an everything will be fine. It always worked for me."

9 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

He has missed 3 matches through injury since his comeback. In the same period the three current ozeki have all missed more bouts. Terunofuji is no more injury prone than Asanoyama, Shodai and Takakeisho. Now I'm going to get a bit subjective and emotional: Terunofuji is a vastly superior wrestler to any of the current ozeki. He's bigger, stronger and technically superior to them. And he has been through fire in a way that none of them have. As John Wayne said in The Searchers "there's such a thing as a critter that'll just keep comin' on".

Only after he got his kachi koshi. I give it to you that his kyujo rate suggests he is not any more prone to injury, but the effect of any kyujo-causing injury might be disproportionately worse on him compared to the other ozeki. I also give it to you that he has been thoroughly battle-tested and gone to hell and come back, but my point is that he also had a motivation that none of the other ozeki have held as strongly - to reascend to his former rank.

Whether or not he is setting his sights on the next higher rank - Hiro Morita suggested that he was, but the question is whether he is going to go straight for it or take a little bit of a breather to slow things down in the interests of the longer term. Here is where we can agree to disagree; I think he will take the pedal off a little bit for a couple of basho. Either way, he's definitely on track for most wins this year, I think.

2 hours ago, Arn said:

Aaargh...the influence of Hiro Morita?!! I dont think I have ever heard that expresion somewhere else, but he uses it at least once in every broadcast, if not more. Soon you will start talking about running out of real estate too...

Even Stevens was around when I was a kid, and that's way before Hiro came along. I reckon it goes back a lot further, but cba to Google it right now.

I seem to remember "running out of real estate" being one of Lyall Watson's go-to's back in the 80s, and he probably got it from someone else.

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

If the Makushita rikishi wins, the win is taken into consideration for the next banzuke, with a 2-6 being somewhere between a 1-6 and 2-5.  If they lose the match though, it's ignored.

Although they might end up counting this as a regular 7th match for Ryusei here.

2 hours ago, Arn said:

I love Hiro.  His knowledge of English is very good, but he's a little halting in his delivery (of course most of the NHK TV shows are somewhat scripted). When he is announcing live, he will occasionally "lose the thread" of his thoughts and you can tell he's going for a deep dive into his store of English idioms, and sometimes he comes up with something outdated or shopworn. 

Still and all, It's refreshing to hear that Kaisei is "stepping on the gas" and Kotoshoho has "bad wheels".

Today was a prime example of why I'm not certain the Hoshoryu hype train is actually going anywhere. More like No-show-ryu against Daimami...

---

Takayasu just looked bewildered when he saw where the gunbai was pointing. Poor bugger, talk about choking... Tobizaru continues to impress with his table-turning victories.

---

Who'd have thought Shodai and Takakeisho would have their current tallies after the first few days? Takakeisho technically in the hunt for the yusho, and Shodai on the verge of going kadoban again - what? Tbh, it looks like NTNO Shodai has made a comeback.

---

Pre-injury Terunofuji was a yokozuna in waiting, just a basho or two from the rope. Then he wasn't.
After all the early mismanagement of his injuries, I'm flabbergasted how much use he's getting out of his no-knees knees now! Asanoyama looked to be giving it his very best shot, but Terunofuji's bionic knees weathered the storm of a full-on beast-mode battle. 
Surely they can't take much more of that, can they? I'd be delighted to be proved wrong again, but I'm too sceptical to think he's got anything other than a very limited time remaining, no matter what rank he achieves.

34 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I love Hiro.  His knowledge of English is very good, but he's a little halting in his delivery (of course most of the NHK TV shows are somewhat scripted). When he is announcing live, he will occasionally "lose the thread" of his thoughts and you can tell he's going for a deep dive into his store of English idioms, and sometimes he comes up with something outdated or shopworn. 

Still and all, It's refreshing to hear that Kaisei is "stepping on the gas" and Kotoshoho has "bad wheels".

The frustrating and amazing thing about Hiro is that he comes up with these slightly off idioms ('taking care of HIS business' is one of my personal favorites, even if BTO would have a musical problem with it....) with such an amazing propensity, that one can hardly appreciate a single one before the air is filled with five or six more.  On Day 14 I had a half dozen examples in my eardrums before the judges arrived to begin the Makuuchi day.  One laugh this basho was a few days ago when NHK threw him a sudden curveball and posted the NHK Sumo Twitter ad without the usual random photo of Kitanofuji, instead featuring Enho.  This caused a rare five seconds of silence from Hiro, who had showered Kitanofujisan with praise, the way the former VP talked about the former POTUS, on his previous stint when the ad came onscreen with Kitanofuji's mug.  Finally, he stammered "Is ... is that Enho?"  :)

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:
39 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

The frustrating and amazing thing about Hiro is that he comes up with these slightly off idioms ('taking care of HIS business' is one of my personal favorites, even if BTO would have a musical problem with it....) with such an amazing propensity, that one can hardly appreciate a single one before the air is filled with five or six more.  On Day 14 I had a half dozen examples in my eardrums before the judges arrived to begin the Makuuchi day. 

You've put your finger on it. His enthusiasm is irreproachable, but to someone whose first language is English to a fairly high degree of competency, hearing these slightly off idioms is quite distracting.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Pre-injury Terunofuji was a yokozuna in waiting, just a basho or two from the rope. Then he wasn't.
After all the early mismanagement of his injuries, I'm flabbergasted how much use he's getting out of his no-knees knees now! A

He has managed to do some impressive sideways movement and heavy lifting with those knees, leading me to believe they may have recovered better than many have feared. They probably still have their weak spots and the wrong kind of turn could end his career, bu the is doind his style of sumo. He's not done yet.

25 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

You've put your finger on it. His enthusiasm is irreproachable, but to someone whose first language is English to a fairly high degree of competency, hearing these slightly off idioms is quite distracting.

You don´t have to be a native speaker to be disturbed, being used to American or English sports commentators is sufficient.

Edited by Gospodin
clarification

The terrible thing watching Takaysu lose the last 2 days is his total lack of  trusting in himself. At least Wakatakakage managed to avoid letting Takaysu get close to him but Takaysu had his arm at least once and he should have put him away as easily as Aoiyama did. Tobizaru is just a silly loss. Once Takayasu had him chest to chest it should have been over. He made one feeble attempt at a throw and when it didn't work he just tried to push Tobizaru out at any cost. The worst idea possible as making magic at the bales is what guys like Tobizaru live off of. A better rikishi, like Haukho or Kakuryu (even Takaysu of a while back) would have shook their butts a little to get their opponent more unbalanced and tried another throw, and again, till they went. It's just sad to watch.  Probably everybody watching made the same expression as Kisenosato. 

Absolutely fantastic basho, one of the best in recent memory I can remember. Full of twists and turns. My man Aoiyama has quietly maneuvered himself into playoff contention, though he has it all to do vs Takayasu. And I feel quite bad for the latter, what a great, great bout vs Tobizaru.

For my money Terunofuji vs Takakeisho tomorrow is one of the biggest bouts we've had recently. The basho is on the line and it feels it will determine who is the top rikishi in sumo right now. Fuji deserves to be an ozeki again but beating all 3 ozeki and winning the basho will make him the top dog for sure I think. While of Takakeisho pulls out two wins tomorrow I think that despite recent setbacks he will prove he is still the most likely prospect for next yokozuna.

All on the line!

28 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

You are correct... and not only did I list wrong basho, I also named it wrong. It wasn't Nagoya 1996, it was Kyushu 1996 where those five fought in playoffs. In any case, having more then two rikishi in playoffs is rather rare event for Makuuchi

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=basho&having=3&form1_yd=on&form1_m=on

Edited by Ripe

Let's say, for the sake of argument that the March Tournament ends with a 11-4 yusho result in the Top Division.  By Makuuchi standards, that is sub-standard, but from the viewpoint of drama, we would have ourselves an exciting finish.  A Terunofuji regulation win would cancel the need for a playoff, but then the yusho result would end up being 12-3...  So I am kind of hoping for a juicy ketteisen.  I'll even take @Highway's man, Aoiyama, but somehow, I want Takayasu to have one last chance to redeem himself.

But what I also love about this tournament is what's going on down in Juryo.  I have to say last tournament's Juryo championship concluded in an altogether unsatisfactory fashion (fusensho yusho [gimme championship] for Tsurugisho!  Really?). This tournament we have two wrestlers who have been stalled in Juryo for some time, and are possibly on the verge of a breakthrough moment.  Fan-not-so-favourite Takagenji will go up against Ura in a showdown between brute power and speedy technique, although Ura's ability to bring his A game is hampered by the fact that he is fighting injured.  Then we'll see Hakuyozan mix it up with Chiyomaru, who was leading the pack until the wheels came off his momentum on day 13.  Both Takagenji and Hakuyozan are tall-big and young relative to their respective opponents (i.e., 191cm/23yo and 186cm/25yo respectively).  

My preference is to see them end up having to face each other in a playoff to prove who really deserves the championship.  Interestingly, they have both already met on the first day of this tournament, and ... Hakuyozan was the winner by oshidashi.  I'm not certain whether lightning will strike twice if they do end up in a playoff, but Hakuyozan is definitely looking strong.  Whatever the case, a potential final showdown between the two would be so much more satisfying than ... January's fusensho yusho!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I hope Araiso gives him some good advice about getting into the right headspace.

This is unintentionally amusing.

1 minute ago, Reonito said:

This is unintentionally amusing.

Well, at least how to avoid the wrong headspace....

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

The two rikishi in Makushita left back for matches with sekitori if needed on Days 14 and 15 if there were an odd number of sekitori were not needed Day 14, and they didn't have the same record (or perhaps already fought or were in the same heya?  I'm not bothering to check), so they wouldn't normally face each other and thus both were paired up into Juryo.

Kotokuzan and Daishoho fought on day 1.

I feel like maybe Takayasu was a little too good at learning everything Araiso had to teach him. 

Edit: To be clear, I'm rooting for Takayasu to come from behind and win this. But I really don't expect it to happen. 

Edited by Benevolance
  • Haha 1