Kintamayama

March basho 2021

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Exactly a year from now? One yokozuna, two ozeki, and one ozekiwake or kadoban

Without putting names to it that's a very conservative guess.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lackmaker said:
9 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Exactly a year from now? One yokozuna, two ozeki, and one ozekiwake or kadoban

Without putting names to it that's a very conservative guess.

Terunofuji: 75% yokozuna, 25% ozeki.

Asanoyama: 25% yokozuna, 75% ozeki

Shodai/Takakeisho: 60% ozeki, 35% ozekiwake/kadoban, 5% no longer ozeki

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Djihi said:

Asanoyama vs Terunofuji is becoming an interesting rivalry.

Really? As far as I'm concerned, an "interesting rivalry" involves both parties winning once in a while.

29 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The killer is when you get ahead of yourself, and take winning for granted.

Au contraire. What gents like Takayasu (and many others) are lacking is unquestionable confidence. Even the tiniest moment of doubt will lead to results like the last two. Veni, vidi, vici, but in future tense.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Really? As far as I'm concerned, an "interesting rivalry" involves both parties winning once in a while.

While it is one-sided, a rivalry doesn't have to be even steven to be interesting. A great rivalry might aswell be about one guy finally overcoming his rival. Asanoyama vs Terunofuji has interesting Yotsu-matches and it will be interesting to see if Asanoyama can overcome Terunofuji at once. 

Terunofuji has 35 wins in the last 3 basho as either komusubi or sekiwake. The only better figures are:

37 wins: Hokutenyu (1983), Wakanohana (1993)

36 wins: Terukuni (1940-1), Taiho (1960), Hokutoumi (1986), Kotoosho (2005)

The 35 win group includes Chiyonofuji,  Takanohana',  Hakuho and Harumafuji.

And of, course every single one of the 35+ group made ozeki next basho.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=3&sum_wins=35&form1_rank=k, s&form2_rank=k, s&form3_rank=k, s

1 minute ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Terunofuji has 35 wins in the last 3 basho as either komusubi or sekiwake. The only better figures are:

37 wins: Hokutenyu (1983), Wakanohana (1993)

36 wins: Terukuni (1940-1), Taiho (1960), Hokutoumi (1986), Kotoosho (2005)

The 35 win group includes Chiyonofuji,  Takanohana',  Hakuho and Harumafuji.

And of, course every single one of the 35+ group made ozeki next basho.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=3&sum_wins=35&form1_rank=k, s&form2_rank=k, s&form3_rank=k, s

Not to mention Terunofuji also seems to have equalled most of them in acquiring one junyusho and a doten. That's easily better than half of them.

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Not to mention Terunofuji also seems to have equalled most of them in acquiring one junyusho and a doten. That's easily better than half of them.

And he’s guaranteed at least a doten this time. The only person with a JY/D in every basho on their run is... Kotooshu?

2 minutes ago, ViscountessNivlac said:
6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

And he’s guaranteed at least a doten this time. The only person with a JY/D in every basho on their run is... Kotooshu?

Good point. It looks like it; the question is how a JY-D-D stackup against a Y-D (Wakanohana) or a Y-JY. 

I think we're also agreed that he is absolutely guaranteed promotion if he wins tomorrow. Do we think there's a sliver of a chance that he might not be promoted if he loses tomorrow, or has he already done more than enough?

Seriously, not promoting him would be scandalous imo. Not the biggest scandal Sumo ever had, but definitely scandalous. 

1 hour ago, Thorbjarn said:

Seriously, not promoting him would be scandalous imo. Not the biggest scandal Sumo ever had, but definitely scandalous. 

Another fun Terunofuji fact: Most wins in the last year going in to the last day of March 2021:

56: Terunofuji

47: Takayasu

46: Daieisho

45: Takakeisho, Shodai

43: Asanoyama

42: Mitakeumi, Takanosho, Hokutofuji

It's not even close. Hakuho is retiring this year. I think we all know the identity of the new boss.

• Like 4

Until he starts dropping out of tournaments during the first five days like the other ozeki have done / have had to do.

7 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Another fun Terunofuji fact: Most wins in the last year going in to the last day of March 2021:

56: Terunofuji

I would take this with a massive pinch of salt, because he's a man on a mission. He's already gone kyujo once in his second top division career, so to expect him to consistently deliver the same sort of rampages all the time is surely a bridge too far. I wouldn't be too surprised if he goes kyujo within the next two basho and/or turns in non-doubledigit results.

• Like 1

Does anybody know when was the last time when a tomoesen happened in Makuuchi? 

19 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:

Nagoya 1993, with Akebono and the Hanada brothers.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

And what about 1994 Haru? 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:

Haru 1994. Akebono, Takanonami and Takatoriki

But the last time there was more then two rikishi in a playoff was Nagoya 1996 with Akebono, Kaio, Musashimaru, Takanonami and Wakanohana.

36 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I would take this with a massive pinch of salt, because he's a man on a mission. He's already gone kyujo once in his second top division career, so to expect him to consistently deliver the same sort of rampages all the time is surely a bridge too far. I wouldn't be too surprised if he goes kyujo within the next two basho and/or turns in non-doubledigit results.

I think Terunofuji making it back to Ozeki is an amazing comeback. But with his knees he'll do well to be competitive at Ozeki and avoid kadoban so going kyujo once he has 8 wins wouldn't be a surprise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thorbjarn said:

While it is one-sided, a rivalry doesn't have to be even steven to be interesting. 

Aaargh...the influence of Hiro Morita?!! I dont think I have ever heard that expresion somewhere else, but he uses it at least once in every broadcast, if not more. Soon you will start talking about running out of real estate too...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:
17 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

And what about 1994 Haru? 

My bad.

3 minutes ago, bessantj said:

I think Terunofuji making it back to Ozeki is an amazing comeback. But with his knees he'll do well to be competitive at Ozeki and avoid kadoban so going kyujo once he has 8 wins wouldn't be a surprise.

I don't think he'll want to make too much of a habit of it, but I agree it'll happen once in a while.

• Like 1

Have they announced who is in contention for special prizes going into the final bouts? I recall in January we knew Akiseyama would receive one with a win, the September "no special prize for Wakatakakage" decision was known in advance, etc.

Technically the last makuuchi tomoe-sen took place as part of the 5-way playoff in Kyushu 1996. ;-)

1 minute ago, Sven H. said:

Have they announced who is in contention for special prizes going into the final bouts? I recall in January we knew Akiseyama would receive one with a win, the September "no special prize for Wakatakakage" decision was known in advance, etc.

This will only be deliberated tomorrow afternoon a few hours before the day's makuuchi action.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Asashosakari said:

This will only be deliberated tomorrow afternoon a few hours before the day's makuuchi action.

Excellent. Thank you for the info.

8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I don't think he'll want to make too much of a habit of it, but I agree it'll happen once in a while.

Yeah. he'll want to be winning some yushos and not just making kk. No doubt he'll have been managing his injuries outside of the bashos as well and if he does get this yusho no doubt it will give him a lot of confidence. Plus the field is very different from his first run, no Kisenosato, Kakuryu, Harumafuji or Goeido and probably little sign of Hakuho.