Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Retirees- January 2021

Is this everyone that will retire before the next basho? I know you're supposed to hand in retirement papers pretty quickly after the end of the basho, but is it possible sekitori retire before the next one?

Shori to hear that you'll have to find a new joke for the end of your lower division updates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mt fuji said:

... is it possible sekitori retire before the next one?

The normal retirement for sekitori is either an announcement in the middle of a basho or about halfway between bashos.  Sekitori announcements just after a basho are rare.

• Thanks 1

Kijuin started off as Yamashita, before becoming Kisenoyama and the Kiseoka. I was wondering about him last week.  He got close to promotion once (3-4 at ms2w, 09.2015), but never had another chance, not even got close. In style he reminded me a bit of recently promoted Bushozan. Both are rather short (170cm), heavyweights, with a leaning towards oshi-zumo.  I wish him the best of luck in whatever he tries to do.

By the way,  no Sagatsukasa. I would also expect to see Yoshiazuma and Dairaido making this list in the near future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

No Ikioi I see

This is likely not happening until his kabu is freed for an immediate takeover upon intai, I'd wager.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

No Toyohibiki. No Masunoyama. No. Shonanzakura

Retirement usually comes after injury or a precipitous drop in rank.  Neither of those apply to Shonanzakura.

• Haha 1

Don't sekitori pay cycles make it better for them to retire before a basho rather than after one? My understanding is the banzuke comes out, the rikishi gets their rank, and they get paid at that rank until the next basho. For example, Bushozan will make the big juryo money in March and April, then the next banzuke will determine his pay in May and June.

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

Don't sekitori pay cycles make it better for them to retire before a basho rather than after one? My understanding is the banzuke comes out, the rikishi gets their rank, and they get paid at that rank until the next basho. For example, Bushozan will make the big juryo money in March and April, then the next banzuke will determine his pay in May and June.

True, though I believe Juryo promotions also get the new salary from the announcement to help them pay for things like new mawashi.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sakura said:

True, though I believe Juryo promotions also get the new salary from the announcement to help them pay for things like new mawashi.

How doers the tsukebito assignment work?

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

How doers the tsukebito assignment work?

Easy, just like the schedule of a nine-man playoff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Easy, just like the schedule of a nine-man playoff.

Had the choice of confused, laugh and crying.(Scratchingchin...)  All apropos. Decided to go positive here.

Miryuzan's danpatsu-shiki - like all these days - took place at the heya with only heya members participating.

Spoiler

Commemorative group shot before the hair cutting began.

rICSE3Br_o.jpg

Not always easy to tell who's who with the facemasks, but I think this is Oho.

xYLqlgUB_o.jpg

And I think this is Mudoho.

f03LZmqb_o.jpg

Fairly sure this is Moriurara!

HHEKLY4t_o.jpg

Otake-oyakata (former Juryo Dairyu) makes the final cut.

84qtYngs_o.jpg

wxWUr1KG_o.jpg

Tsuyukusa's danpatsu-shiki took place a while back in the same circumstances.

Spoiler

First and last oichomage.

rB7IK72q_o.jpg

I think Toho is the one in the salmon pink, don't know who the cutter is but he then took over holding the tray.

AL0CrJGW_o.jpg

Toho now makes his cut.

Hm7zTAC9_o.jpg

Oho I think.

jANtmdu2_o.jpg

Otake-oyakata concludes things with the final cut.

w2pU6HrS_o.jpg

7ykuRC0i_o.jpg

pDr512If_o.jpg

Kijuin was very visible for his final basho, having served as Akiseyama's tsukebito. They were together at Nichidai during their collegiate days and joined ozumo together in 2008.

With the retirement of Takamiryu, 42-year-old Kaonishiki is the last active deshi of Takamiyama.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

With the retirement of Takamiryu, 42-year-old Kaonishiki is the last active deshi of Takamiyama.

I can't believe it never occurred to me before now that that's probably what the sideburns are all about.

• Like 1

I could've sworn I posted these at the time, but obviously not, sorry. Takamiryu's danpatsu-shiki took place after the Hatsu basho.

Spoiler

The former okamisan attended, a photo of her late husband was displayed on the table.

E23kAhYB_o.jpg

6AXOT3bI_o.jpg

The current Azumazeki-oyakata (former Komusubi Takamisakari).

TLBeiT2Z_o.jpg

The final cut was left to Takamiryu's original shisho, former Sekiwake Takamiyama.

6Yo9HHMm_o.jpg

YZg2hmuI_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

So glad to see Takamiyama! I hope he’s a bit genki-er since Ushiomaru’s death, when he could walk only with crutches.

3073CB29-B376-4726-9071-EA8CFC4AF86B.jpeg

Edited by Kenneth Minami
  • Like 1