Muhomatsu

Juryō promotions for Haru 2021

Two new, two return...

New is Takakento and Bushozan.  Returns are Ichiyamamoto and Nishikifuji. 
from NSK Twitter. 

本日、三月場所の番付編成会議を開き、以下の通り発表しました。
<新十両>貴健斗(常磐山)、武将山(ぶしょうざん、藤島)
<再十両>錦富士(伊勢ヶ濱)、一山本(二所ノ関)。

Edited by Muhomatsu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New:
Takakento - Ms1w 5-2, Tokiwayama-beya, Kumamoto, 24 years old
Bushozan - Ms2e 4-3, Fujishima-beya, Ibaraki, 25 years old

Returning:
Ichiyamamoto - Ms3w 4-3, Nishonoseki-beya, Hokkaido, 27 years old, 2nd promotion, back after 6 basho
Nishikifuji - Ms5w 6-1, Isegahama-beya, Aomori, 24 years old, 2nd promotion, back after 1 basho

I just realized Bushozan and Takakento made their debut together (as Kotaro and Mizuta).  They were two of the guys I noticed doing well in Jonidan right after their debut when I first started following sumo, along with Tsurugisho (Abiko) who was older and made it to sekitori faster, but at basically the same age as these guys.  I hadn't noticed their shikona changes whenever it was, probably from them not immediately repeating on their success in Jonidan and now taking 7 years to become sekitori.  Not that it's a bad thing; they're still young enough to have decent careers.

Bushozan went to Saitama Sakae High, the same school Goeido developed his skills at (and also Yago, Tsurugisho). I remember him drawing some attention at the early stages of his career, with 5 kachikoshi in a row leading to a promotion to makushita. He was just 19 and agile - for someone his size - with a decent attacking sumo. Soon he faded and so did my interest in him. I thought that his height (170 cm) couple with a very heavy weight would be a barrier difficult to surmount, but he has arrived.

I've taking a liking to Bushozan over the last few basho so it's good to see him in juryo now. He reminds me a bit of Takakeisho for some reason.

Also good to see Ichiyamamoto finally back as well, it's always great to see guys coming back from injury.

Seems Oho will be going back down, very disappointing after his good 6-1 showing the previous basho.

Edited by Yokozuna Hattorizakura

I think if you combined Bushozan and Takakento, you'd end up with Takakeisho.

I'm sure Oho will be back up; hopefully wrestling all 15 days against Juryo guys was a wake up call and a learning experience

From his amateur days--a couple of recognizable faces on the team

67th_gifu0049.JPG

Bushozan and Takakento are very similar! Aside from debuting in the same basho and now reaching sekitori in the same basho as noted, they both went to the cream of the crop for high school sumo programs (Saitama Sakae and Tottori Johoku--Takakento was on a very successful team with Kizakiumi), got off to fast starts with 5 straight KK, but then hit a wall in basho 6 and sputtered along for several years. They both love their oshi too. Maybe fate has tied these two together for some purpose that is far deeper than we can imagine :-D

Now, one area where they aren't equal is head-to-head: 6-1 for Bushozan

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Katooshu said:

a couple of recognizable faces on the team

Is that Shrek (Yago) on the top row?