Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Speculating Hakuho's future (split from Corona thread)

22 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I think he'll actually be happy doing his oyakata duties, such as learning the heya management ropes from Miyagino, finally coaching his deshi full time, recruiting more or joining Araiso and the PR crew popularising sumo. Maybe he'll have shimpan duties in 2 or 3 years. 

I think he will leave the Kyokai.I somehow don’t see him becoming an Oyakata. It’s just a gut feeling. I think he will do an Akebono and split the first chance he gets.

Edited by Jakusotsu

8 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think he will leave the Kyokai.I somehow don’t see him becoming an Oyakata. It’s just a gut feeling. I think he will do an Akebono and split the first chance he gets.

Wow!! With all that sweat equity involved?  What do you think he will do instead?  I can't imagine him joining puroresu.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

That's an interesting viewpoint - could you elaborate? Will Hakuho join for awhile before quitting or just straight up quit? In John Gunning's illuminating interview with Akebono, the yokozuna did mention that the glass ceiling was one of the main reasons why he quit the association, along with smaller concerns such as the fear of not being able to make a rikishi successful. I've always assumed that Hakuho would stay because: (1) he has expressed many times that he wanted to be an oyakata, (2) gave up his citizenship, even as a national icon (and son of one), something he wouldn't have to do if he did something else, (3) already has many foreign and Mongolian compatriots in the Kyokai who can support him (and maybe changing attitudes within the homegrown oyakata), (4) already has existing deshi commitments that look long-term, (5) already has quite a high successful sekitori rate and (6) as one of the greatest rikishi of all time might be looking at securing a legacy. 

Of course, it is possible that could be have changed his mind, perhaps wanted to stay with his Japanese family permanently, not have the support of foreign or Mongolian rikishi and can abandon his deshi. With access to the Kyokai, he'd have better leverage to popularise sumo beyond even the Hakuho Cup. I don't think he'll ever be rijicho, but can see him be a director or at least deputy director. 

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Wow!! With all that sweat equity involved?  What do you think he will do instead?  I can't imagine him joining puroresu.

Nah, he's not going to do puroresu. He'll probably be some business mogul if he were to quit. He already has some investments in Mongolia, and probably Japan as well, as noted by Forum members. I am willing to bet that with his investments, savings and a few lifestyle changes, Hakuho might never have to work again in his life if he so chose. 

Sorry mods if this is off topic, perhaps we can split the thread. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Why get Japanese citizenship if not to stay in the Kyokai?

49 minutes ago, Sue said:

Why did Akebono get Japanese citizenship? Things change, it’s a difficult life, not for everyone. I think it’s not for Hakuhou. But we shall see.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

He’ll go into business. He will become a rich man. I don’t see wrestling.

Isn't Hakuho already a rich man by most standards? He's had the most distinguished career in sumo history and then there's sponsorships and things like commercials he's done. I'm sure he doesn't need to do anything at this point to get by.

I'd like to think he'd want to get some time off and enjoy his freedom after ending his career as yokozuna though, rather than instantly starting up his oyakata duties.

Hakuho loves Sumo and is planning his own Heya for years  thus he WILL stay in the Sumoworld, at least as long as he gets along with the Kyokai.

12 minutes ago, Itachiyama said:

Hakuho loves Sumo

This seemingly obvious piece of information reminds me that I read about a professional tennis player who seems to actually hate playing tennis.  He's been cautioned quite a lot for his attitude.  You would think that of all people, professional athletes would be the most likely to enjoy what they're being paid to do, even if they don't enjoy the lifestyle (training, diet) that allows them to compete with the best.  This guy seemed to straight-up hate playing tennis, and only did it because he was good enough at it to make good money.

Edited by Gurowake

21 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

This seemingly obvious piece of information reminds me that I read about a professional tennis player who seems to actually hate playing tennis.  He's been cautioned quite a lot for his attitude.  You would think that of all people, professional athletes would be the most likely to enjoy what they're being paid to do, even if they don't enjoy the lifestyle (training, diet) that allows them to compete with the best.  This guy seemed to straight-up hate playing tennis, and only did it because he was good enough at it to make good money.

I haven't followed tennis for years, but I remember Andre Agassi once saying that he hated it, but was pushed into doing it by his parents.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sue said:

Then he is limited to Mongolia, and I'm sure any type of business venture there would inevitably end up involving Asashoryu. Japan has much more room to do business in relative anonymity and with the people you want.

That said I could see him setting up some detached sumo Pro-Am org outside of the kyokai. Harumafuji could be involved etc.

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

16 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I think he will leave the Kyokai

Every steak between Tel Aviv and Tokyo says not a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Every steak between Tel Aviv and Tokyo says not a chance.

You’re on. Lunch somewhere in Ryogoku this summer..we’ll need a deadline though..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 1

I've stated in my bio that my heya affiliation is soon to be Hakuho-beya, so he better get ichidai-toshiyori status and start his own heya! :-D

Edited by Hakuryuho

21 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

You’re on. Lunch somewhere in Ryogoku this summer..we’ll need a deadline though..

Thanks @Kintamayama for splitting the thread.

A deadline might prove necessary. We've got hardcore people like @Randomitsuki who will wait 11.5 years to fish the prediction receipts out of their wallets. (Laughing...)

Next on the agenda... should Hakuho set up his hypothetical beya, how do you think it will look like? Rumours are circulating that Hakuho is prowling the streets of Tokyo (it better be online or on the telecomms line) for a piece of land for the heya and wants a completely glass wall showing the keiko-ba. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea because: (1) the complete lack of privacy might unnerve some rikishi, (2) could distract them (3) might be fragile if someone impacts the wall and (4) heating bills in winter is going to be high because insulation is pretty poor. Perhaps he might draw some inspiration from Araiso's ideas of making a complex?

Of course, pure speculation, but it is a fun activity.

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Thanks @Kintamayama for splitting the thread.

A deadline might prove necessary. We've got hardcore people like @Randomitsuki who will wait 11.5 years to fish the prediction receipts out of their wallets. (Laughing...)

Next on the agenda... should Hakuho set up his hypothetical beya, how do you think it will look like? Rumours are circulating that Hakuho is prowling the streets of Tokyo (it better be online or on the telecomms line) for a piece of land for the heya and wants a completely glass wall showing the keiko-ba. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea because: (1) the complete lack of privacy might unnerve some rikishi, (2) could distract them (3) might be fragile if someone impacts the wall and (4) heating bills in winter is going to be high because insulation is pretty poor. Perhaps he might draw some inspiration from Araiso's ideas of making a complex?

Of course, pure speculation, but it is a fun activity.

I did not split the thread as I do not have that kind of power..as for the glass window- he has no intention of it remaining a heya for long as I said before. It’s going to be a chanko restaurant. Glass windows for that - good.

13 hours ago, Gurowake said:

There was a footballer at Man Utd in the 90s - I forgot who - who famously used to just pack up and go home after training and not think about football again until matchday. He didn't particularly like the game, he just happened to be good at it and could make a good living from it. We fans tend to assume everyone plays a sport for the love of it, because we'd all do it for free, but some people just consider it a job and are lucky to have the natural talent for it. MMA has plenty of guys who don't actually enjoy getting hit or hitting people, but it's something they can do which pays the bills.

15 hours ago, Itachiyama said:

Hakuho loves Sumo and is planning his own Heya for years  thus he WILL stay in the Sumoworld, at least as long as he gets along with the Kyokai.

I think this is probably the biggest reason Hakuho would leave sumo. He has a habit of annoying the leadership and I doubt that's going to stop. I don't see him having Takanohana levels of friction with the Kyokai, but he will still occasionally be the sandpaper in the Kyokai's mawashi, and it will get old enough for him to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I think this is probably the biggest reason Hakuho would leave sumo. He has a habit of annoying the leadership and I doubt that's going to stop. I don't see him having Takanohana levels of friction with the Kyokai, but he will still occasionally be the sandpaper in the Kyokai's mawashi, and it will get old enough for him to leave.

Exactement. 

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

Eh, football seems full of people who were a bit of a primadonna as players but became perfectly diplomatic coaches/executives, or vice versa had professional playing reputations and ended up not getting along with anybody in their behind the scenes jobs later on. Not everybody is a Maradona "leopard can't change its spots"-type of person, and the character requirements of successful playing versus successful coaching/managing are a lot different in most sports anyway (and even moreso in individual sports than in team sports, IMHO).

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Were you referring to Nick Kyrgios?

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

There was a footballer at Man Utd in the 90s - I forgot who - who famously used to just pack up and go home after training and not think about football again until matchday. He didn't particularly like the game, he just happened to be good at it and could make a good living from it. We fans tend to assume everyone plays a sport for the love of it, because we'd all do it for free, but some people just consider it a job and are lucky to have the natural talent for it. MMA has plenty of guys who don't actually enjoy getting hit or hitting people, but it's something they can do which pays the bills.

Another famous-ish example in some circles is Chris Kluwe, former NFL punter, who happened to be good at kicking a football. I think he was originally picked up from his high school soccer team, turned out to be good, and put enough work in to reach the pros and make some dosh.  He was a bit too politically active for the NFL, which cut his career short, and since retirement has written a few (fiction) books and used his platform to continue his activism.  

There was some baseball player near the end of his career who had this "didn't actually like playing" reputation during the brief time that I was following the sport (roughly 2004-2010). Damned if I can remember who it was now, but googling around did bring up a Reddit thread of people discussing the issue, with quite a few names mentioned. (A lot of them just of the "would have preferred a different pro sport, but was better at baseball" variety, though.)

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

There was some baseball player near the end of his career who had this "didn't actually like playing" reputation during the brief time that I was following the sport (roughly 2004-2010). Damned if I can remember who it was now, but googling around did bring up a Reddit thread of people discussing the issue, with quite a few names mentioned. (A lot of them just of the "would have preferred a different pro sport, but was better at baseball" variety, though.)

That happens a lot with multi-sport high performing athletes.  Bo Jackson and Michael Jordan come to mind.  I know of several college and high school athletes who were drafted by both the NFL and MLB.  The advantage of the NFL is that there's no minor leagues, so you play right away if you aren't cut from the team.  In American baseball you will probably go to the minor leagues (even if briefly), but (if you make it to the big leagues) the pay is better and you can expect to avoid gruesome injuries.

6 hours ago, Athenayama said:

Were you referring to Nick Kyrgios?

I think so; googling his name, I seem to have visited his Wikipedia page sometime on this computer, so that's probably him.

Edited by Gurowake