Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Speculating Hakuho's future (split from Corona thread)

I bet he'd stay just to be that sandpaper in the NSKs mawashi.

• Haha 1

I cannot see Hakuho subordinate himself as an oyakata. At least not for a long period of time.

My bet/guess would be: He will stay as Hakuho oyakata for 1-3 years leading his Hakuho stable, but as Kintamayama wrote, will soon leave for the bigger money in the free economy.

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2021 at 11:20, Kintamayama said:

You’re on. Lunch somewhere in Ryogoku this summer..we’ll need a deadline though..

Just subtly dropping here that I'm planning to be in the Ryogoku area (in Kinshicho specifically) in the summer...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

In Japan or in Mongolia?

Why not both?

1 minute ago, Benihana said:

Why not both?

I get the sense that Hakuho is not well-liked by the general public here in Japan, so I suspect he won't be getting many commercial appearance offers. 

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

I get the sense that Hakuho is not well-liked by the general public here in Japan, so I suspect he won't be getting many commercial appearance offers. 

Hey, Orson Welles wasn't a darling of the public until he started doing commercials...

Hopefully he's somewhat picky. It would be a shame to see him say "I was the best rikishi of all time. I only drink the best beer of all time. Natty Light. The yokozuna of beers."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Hey, Orson Welles wasn't a darling of the public until he started doing commercials...

It's certainly possible he will be embraced post-retirement. I also get the sense that Asashoryu is better liked now than he was while active.

But whenever I discuss sumo with with Japanese friends and acquaintances (actual sumo fans or otherwise), the inevitable response at the mention of Hakuho is a look of disapproval--along with a comment about his lack of proper hinkaku befitting a Yokozuna.  

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

In Japan or in Mongolia?

Certainly Japan.  Maybe with Softbank Otosan?