Gaijingai

Gaijingai Intai In Several Games

Recommended Posts

I've been playing sumo games since Totoro's Hoshitori and Dale Carlson's ISP back in the mid-1990's. As each new game came along I grabbed onto it. Games came and went over the 26 years, but I didn't quit any I had started playing. I have been playing 20 games the past few years (plus a sumo game I play at a bar in Cincinnati, Ohio and I live 500 miles away in Virginia!) Age is creeping up on me as well as work and my free time is disappearing quickly. Thus I am declaring intai in the following games: Sekitori Toto, Sekitori Quad, Odd Sumo, Sumo Game, Ciber Sumo, Juryo Game, and Sekitori Oracle. To me, those take the longest to enter, either pre-basho or daily. I'll still be in 13 games that I consider quickies to enter, but I'll see if I have to pare back even further in March. Since these games don't have an intai button on them, I guess that eventually I'll just slowly fade off the banzukes. Sob - what a way to go.

But - I may be back in them someday, like when I retire in 9 years (or more...I love my work, plus I can't beat my office location - only 10 steps from our kitchen).

Edited by Gaijingai
Added another sentence
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed that post. Sorry to hear that. In addition, if you're retiring only because of lack of time and not because of lack of interest I can't imagine how you must feel. Historic player leaving, huh? It makes me somewhat sad, even if I'm just a new player and don't know you.
I hope you'll find time to come back soon enough though. You never know. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2021 at 04:36, Gaijingai said:

(plus a sumo game I play at a bar in Cincinnati, Ohio and I live 500 miles away in Virginia!)

There is a sumo game run in a bar in Cincinnati, Ohio? What???? Please tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

There is a sumo game run in a bar in Cincinnati, Ohio? What???? Please tell. 

Level 1 Bar.  The game is run by the bar's General Manager, D.J. Gullette. It is fully automated and is a pre-basho game, pretty much along the lines of Rotosumo, but with no Juryo picks. If you want in next basho, contact D.J. at dj@level1bar.com  The bar gives prizes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Athenayama said:

I just noticed that post. Sorry to hear that. In addition, if you're retiring only because of lack of time and not because of lack of interest I can't imagine how you must feel. Historic player leaving, huh? It makes me somewhat sad, even if I'm just a new player and don't know you.
I hope you'll find time to come back soon enough though. You never know. :-)

I hope I find time, too. The problem will be that if I do eventually come back, I'll be started at rock bottom. All these years (decades?) I've had the advantage of starting with the first time the game  (any game) was played; thus I was always starting in Makuuchi. No lack of interest...just lack of time. I'm already REALLY missing those 7 games!! Note: The last game I will ever retire from will be my love and joy, Bench Sumo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gaijingai said:

I hope I find time, too. The problem will be that if I do eventually come back, I'll be started at rock bottom. All these years (decades?) I've had the advantage of starting with the first time the game  (any game) was played; thus I was always starting in Makuuchi. No lack of interest...just lack of time. I'm already REALLY missing those 7 games!! Note: The last game I will ever retire from will be my love and joy, Bench Sumo. 

That's true. Banzuke is merciless. Couldn't you find the time to play maybe every other basho instead of retiring completely? Hence the fall would be if not blocked (with koshos) at least lessened. And you could split the games every other basho also. I don't know, just saying.
That being said, I'm looking forward to having a (friendly) fight with you the soonest in Makuuchi at Bench Sumo. Yes, I'm coming !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh come on ! I don't allow this from fixture players like you. Keep playing Sumo Game at least ! >:-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2021 at 14:42, Gaijingai said:

I hope I find time, too. The problem will be that if I do eventually come back, I'll be started at rock bottom. All these years (decades?) I've had the advantage of starting with the first time the game  (any game) was played; thus I was always starting in Makuuchi. No lack of interest...just lack of time. I'm already REALLY missing those 7 games!! Note: The last game I will ever retire from will be my love and joy, Bench Sumo. 

As a player who played for a few years way back, quit, and is playing again, part of the fun is climbing the banzuke. Last time around I started in sandanme, spent over a year in makushita and then reached Akiseyama-like heights before life took over. This time around I am almost sad that there is no sandanme division anymore to start from. (Onthebanzuke...) (Tearsforming...) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kashunowaka said:

This time around I am almost sad that there is no sandanme division anymore to start from. (Onthebanzuke...) (Tearsforming...) 

Bad timing on your part then - you missed Bench Sumo Jonidan altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Bad timing on your part then - you missed Bench Sumo Jonidan altogether.

No, jonidan was around when I was active, I just didn't start from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/01/2021 at 13:53, Terarno said:

Oh come on ! I don't allow this from fixture players like you. Keep playing Sumo Game at least ! >:-(

That’s one of the longest games to enter each day...and one which takes a lot of thought. What I’ve never liked about the game is the time zone advantage Europe and Asia have over North America. Too many times I lost because some rikishi went kyujo at the usual announcement time, which is 1:00am where I live, and my opponent therefore put the kyujo rikishi’s opponent at the top of his choices. If you look at the daily games, many, if not most, of them have kyujo rules preventing players in better time zones from taking advantage of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought your were old enough already to be awake at 1am again. B-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2021 at 17:51, Jakusotsu said:

I thought your were old enough already to be awake at 1am again. B-)

No, that’s my son...until 4am! Then he gets up for work 4 hours later! I don’t know how he does it each Monday - Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now