Oortael

Sekitori Quad for Hatsu with so many kyujo ?

@Golynohana as, I think, you are the master of Sekitori Quad game :

Let's say everything goes somewhat right and the basho happens for 15 days ... which already would be a net positive ...

How is Quad going to be scored/handled with not enough sekitori to fill out 15 days (54 sekitori able to walk, and 60 selections needed for 15 days) ?

Do you have any recommandations ? Does the whole game goes kyujo until brighter days ?

Help me,  Goly-wan Kenobi, you are my only hope !

On the other hand, it's a fair game for everyone. You can either skip certain days, or try to get a win with 3 rikishi on some days.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

On the other hand, it's a fair game for everyone. You can either skip certain days, or try to get a win with 3 rikishi on some days.

Well, I didnt think about that ...

5 minutes ago, Oortael said:

Well, I didnt think about that ...

On the third hand - I still think that the best strategy is to pick 4 rikishi per day for as many days as possible. If you run out of rikishi after day 12, so be it. You could of course elect to skip days earlier in the basho to save your picks. Day 1 might be a good candidate for that, but other than that my feeling is that the last days are usually the hardest anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kashunowaka said:

On the third hand - I still think that the best strategy is to pick 4 rikishi per day for as many days as possible. If you run out of rikishi after day 12, so be it. You could of course elect to skip days earlier in the basho to save your picks. Day 1 might be a good candidate for that, but other than that my feeling is that the last days are usually the hardest anyway.

But why hardest? Usually at least some people use "safe" picks early in the basho, not betting on 50:50 bouts, and safe picks in the beginning are usually based on the rank and head-to-head differences. Later in basho situation includes necessity to pick whomever-remains, of course, trying to select the best possible moment even for losers. And take into account also tiebreak considerationg for yusho favourites...

It's all good.
But now as i want give up my picks I miss the torikumi for Quad and odd!
Why this?

Posted (edited)

The same issue came up in 2011 when there weren't enough sekitori to cover all 15 days of 4 picks.  You can either skip entering some days to increase your chances on other days, or pick only 3 rikishi on some days to give yourself at least a chance every day.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes, you just need to rely on the wisdom of the crowd. There is always someone smarter than oneself in the crowd. Or someone who has already been there / done that.

Thanks for the heads-up, @Gurowake and @Kashunowaka !

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

I don't know about hardest usually, but I suspect they'll be plenty hard this time, simply because the lack of available rikishi will probably mean that the committee can't do a lot of similar-record matchmaking at the end. If you're sitting on underperforming rikishi for the last few days, you just might find that they're still only facing tough opponents.

And yeah, May 2011 ended up being won with a 7-6-2 record and the kachikoshi line for the banzuke was at 5 wins. This will likely be similar.

BTW, for players who prefer to have losses over absences on their tally: You can always elect to pick absent rikishi through the alternative (banzuke-based) entry form to make a daily lineup if nobody is available in actual matches. B-)

Edited by Asashosakari