Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Makuuchi videos- January 2021- preview and days 1-8

Posted (edited)

Hatsu 2021 Pre-basho stuff:

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Kintamayama, you look great!  I can't wait to get my vaccine shot.

In the middle of your video I yelled at my dog to shut up.  This tells me that the sound quality in your video is pretty good.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Kintamayama, you look great!  I can't wait to get my vaccine shot.

You have to be careful of the side effects though. I suddenly grew a beard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Day 1 Bad day for me, lots of dumbness.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for your update @Kintamayama. It's good to see you vaccinated and fine - I hope your mother is well too. As a gardening maniac, it's also very nice to see that your mother's plants doing well. Very verdant. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

As a gardening maniac, it's also very nice to see that your mother's plants doing well. Very verdant. 

It's the gardener..

Explanation for my strange uploads. My mother, 88, is fine, still drives etc.. but broke her foot when she fell. she lives alone, so my sister and I are alternating being with her as she is temporarily incapacitated. I'm with her during the day, which of course falls on sumo time. I'm at her house, so no computer. So, again, I make do with my I-pad using imovie, which is quite cool. The subtitles are a piece of unfriendly crap though and I have to work hard just to get a simple sentence out as it remembers nothing. When I finally got everything to work, I uploaded to youtube and found to my horror that I decided that Akua beat Midorifuji. So I had to take it down, correct it, and upload it again. Upload speeds here are notoriously slow- 3 megs as opposed to 100 + megs for downloads, so a 450 mb clip can take 15 minutes to upload instead of the customary one minute. Anyway, frustrating, and in between gotta take care of my mother etc.. I'm totally overextended, as I am no spring chicken. Please feel sorry for me at your own leisure. Also, be aware, there are no head to head records this time, till I figure out how to make two rows of subtitles.. Thank you for your patients, Doctor.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 9

Don't know what the heck is going on, but I can't upload the video-only if I remove Terunofuji's bout does it work.. Looking for a workaround. In the meantime, the non- Terunofuji video: Edit-looks like Natto is having problems getting it up as well.. (Shut up..)

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

Tried all the usual tricks and schticks, but  they're not working. Really weird. It's a copyright strike by NHK but about something else-some kids' program. I really hope this isn't it..

I'm done here for now. Natto managed to upload so there is a workaround. I don't know it, so I'll go kyujo for now.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 6

3 years ago, before I knew about Mbovo, Kinta-san, Natto, and anyone else, I watched NHK Grand Sumo Highlights from a youtube channel named “Robert Mensing”. Since then, the channel was vanished.

In these recent development, and the rise of popularity of sumo worldwide, means more people watch sumo and probably these sources have rise in number of watchers. Meanwhile NHK and Abema are the only Ozumo official rights holder in Japan if not worldwide. Of course, as the right holders, they do not want their coverage got “pirated” by anyone else. As we can see by now, the “D i” channel (showed Abema’s) now is vanished and Natto’s and Kinta-san’s got warning. (As I typed this, Kinta’s day 4 video is blocked and Natto has made separate Makuuchi matches on it’s youtube channel, but Natto’s unseparated Juryo highlights is nokotta). At least (by now) Miselet’s video are still seen on it’s dailymotion and VK’s channel.

This is a very hard situation for some of us who only know Youtube as the highlights source. NSK just uploaded 1 or 2 best matches of the day (with Ura), and maybe only a little amount of people who are aware of NHK Grand Sumo Highlights on it’s website (although just makuuchi). If we want to access Abema’s sumo channel, we need VPN that can access Abema properly as many VPN got blocked by Abema.

I hope our effort on getting easier access of sumo coverage is still nokotta for years to come.

(Ps. Sorry if this will not be understandable easily, english is not my first language)

Edited by code_number3

More copyright problems today. I see Natto has resorted to uploading each bout individually. 

Hopefully the Kyokai gets the message that if NHK has to be so busy shutting down foreign people's YT videos it means there is demand for access outside Japan and they expand access. I know they won't but a boy can dream...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, code_number3 said:

I think NHK wants us to wait until 01.30jst to see the highlights on tv. Also on demand here

Thanks for that link. Fine highlights packages but crucially, not available until the next day.

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 22:36, Kintamayama said:

Well.. Missing a few but.. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

47 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Nooo... You changed the title (Laughing...)

We must remain serious at all times.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Hopefully the Kyokai gets the message that if NHK has to be so busy shutting down foreign people's YT videos it means there is demand for access outside Japan and they expand access. I know they won't but a boy can dream...

It’s more complicated than that. it’s not a copyright strike that shuts down a site. It’s an algorithm that claims some parts of a video are copyrighted. They even let you allow them to delete the copyrighted parts and then the video is posted. I still haven’t figured out what exactly triggers the claim. It’s not in the audio. I’m working on trying to discern what it is. The claim comes from a children’s show on nhk. It’s not a direct demand regarding sumo or anything. It’s an anomaly. We’ll figure it out in the end. In the meantime, the videos are missing a bout or two. Better than nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It’s more complicated than that. it’s not a copyright strike that shuts down a site. It’s an algorithm that claims some parts of a video are copyrighted. They even let you allow them to delete the copyrighted parts and then the video is posted. I still haven’t figured out what exactly triggers the claim. It’s not in the audio. I’m working on trying to discern what it is. The claim comes from a children’s show on nhk. It’s not a direct demand regarding sumo or anything. It’s an anomaly. We’ll figure it out in the end. In the meantime, the videos are missing a bout or two. Better than nothing.

Thanks for the info on how this works. I'm not a YouTuber, so I'm not up on the mechanics of these things. But, surely NHK receives some kind of notice when this happens? If they do, hopefully they realize the market is there for more coverage overseas. 

Or, could someone ask the guy in the red jacket to take it off? I saw rumors on Twitter that's what's doing it.

35 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I'm not a YouTuber, so I'm not up on the mechanics of these things. But, surely NHK receives some kind of notice when this happens? If they do, hopefully they realize the market is there for more coverage overseas. 

And what exactly do you expect NHK to do to cover that market other than the global subscription offers that actually exist already?

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

And what exactly do you expect NHK to do to cover that market other than the global subscription offers that actually exist already?

Selling the tournaments to Eurosport, like ancient times :)

18 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

More than the 20 minute broadcast NHK World puts out. That's all we get where I live without resorting to VPN trickery. Cable and satellite services here don't carry NHK-G or any other flavor of Japanese TV other than NHK World. Just put it on YouTube and monetize it somehow. YT has a paid tier. I don't know how all that works behind the scenes, but there's an opportunity for NHK and/or the NSK to make money off me...somehow.

There was a service a few years ago that sold streaming tickets to the entire basho or individual days. It was expensive but was great...it kept the streams as videos for some time so we could watch it at a normal hour for our side of the planet. It wasn't through NHK, though. I think the NSK arranged the contract. I know Abema is basically the same thing but it's not available here (officially).

Edited by Churaumi
  • Like 3