Jejima

Guess Hokutofuji's Aite January 2021

Tamawashi makes a lot of sense, but it sounds like I'm supposed to pick someone different than the other co-leaders, so let's go with

14. Endo

(I'm 17 time zones behind Japan)

15 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Tamawashi makes a lot of sense, but it sounds like I'm supposed to pick someone different than the other co-leaders, so let's go with

14. Endo

(I'm 17 time zones behind Japan)

In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker is who picked correctly most recently and counting backwards. If the tie cannot be broken then the yusho goes to the highest ranked player.

• Like 1

While I'm at it, and assuming it's not against the rules, I'm going to pencil in

15. Tamawashi

But I reserve the right to change my mind based on Day 13 results and Day 14 torikumi.

Although Gurowake's line of reasoning was a little off, his conclusion was brilliant all the same. We'll have an exciting finish with six contenders.

kuroimori (9-5)
Sakura (9-5)
Gurowake (9-5)
Reonito (9-5)
chishafuwaku (8-6)
Andonishiki (8-5-1)
Jakusotsu (7-7)
shimodahito (7-6-1)
Oshirokita (7-7)
Profomisakari (6-8)
Ryoshishokunin (5-8-1)
WAKATAKE (5-7-2)
Jejima (3-11)
Totorofuji (3-1-10)
The Kyokai (2-12)
Hakuhonofan (0-0-14)
orandashoho (0-0-14)
sahaven111 (0-0-14)

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Shodai, 2. Asanoyama, 3. Takakeisho, 4. Takanosho, 5. Terunofuji, 6. Kotoshoho, 7. Takayasu, 8. Ryuden, 9. Mitakeumi, 10. Daieisho, 11. Kagayaki, 12. Tochinoshin, 13. Tokushoryu, 14. Aoiyama

Are you all waiting for me to start the finish? Ok...

Day 15 - Tamawashi

15 - this must be my worst ever basho playing this game.

Takarafuji - to be different

15 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Although Gurowake's line of reasoning was a little off, his conclusion was brilliant all the same. We'll have an exciting finish with six contenders.

My full Makuuchi torikumi was only right about Tokushoryu-Sadanoumi, Yutakayama-Kotonowaka, Endo-Mitakeumi, Shodai-Terunofuji, and Takanosho-Okinoumi other than the match that mattered, so I'll file it under "better lucky than good".

As much as I want Tamawashi to not end up facing the same schedule as the sanyaku, I can find no other reason why he shouldn't face Hokutofuji.

15. Tamawashi

Newbie question here, but how do the final results this time translate into the rankings for the next basho? Trying to figure out the risk/reward ratio for my possible picks.

51 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

My full Makuuchi torikumi was only right about Tokushoryu-Sadanoumi, Yutakayama-Kotonowaka, Endo-Mitakeumi, Shodai-Terunofuji, and Takanosho-Okinoumi other than the match that mattered, so I'll file it under "better lucky than good".

As much as I want Tamawashi to not end up facing the same schedule as the sanyaku, I can find no other reason why he shouldn't face Hokutofuji.

15. Tamawashi

I managed to get Tamawashi-Daieisho right. 

I think Tamawashi will be the pick. There seems no good reason for it not to be. However, I've always felt like I should try to win the yusho if I have a chance. Gurowake was correct yesterday, so is in the yusho lead and kuroimori is ranked ahead of me. So, to have any chance I need to pick differently from them. They have both picked the likely Tamawashi so I will go with

15. Endo

23 hours ago, Reonito said:

While I'm at it, and assuming it's not against the rules, I'm going to pencil in

15. Tamawashi

I guess, with Endo also taken, I'll just stick with this and take the likely tie, rather than throw a Hail Mary like Ichinojo (who is hard to throw (Laughing...)).

Edited by Reonito

Final results:

What promised to be an exciting finish turned out to be a big anticlimax with yet another curveball by the Kyokai - bummer. Yokozuna Gurowake wins the yusho on tie-breaker (correct pick for day 14), congratulations!

Gurowake (9-6)
kuroimori (9-6)
Sakura (9-6)
Reonito (9-6)
chishafuwaku (8-7)
Andonishiki (8-6-1)
Jakusotsu (7-8)
shimodahito (7-7-1)
Oshirokita (7-8)
Profomisakari (6-9)
Ryoshishokunin (5-8-2)
WAKATAKE (5-7-3)
Jejima (3-12)
Totorofuji (3-1-11)
The Kyokai (3-12)
Hakuhonofan (0-0-15)
orandashoho (0-0-15)
sahaven111 (0-0-15)

Hokutofuji's aites: 1. Shodai, 2. Asanoyama, 3. Takakeisho, 4. Takanosho, 5. Terunofuji, 6. Kotoshoho, 7. Takayasu, 8. Ryuden, 9. Mitakeumi, 10. Daieisho, 11. Kagayaki, 12. Tochinoshin, 13. Tokushoryu, 14. Aoiyama, 15. Ichinojo

Yusho:
Gurowake (9-6)(Yushowinner...)

Jun-Yusho:
kuroimori (9-6)
Sakura (9-6)
Reonito (9-6)

Shukunsho:
kuroimori    5
Sakura    5
Gurowake    5
chishafuwaku    5
shimodahito    5
Oshirokita    5
Andonishiki    5
Reonito    5

Jakusotsu    3
Ryoshishokunin    3
Profomisakari    3
WAKATAKE    3
Totorofuji    3

Kantosho:
kuroimori    2
Sakura    2
Gurowake    2
Andonishiki    2
Reonito    2

Jakusotsu    3
chishafuwaku    3
Ryoshishokunin    3
Profomisakari    3
Oshirokita    3
shimodahito    4

Ginosho:
Gurowake    3
shimodahito    3
Totorofuji    3

WAKATAKE    1

Oh, and since I'm quite obviously not up to par with my peers, this was my last basho as yokozuna. (Bow...)
I'll be back where I belong: at the bottom.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Reonito said:

I guess, with Endo also taken, I'll just stick with this and take the likely tie, rather than throw a Hail Mary like Ichinojo (who is hard to throw (Laughing...)).

You should have taken the hail mary

12 hours ago, Reonito said:

Newbie question here, but how do the final results this time translate into the rankings for the next basho? Trying to figure out the risk/reward ratio for my possible picks.

You can check out this thread to see where you will likely be ranked next basho.

Huh, I thought someone in the running had Ichinojo; I guess that was just Reonito's non-pick.  I was in a similar situation the first time I played this.  I had the chance to win if I decided to go with a really outlandish pick no one else had, and the one I had in mind would have won it for me.  However, I decided to go with what I thought was most likely because of my desire at the time to go for the best average score, not the Yusho.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

kuroimori (Y1E 9-6 (Secondprize...))                  Y1 Sakura (Y1W 9-6 (Secondprize...))
Gurowake (Y2E  9-6 (Yushowinner...))           Y2  Jakusotsu (Y2W  7-8)
chishafuwaku (YO 8-7)   YO
                                                    O1 Ryoshishokunin (O1W 5-8-2)

Hakuhonofan (S1E 0-0-15)         S1  Jejima (S1W 3-12)  
shimodahito (K1E 7-7-1)     K1   orandashoho (K1W 0-0-15)
Profomisakari (M1E 6-9)       M1  WAKATAKE (M1W 5-7-3)
Oshirokita (M2E 7-8)          M2  Andonishiki (M2W  8-6-1)
The Kyokai (M3E 3-12)          M3  sahaven111 (M3W 0-0-15
Reonito (M4E 9-6 (Secondprize...))                   M4

Mae-zumo
Totorofuji (mz 3-1-11)

KK line:  7-8
OQ line:  9-6

Yusho: Gurowake (Y2E 9-6)
Jun-Yusho: kuroimori (Y1E 9-6), Sakura (Y1W 9-6), Reonito (M4W 9-6) 

Shukunsho: kuroimori, Sakura, Gurowake, chishafuwaku, shimodahito, Oshirokita, Andonishiki, Reonito  
Kantosho: kuroimori, Sakura, Gurowake, Andonishiki, Reonito
Ginosho: Gurowake, shimodahito, Totorofuji 

New banzuke for March 2021

Gurowake (Y2E  9-6)                 Y1 kuroimori (Y1E 9-6)
Sakura (Y1W 9-6)                      Y2  
                                                     YO chishafuwaku (YO 8-7)
Ryoshishokunin (O1W 5-8-2)   O1 

shimodahito (K1E 7-7-1)          S1  Reonito (M4E 9-6)   
Andonishiki (M2W  8-6-1)        K1   Oshirokita (M2E 7-8)
Profomisakari (M1E 6-9)         M1  WAKATAKE (M1W 5-7-3)
Jejima (S1W 3-12)                    M2  The Kyokai (M3E 3-12) 
Totorofuji (mz 3-1-11)              M3  

Intai 
Jakusotsu (Y2W  7-8) (Danpatsu-shiki...)

Banzuke-gai
Hakuhonofan (S1E 0-0-15)
orandashoho (K1W 0-0-15)
sahaven111 (M3W 0-0-15

Comments:
The Yokozuna trio of Gurowake, kuroimori and Sakura impressed. It is hoped that they continue to do so.
It is with sadness that we accept the intai request of Jakusotsu. We hope that he refinds his mojo, and his fights his way back up the banzuke.
Ryoshishokunin will be kadoban in March, and will need at least a KK record to keep the rank of Ozeki.

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sakura said:

You should have taken the hail mary

Went with probability over intuition (Sigh...) but at least my non-pick was on the record.