Sumo Menko Man

Golf Holes-in-one by a sumo wrestler?

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

He still is, according to sumodb. 285 kg is the largest weight ever recorded there.

Orora was 288 at the health checkup in August 2017, if EN Wikipedia is to be trusted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Orora was 288 at the health checkup in August 2017, if EN Wikipedia is to be trusted.

I think I would trust sumodb more. Much more.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nagora said:

I think I would trust sumodb more. Much more.

At the risk of getting started on a subject of professional interest (electronic evidence), how do you know that the records sumodb keeps on this particular topic (I know WP draws from the DB for a lot of other stuff) are more extensive and complete than Wikipedia?

Wikipedia backs up the claim with at least two contemporaneous cited sources and a later source: Asahi (post-intai), Nikkan Sports, and Hochi Sports (although the last link is 404). There are also a number of other reputable journalistic sources there, which at least would have done a bit more research than just Wikipedia. While the DB is a generally reliable resource, we do know its limitations. I don't believe the DB is particularly complete as regards height and weight, as I vaguely recall this being discussed about a few months back.

It's also not as if Wikipedia and the DB are in conflict about his weight in the relevant period. There's a distinction to be drawn between two sources differing, and one source simply not recording the information (as opposed to the information not existing at all, which we know not to be the case). The DB simply has no records of his weight from 2013 onwards, whereas we know for a fact that rikishi height and weight is regularly measured by the NSK. Now if Wikipedia and the DB were citing different figures (e.g. 288 v 284), then that's a matter for deeper research as to how the three sports papers obtained their figures in the first place and why the DB had had a different figure, and it would be reasonable to say that the DB is probably more correct if we got the source direct from the NSK. But in the absence of a record in the DB, I think it's safe to take the Wikipedia information here.

Edited by Seiyashi

There were many years (2015-2020) that the sumoDB was not updated with height and weight information.  Any information from other sources during this time period are going to be by definition more correct than the DB, since the DB has no data on those time periods.

• Like 1

Memory is the smoothest of all liars but I recall reading that ex-Yokozuna Tochinishiki scored an ace in his oyakata days. Might have been an obit column in Sumo World magazine

On 29/06/2021 at 16:30, Seiyashi said:

At the risk of getting started on a subject of professional interest (electronic evidence), how do you know that the records sumodb keeps on this particular topic (I know WP draws from the DB for a lot of other stuff) are more extensive and complete than Wikipedia?

I can fairly safely assume that sumodb errors that get fixed stay fixed. That's not the case for WP, which is why it's a useless source of "information" on any topic. WP is a waste of time - Google/DDG would be much more useful if it returned all those cited sources directly instead of wasting our time by proxying through a fake encyclopedia which simply rips its content from other places.

I also assume that the DB gets a lot more eyeballs on it than the Sumo entries on WP because people are using it as a DB to make claims or simply settle questions. Spotting errors is more likely under those circumstances.

1 hour ago, nagora said:

I can fairly safely assume that sumodb errors that get fixed stay fixed. That's not the case for WP, which is why it's a useless source of "information" on any topic. WP is a waste of time - Google/DDG would be much more useful if it returned all those cited sources directly instead of wasting our time by proxying through a fake encyclopedia which simply rips its content from other places.

I also assume that the DB gets a lot more eyeballs on it than the Sumo entries on WP because people are using it as a DB to make claims or simply settle questions. Spotting errors is more likely under those circumstances. 

How embarrassing for both of you if it turns out @Seiyashi is a major Sumo contributor to Wikipedia(Sigh...).

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:
2 hours ago, nagora said:

How embarrassing for both of you if it turns out @Seiyashi is a major Sumo contributor to Wikipedia(Sigh...).

All I'll say is, while I agree entirely with all of nagora's points in general, as Gurowake pointed out, height/weight data is one place where the DB does not hold itself out to be accurate. 

And no, I'm not a wikipedia editor...

• Like 1