Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kyokai special training sessions

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

On losing to Asanoyama after having his grip broken: “My bad. That’s what happens when you leave a gap between yourself and your  opponent. After all, he is an Ozeki..”,

I would say it’s “leave an opening (for your opponent)”

27 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He said that yesterday too. Why would he complain that there were too few rikishi? Why would he hint that if there were more, he would have done some sumo too? What was he expecting? Weaker rikishi? More diversity? I don't get it. Very un-Yokozuna like. Maybe someone can shed some light here.

If you're clueless @Kintamayama, I'm even more clueless. There's only a limited amount of rikishi allowed, and for that number I think the selection was plenty diverse. And it's hard to imagine a weaker available sekitori wrestling partner like Enho, but it is understandable that he: (1) doesn't represent the rikishi he will fight in general, (2) will not be in Makuuchi next basho and (3) is very tricky and could cause injury. But then again, as a Yokozuna, the folks he'll be facing (joi and up) will probably not be as weak as he would like as a recovering yokozuna. Beggars can't be choosers. My speculation is that he's rather frustrated by how bad Hakuho's results make him look and more importantly, the media questioning why he is not doing any sumo (I have seen some people questioning that online) and instead doing practices that he could easily do back in the beya. It's doubly shocking that it come from Kakuryu instead of the often rebellious Hakuho. But of course, I have no proof. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

36 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

There's only a limited amount of rikishi allowed, and for that number I think the selection was plenty diverse.

Like, whom would he have actually wanted to fight? Sadanoumi? (Scratchingchin...)

1 hour ago, Kamitsuumi said:

I would say it’s “leave an opening (for your opponent)”

I read it as a physical gap, as in putting a distance between them. But you may be right.. 

Only three participants today .Kiribayama, Hokutofuji, and Ounoshou. Kiribayama was 5-8 . “The content was good. I was able to face all types of sekitori and that was good,” he said. Last basho he was 3-12 at his highest career rank and suffered through a shoulder injury. “I couldn’t do my own sumo at all. Now I need the shoulder to heal totally. It was a great experience. After the post-basho break I’m feeling much better , my body and shoulder are better and I’m back to weight training ..” he said. “My goal for next year is to return to sanyaku and I will gambarize to that end. Keiko will bring about the confidence..” he summed.

Ounoshou was 7-7 against the other two. It was a pretty  intense session. “It was tough but we were able to go at it without resting so we were “in it” all the time.. it makes sense to train with other sekitori . That’s the whole point of the joint keiko sessions. I can try out all kinds of postures and hope my body remembers the feeling. I’m beginning to feel that the basho is near. The rest  depends on the tension of the basho and my ability to concentrate on doing my own sumo. I can only do what I can on a daily basis. I hope to be  able to prepare myself mentally from here on,” he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hokutofuji was 8-5 against the other two.”I was checking out my initial hit, trying not to be stopped and checking out how my legs followed. I tried to apply pressure on my opponent until the point where he tried to slap me down. I started training early before the last basho as well. I want to improve that,” he said, not satisfied with his current situation. “I want to concentrate on strengthening my lower body by training while concentrating on improving my first step. I had a very good year (3 kachikoshi). Shoudai and Asanoyama are already Ozeki and got yushos and I feel really irritated by that.. I want to gambarize  and pick up the slack even a bit..I want to do my thing and bloom..” he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Today, Takayasu rejoined the camp after a day (“I needed to cool my body down a bit..”) Kiribayama, Ounoshou and Hokutofuji were the other three participants. Takayasu had 22 bouts, the most among them, and won 16. “Last day, I was able to end it on a high note.. Not many opportunities to face guys from other heyas these days so this was good. I don’t know what the future holds, but we should be able to do this more”,  he said. He plans on training at his heya with ex-Kisenosato, Araiso Oyakata. “I have already asked him to agree to train with me . I hope to do some fierce keiko with him and prepare for the coming basho. Although he retired a while ago he is still astoundingly strong and is a formidable opponent. I would like him to help me out as there aren’t many others I can seriously face at the heya and I am lucky enough to have him..” he added. His wife is expecting their first child in February. “It’s a great inspiration for me so I am totally looking forward to that. “ he said. His foremost wish for the new year is to finally win his first yusho. “That’s number one on my list. I want to be involved in the yusho race till the last day.. if I don’t make the basho interesting the results will not follow..” he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Kiribayama faced Takayasu and Ounoshou for 7 bouts and won two. He was there for all six days. “I gave it all I had till the end and I think it was good keiko. I’m still young so my body is totally holding up, no problem.” He was 1-4 against Takayasu. “Nothing to discuss here.. I have to grab that mawashi and strengthen my own sumo. It’s been a good lesson, “ he said. He is Ounoshou’s classmate. “I definitely don’t want to lose to him..” he said. He is also the same age as Takakeishou. “He is my age so I’ll train hard and try not to lose to him as well..” he summed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks nearly the same as last basho's training session photo, the only difference seems to be Kakuryu in it