Yubinhaad

Kakuryu Citizenship

I can't post a screenshot as I'm using my phone, but Kakuryu is now a Japanese citizen. He's the first entry in the third column in this PDF.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

I feel so happy for Kakuryu now that he has finally received his long awaited good news. Intai retirement is imminent, IMHO.

• Like 1

I looked at that PDF and was struck by how odd all the characters looked.  Was this even Japanese?  Yes, but the image loaded sideways.  I can tell right away when it's in English, but when it happens to Japanese I tend to mentally fumble a bit.

It even switches formatting!  Goes from traditional Japanese top to bottom then right to left to western left to right then top to bottom, and when it does so the orientation of the writing changes too so that the traditional style runs the same way, but with characters rotated.  I take it it's a normal way of doing things?  Looks very odd to me.

Edited by Gurowake

This is good news.

And are we taking bets on whether Kakuryu mounts the dohyo one last time? My money is that he retires before January. 

1 minute ago, Benevolance said:

And are we taking bets on whether Kakuryu mounts the dohyo one last time? My money is that he retires before January. 

I think he at least starts the basho, but will end up retiring by the Wednesday following the basho regardless of how he does.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I think he at least starts the basho, but will end up retiring by the Wednesday following the basho regardless of how he does.

My sentiments, too.  No Yokozuna since before 1960 has retired after two 0-0-15 basho without at least attempting one more.  Pride alone would make him go out there for a few matches, barring an inability to climb the dohyo.  At the very least it tells the public why he can't continue.

It's great news for sure. I feel like in Kakuryu we have the most likely candidate for the first foreign-born rijicho. 

Not that it WILL happen, but he seems to have the right blend of rank and respect of all peers/elders. Who knows what the future will actually bring, obviously.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Saw this on Tachiai. Just can't believe it's finally happened.

https://tachiai.org/2020/12/10/kakuryu-acquires-japanese-citizenship/

Also on Nikkan

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202012100000083.html

January is going to be his last hurrah, unless he wins the yusho

(Zabutonflying...)YES! KAKURYU GOT HIS CITIZENSHIP!!! WOOHOOO!

I think he will retire after this basho, but it's not necessarily because of his pride, but also because he wants fans to see him one last time. Once he does retire, is Hakuho all that's left of the old guard in Makuuchi (of course Shohozan counts, but he is in Juryo and does Tamawashi count?)?

As a Kakuryu fan, having assurance that I'll get to see him as an oyakata is absolutely fantastic. I'm so so glad that this is not the last of him after all. He has so much to offer. He mused in a news article that he just wanted something to go right for him once. Well, it has. 

Sakahoko smiles from Heaven. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

Great news!

Btw, is Kakuryu changing his real (legal) name like Hakuho?

The PDF gives the Katakana form of his Mongolian name; so short answer I suppose is I'm not sure; but it appears not.

I’m stepping on the bus that says he’ll appear in January and then retire. Happy to hear that he finally got the citizenship. 

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Once he does retire, is Hakuho all that's left of the old guard in Makuuchi (of course Shohozan counts, but he is in Juryo and does Tamawashi count?)?

Perhaps surprisingly, Sadanoumi has the oldest Hatsu dohyo in Makuuchi after the two Yokozuna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

January is going to be his last hurrah, unless he wins the yusho

I think even if he wins the yusho, he'll retire in style rather than carry on. He's not Hakuho chasing a moving target; he's been dropping hints ever since he moved to Michinoku that he wants to retire. IMO, had he had his citizenship when Izutsu died, he would have retired and succeeded him on the spot.

1 hour ago, Houmanumi said:
1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

Great news!

Btw, is Kakuryu changing his real (legal) name like Hakuho?

The PDF gives the Katakana form of his Mongolian name; so short answer I suppose is I'm not sure; but it appears not.

Most of the names listed on the PDF from what I can see are foreign names (the names in kanji are more typical of Chinese rather than Japanese names). I don't believe it's a requirement to change your name until you get the citizenship, so there would be no reason why every prospective citizen would change their name preemptively. 

The question is what name he will take. He has no Japanese wife so the Takamiyama route is out (taking Watanabe from his wife's surname and keeping Daigoro from his shikona). I don't think he has the same cojones as Hakuho to take his full shikona as his name. He might do the Tomozuna - take Fukuzono from Izutsu's surname and keep Rikisaburo from his shikona for Fukuzono Rikisaburo. That's especially meaningful since Rikisaburo seems to have some connection to Izutsu-heya; Terao briefly went by Genjiyama Rikisaburo back in the day. The only problem is taking the Fukuzono name sort of requires some degree of agreement (or at least no disagreement) both from the old Izutsu okamisan as well as Shikoroyama; presumably Kakuryu's on good terms with the okamisan but I'm not sure what Terao's reaction would be if the okamisan were to, say, adopt Kakuryu. I think he would have been ok with it at some point but I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Edited by Seiyashi

2 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Once he does retire, is Hakuho all that's left of the old guard in Makuuchi (of course Shohozan counts, but he is in Juryo and does Tamawashi count?)?

Okinoumi too.  Born in 1985, so basically the same age as the Yokozunas.  He's been a fairly regular (if not steady) joi participant the entire time I've watched sumo.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 3

Active rikishi, 35 y.o. or older, 50 or more basho in Makuuchi:

Hakuho, Kakuryu, Okinoumi, Tamawashi, Shohozan, Toyohibiki.

Did I miss anyone?

• Like 1

Yes! That must be a huge weight off the shoulders. It is off mine.

I would've been happy for him whatever path of post-sumo life he chose for himself, but it's great news to know he'll be around as an oyakata. He's been showing more flair to that role since the move to Michinoku.

• Like 1

Delighted for Kakuryu. From what I've seen and read, he seems a thoughtful and intelligent kind of chap from an academic family background. Perhaps these traits, along with his undoubted sumo skill and knowledge will make him an excellent coach and someone who can represent sumo going forward into the future. Well done Kakuryu.

Really happy for him! I think he'll retire after January no matter what happens, but he'll at least try to make one last good showing.

This is great news, I am so happy for him!!!!!  I can imagine the MASSIVE relief he must feel now and it is great that he will be able to take over the kabu and become oyakata. That's so nice!

He can now train in peace to step on the dohyo for Hatsu and then retire. Good!

Yokozuna Kakuryuu has finally obtained Japanese citizenship after a grueling battle with bureaucracy. "Great. That was on my mind lately..It took a while and I feel I have finally achieved this. My main source of worries has now vanished so I can now concentrate on sumo. I was thinking of a Japanese real name to assume, but was told I can keep my Mongolian name, so that's what will happen," he said. It took two and a half years to finalize. "I came to Japan when I was 16 and all I know is sumo and all I am is thanks to sumo. I want to show my gratitude by giving back to the sumo world. I want to bring up the best rikishi of the next generation. I haven't decided if I will open my own heya yet. For now, I'm just glad this is over with.." he added. "The rijicho has asked me to gambarize next basho, And I shall!" he summed. He can now remain in the Kyokai as an Oyakata after he retires. He will be the fourth foreign-born Yokozuna to acquire Japanese citizenship after Akebono, Musashimaru, and Hakuhou. In addition to holding Japanese citizenship, the qualifications  for establishing a new heya are:
  1. Yokozuna/Ozeki experience
  2. More than 25 bashos in Sanyaku
  3. At least 60 Makuuchi bashos
Qualifications for taking over a heya:
  1. 12 Makuuchi bashos
  2. 20 Juryo bashos
Qualifications for being a coach at a heya:
  1. Komusubi experience at least
  2. More than 20 bashos in Makuuchi
  3. 30 bashos as a sekitori
After retirement , a Yokozuna can continue using his shikona for five years, and an Ozeki  for three years.

Feel free to correct any errors because I'm not myself.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

40 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:
qualifications  for establishing a new heya are:
  1. Yokozuna/Ozeki experience
  2. More than 25 bashos in Sanyaku
  3. At least 60 Makuuchi bashos
  1. 12 Makuuchi bashos
  2. 20 Juryo bashos
Qualifications for being a coach at a heya:
  1. Komusubi experience at least
  2. More than 20 bashos in Makuuchi
  3. 30 bashos as a sekitori

You should probably have presented the last two in the opposite order.  You can retire and become an oyakata in general with the 3rd set of requirements, but if you meet the second set, which are lower than the 3rd, you can retire directly into the role of shisho.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:
  1. 12 Makuuchi bashos
  2. 20 Juryo bashos

I suppose extra Makuuchi bashos do count as Juryo bashos too? Like, someone with 31 makuuchi bashos and 1 juryo would qualify?

Edited by Bombur
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bombur said:

I suppose extra Makuuchi bashos do count as Juryo bashos too? Like, someone with 31 makuuchi bashos and 1 juryo would qualify?

I think it's or or. 

• Thanks 1