Sign in to follow this  
code_number3

New Juryo, new shikona (split from Promotion discussion)

10 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Correct, it's 王鵬 (おうほう).

Shiraishi is now Tohakuryu, 東白龍 (とうはくりゅう).

Thanks for the info

I just finished my night shift and thought Shiraishi is Tohakuho 東白鵬 (Dribbling...)

Confirmation

Shin-juryo: Naya -> Ōhō, Shiraishi -> Tōhakuryū

Sai-juryo: Yago, Ryuko

Edited by code_number3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

Congratulations to Naya for his juryo promotion and name change! It does sound a little funny, but Ōho is actually a very thoughtful name. It means "King Phoenix", but the word Ō is another pronunciation of Dai/Tai (which means big), refrencing his grandfather Taiho. Welcome to sekitori life, Ōho! 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Congratulations to Naya for his juryo promotion and name change! It does sound a little funny, but Ōho is actually a very thoughtful name. It means "King Phoenix", but the word Ō is another pronunciation of Dai/Tai (which means big), refrencing his grandfather Taiho. Welcome to sekitori life, Ōho! 

That connection is clearly there, but I should point out that the kana representation of the "Ō" pronunciation of 王 is おう while the kana representation for the "Ō" pronunciation of is おお.  I've heard conflicting reports on whether these two are actually pronounced the same.  It was presumably different some time in the past, but has now mostly been lost.  Maybe there's differences in some dialects?

• Thanks 1

Aha, we have to look forward to the endless jokes now: Oho, he lost again, Oho, he finally made it to makuuchi - oh yeah

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Gurowake said:

That connection is clearly there, but I should point out that the kana representation of the "Ō" pronunciation of 王 is おう while the kana representation for the "Ō" pronunciation of is おお.  I've heard conflicting reports on whether these two are actually pronounced the same.  It was presumably different some time in the past, but has now mostly been lost.  Maybe there's differences in some dialects?

Or it could just very well be a pun - I think Japanese often incorporate puns into their jokes. Of course, a shikona is not often a joke, but it does often have witty meanings. It seems too coincidental to be otherwise. 

Shiraishi keeps his  白  kanji but changes the reading. He adds 東 as he's from Tokyo. And he adds 龍  because dragons are cool.

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Shiraishi keeps his  白  kanji but changes the reading. He adds 東 as he's from Tokyo. And he adds 龍  because dragons are cool.

I think this 東 also comes from Tamanoi’s naming. Like Azumaryu and Fujiazuma. Yea dragons are cool!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

I think this 東 also comes from Tamanoi’s naming. Like Azumaryu and Fujiazuma. Yea dragons are cool!

I bet I'd have spotted that if they had used the "azuma" reading, but I'm glad they didn't as "Azumahakuryu" would have have been a bit of a mouthful for Westerners.

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Aha, we have to look forward to the endless jokes now: Oho, he lost again, Oho, he finally made it to makuuchi - oh yeah

Naya...

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Naya...

Der ist gut, but requires German skill

(sorry, not good)

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 01:28, Yubinhaad said:

Correct, it's 王鵬 (おうほう).

Shiraishi is now Tohakuryu, 東白龍 (とうはくりゅう).

Maybe together they'll get to 44 yusho.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

Maybe together they'll get to 44 yusho.

This pun is so bad (good?) that I don’t even read Japanese and I understand it.

On 30/11/2020 at 16:32, Kyokufuji said:

This pun is so bad (good?) that I don’t even read Japanese and I understand it.

Source: https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/202012030000921.html

Ōho's name being somewhat a pun has been confirmed. See he and Otake Oyakata's comments:

Ōho (former Naya): "I wanted to inherit my grandfather's name "Taiho", but I can't use it as it was an Oyakata name. When I was little and saw Grandpa's sumo, I thought it was very cool. It's still very cool. I am glad for the attention [and asked frequently about my grandfather] I do my best to not be arrogant and treat it like it's no big deal." 

Otake Oyakata: "I gave a similar name - the "o" instead of "dai". 

Aha! That must be why they don't want to make more ichidai toshiyori.  It would cause a gradual depletion of the pool of names available for wrestlers.  It might matter in 20,000 years you know.

21 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Aha! That must be why they don't want to make more ichidai toshiyori.  It would cause a gradual depletion of the pool of names available for wrestlers.  It might matter in 20,000 years you know.

To be fair though, using a name that was ichidai toshiyori is probably more of a curse than a blessing. The weight of expectation is going to be massive. I pity the next Hakuho unless that guy can win 66 titles or something. 

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

To be fair though, using a name that was ichidai toshiyori is probably more of a curse than a blessing. The weight of expectation is going to be massive. I pity the next Hakuho unless that guy can win 66 titles or something. 

I don't believe the shikona has to have become ichidai toshiyori to be 'untouchable'. I mean, someone's going to have to be very special before Kokonoe dishes out Chiyonofuji again, aren't they?

2 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I don't believe the shikona has to have become ichidai toshiyori to be 'untouchable'. I mean, someone's going to have to be very special before Kokonoe dishes out Chiyonofuji again, aren't they?

Considering Chiyonofuji was offered ichidai toshiyori, I don't think that's a particularly good counterexample. But I think you do get the underlying point that ichidai toshiyori are offered for a reason because the holder was the greatest of the greats, and if a holder of a shikona performs to that level, even if it wasn't actually ichidai toshiyori, it'd be a supremely tough act to follow. The pressure to follow that act is what I meant when I said taking up an ichidai-class shikona would be more a curse than a blessing. The only other example I can immediately think of is Asashoryu, but then that shikona might not be reusable either thanks to the infamy of its holder, less so the yusho count.

I think there's likely to be a degree of expectation with any inherited shikona, giving it a double-edge. 

But maybe that's not the way rikishi think about it. After all, some shikona seem to be used as incentives: reach x rank and you can have y shikona. Possibly not the best examples, but the Hanada brothers had to prove themselves before they were permitted to use the prestigious family shikona of Wakanohana and Takanohana.