Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Hatsu 2021

Shikoroyama still looks awful, but that could be lighting.

3 hours ago, yohcun said:

You aren’t imagining it - he didn’t look very well in the commentating booth a basho or two ago either. 

He rather suddenly shed some responsibilities a year or two ago. He quit the shimpan duty and vanished from the news for a couple months. I think he had gotten reprimanded for something like falling asleep on shimpan duty? Anyone else remember that or am I confusing him with someone else?

I finally beat the search function by yorikiri. It was during a basho in 2017, he pulled out due to heart arrhythmia. So...my bad. Maybe he's having heart issues? Did his brothers die of heart trouble or cancer? I already had my bout with the search function today.

Posted (edited)

One each then, sadly. Hopefully it's just crap lighting. I remember watching him take tickets at the gates of the Kokugikan, he was the only oyakata there that seemed to enjoy being there and bantering with the fans. 

Edited by Churaumi
Not that the others hate fans, they were just all business at the time

Posted (edited)

Source: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/cc836df97db8ee4b96f1358fc9b2f17a16ef8a7d (Hokkoku Shimbun via Yahoo News) 

JYJAMSB_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

The banner means, “To be reborn from the dead”. Enho’s calligraphy is not bad at all!  

A 5 MK streak and the worst performance of his career has landed Enho in Juryo for the first time in 10 basho. Undoubtedly, this has worried many fans, like myself. Nevertheless, just as he has demonstrated in his last substantial news report, the pint-sized rikishi remained confident and reaffirmed his fighting spirit with a banner, which he wrote with a serious expression. Enho’s addressed his woes in a latest news report. 

“I’ll do my best to return to Makuuchi in 1 basho and rejuvenate my hometown. If you don’t write [the words] with all your heart you wouldn’t understand.

2020 was the most disappointing year for me because I couldn’t do my own sumo wrestling. I thought the words of rebirth were appropriate as I fell to Juryo. I want to show that I’m still burning. Enho Akira is not dead yet.

My neck hurt so much I awoke from my sleep every 2 hours. My wrist hurt so much I couldn’t grab anything and I didn’t have much grip strength. To be honest, I often only won as much as 3 wins. It’s been a year of trials and tribulations. However, I feel I haven’t lost my energy because I felt that I could have done well in November if I hadn’t been injured. The picture book “Enho Akira - Small Burning Soldier” released by Hokkoku Shimbun has motivated me. If I healed my injuries, I will definitely win. I want to believe that as I step on the dohyo.

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

The banner means, “To be reborn from the dead”. Enho’s calligraphy is not bad at all!  

Nice calligraphy, but I shuddered at the "die" word. 1) unauspicious for a new year and 2) yeah it's been a bad year, but it's not as if he dropped down to jonidan thanks to injury.....

Re Shikoroyama - I haven't seen anyone mention it, but what's with the new bald haircut? And is it medically related? It turned up about the time he started looking appalling on camera.

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Nice calligraphy, but I shuddered at the "die" word. 1) unauspicious for a new year and 2) yeah it's been a bad year, but it's not as if he dropped down to jonidan thanks to injury.....

Re Shikoroyama - I haven't seen anyone mention it, but what's with the new bald haircut? And is it medically related? It turned up about the time he started looking appalling on camera.

It's been mentioned before but rumors are floating that he has been ill, although I've yet to hear any details.

One year ago in January he took my ticket at the Kokugikan sporting a thick mop of hair. 

The hair issue leads one to think perhaps he's battling some kind of cancer, though let's hope it's just natural balding with age. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, yohcun said:

I wrote about that last basho. He looks very ill.

New Juryo Ouhou trained at home today. He resumed training yesterday after taking a break from December 31st. He had about 40 bouts today. “I did them all at once.. I am thankful that I haven’t been injured or sick or kyujo and that makes me feel good.. I’m still a long way from being totally ready but I’m on the right track. I think I can do well if I continue like this,” he said. He has gained some weight from the 175 kilograms he was last basho. “I feel I’m moving better than before so the weight increase seems to be for the better, “ he added. He takes a daily nap of one hour and sleeps eight hours a night. He received some encouraging words from Takakeishou, being his former tsukebito and all. “I’m grateful he has noticed me and it has heightened my spirit. I want to become someone who can tell someone to gambarize and to be told I lifted his spirit,” he said. “I want to do my sumo for the 15 days and have people saying  ‘this Ouhou guy does good sumo..’ Ouhou sumo is powerful, flexible sumo. Win or lose, I want to repeatedly show my good side  . As for the basho itself, whatever the decision spectator -wise I’ll just go out there and do it . Even if the basho  will be canceled I won’t lose my concentration, so that I’ll be ready when we return..” he summed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

It's been mentioned before but he rumors are floating that he has been ill, although I've yet to hear any details.

One year ago  this month he took my ticket at the Kokugikan and he had a thick mop of hair. 

The hair issue leads one to think perhaps he's battling some kind of cancer, though let's just hope it's just natural balding with age

Yeah, I was wondering if the haircut was related to those rumours. Looks ill is one thing but no one from Shikoroyama beya has come out to confirm and deny it. On the other hand, it could possibly just be the cumulative psychological stress from having both his brothers die in quick succession. It's been a rough year even without the pandemic and his deshi's shenanigans.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The downward curving stroke of the "death" character is quite fitting and especially frightful. With calligraphy like that, Enho would have been a fantastic gyoji too, in another life. 

As I've said before, it's very hard to imagine anyone having a worse time than Shikoroyama. Sakahoko has passed not even a year ago and his star deshi is currently serving punishment. Kakuryu comes somewhat close, and even he is somewhat related.

P.S. In brighter news, now that I'm back on the computer, I've realised that I am now a sekitori! I will repay my heya, oyakata and hometown and do them proud by gambarising and doing my own brand of sumo. Now, where is that tsukebito... (Zabutonflying...)

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Churaumi said:

One each then, sadly. Hopefully it's just crap lighting. I remember watching him take tickets at the gates of the Kokugikan, he was the only oyakata there that seemed to enjoy being there and bantering with the fans. 

And the queue just on his side of the booth dwarfed the other oyakata.

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

P.S. In brighter news, now that I'm back on the computer, I've realised that I am now a sekitori! I will repay my heya, oyakata and hometown and do them proud by gambarising and doing my own brand of sumo. Now, where is that tsukebito... (Zabutonflying...)

Thought you were still going to serve me after your promotion, ala Tomokaze. 

4 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

The downward curving stroke of the "death" character is quite fitting and especially frightful. With calligraphy like that, Enho would have been a fantastic gyoji too, in another life.

That was the one weak spot in the whole thing though. The rest of the calligraphy was really good except that one "pie3" stroke.

8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That was the one weak spot in the whole thing though. The rest of the calligraphy was really good except that one "pie3" stroke.

Looks to me that 起死 and 回生 are written by two different people. I'd give 回生 a 10; it might have been written by Kandayu.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Looks to me that 起死 and 回生 are written by two different people. I'd give 回生 a 10; it might have been written by Kandayu.

The downward strokes in the 走 radical for 起 and in 生 are written by the same person if you look carefully. And the 生 is a bit too stretched out just as the 起. But either way, yeah it is massively impressive from Enho; one wonders if he dabbles in calligraphy in his spare time. The serifs are particularly good.

The downward strokes in the 走 radical for 起 and in 生 are written by the same person if you look carefully. And the 生 is a bit too stretched out just as the 起. But either way, yeah it is massively impressive from Enho; one wonders if he dabbles in calligraphy in his spare time. The serifs are particularly good.

They do study calligraphy in sumo school.

9 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Congratulations!  We will be calling you out for butsugari next time we have a keiko thread. Gambarize.

50 minutes ago, rhyen said:

They do study calligraphy in sumo school.

Yeah, but the quality varies massively - look at Hakkaku-beya's calligraphy (they did a similar exercise for the New Year). There was only one of them with brushwork anywhere comparable to Enho's - Okinofuji, if I remember correctly. Even their gyoji's wasn't fantastic!

With the GOAT having tested positive, the rest of Miyagino beya has taken the tests. Looks like the NSK may be a little lenient, as it looks like who is allowed to compete depends on their test results, should the basho still go on as planned. But they do plan on talking to doctors about this to see if it will be okay.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202101050000476.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ura spoke to the press today. He kept repeating the word "anxiety" a lot. How are the preparations going? "Not well, I guess. I am a bit anxious.. It's not only the knee, it's everything. Last basho it was the same, even with the nine wins. Anxiety. More anxious than self-confident. Makuuchi? Not on the horizon.." he said, always keeping in mind how his body has not held out well so far. He hasn't done any sumo yet, but this is his usual pace, they say. He won with some rare techniques last basho. "It's not like I'm telling myself to aim for this or that technique but when I feel it comes my way, I go for it. Corona virus? During these times, you can never know when and where you may contract it. It's not anyone's fault," he said. He passed the short break over the New Year reading a self-betterment book while stuffing himself with rice cakes. "I like the sugared ones and the ones with soy sauce", he explained. "I am mostly worried about my knee and am concentrating on its stability at this time," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Mitakeumi (remember him?) is 28 years old. "It was a year I'd like to forget.. I want to yusho and be promoted to Ozeki, " he declared. He did the fundamentals at the heya today. He has been working hard since January 3rd, doing 20 bouts a day, but he doesn't really have good opponents as Dewanoumi beya does not have another sekitori. "My condition? We won't know till I start.. The virus tests? I'm thinking only of myself.. I'm aiming for double digit wins," he summed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2