Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Hatsu Basho 2021 Yusho Winner

Who will win the Hatsu Basho 2021?  

22 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. The Yusho Winner will be (Name your choice in comments)

• A previous yusho winner (Hakuho, Kakuryu, Mitakeumi, Terunofuji, Takakeisho, Tochinoshin, Tamawashi, Asanoyama, Tokushoryu, Shodai)
    • A first time winner from the rising stars 18-25 (Kiribayama, Wakatakakage, Onosho, Kotoshoho, Terutsuyoshi, Meisei, Hoshoryu, Kotonowaka)
    • A first time winner that needs to mount their ozeki run soon 26-29 (Takanosho, Daieisho, Kagayaki, Hokutofuji, Tobizaru, Kotoeko, Yutakayama, Chiyoshoma)
    • A first time 30+ veteran winner to continue the streak (Takayasu, Okinoumi, Myogiryu, Takarafuji, Endo, Aoiyama, Ryuden, Sadanoumi, Kaisei, Chiyonokuni, Chiyotairyu, Akua, Shimanoumi)
    • Ichinojo will finally get his yusho after coming the closest so many times
    • Akiseyama will pull a Tokushoryu (win after promotion from Juryo)
    • Midorifuji will get the Shin-Nyumaku Yusho
  2. 2. Yusho Score?

• 15-0
    • 14-1
    • 13-2
    • 12-3
    • 11-4 (?)
    • 10-5 (?!?!)
  3. 3. Playoff? (If yes, name your pick from Q1 plus opponents, also indicate playoff score)

• No playoff
    • 2 way playoff
    • 3 way playoff
    • 4+ way playoff (If choosing this, indicate 4 or more)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/21 at 03:00

Hatsu Basho 2021 is promising to be hyped up for many different reasons, and something to look forward to for the fans. A lot of destinies could be changing in the basho too, as we could be seeing the last of yokozuna Hakuho and Kakuryu, Takakeisho could grab the tsuna, Asanoyama and Shodai fighting to keep their ozeki ranks, and Terunofuji could be looking at doing the once impossible and making the second successful repromotion to ozeki.

Since 2016, the Hatsu basho has been won by wrestlers who had never won the yusho before. Not only that, all of the past five yusho winners have all been veteran wrestlers in their 30s. Another thing is that 3 out of the five were ranked below ozeki. Will that trend continue into the new decade?

Past Hatsu winners since 2016:

2016 - Kotoshogiku (ozeki)
2017 - Kisenosato (ozeki)
2018 - Tochinoshin (M3)
2019 - Tamawashi (sekiwake)
2020 - Tokushoryu (M17, makujiri)

Please indicate in the comments who you think will win the yusho for Hatsu 2021. Will the streak continue for first time veteran yusho winners? Will a wrestler with yusho experience be victorious? Or will one of the rising stars make a statement? Also make sure to comment if you answer yes to question 3 who you think your pick from Q1 will face in the playoff, thanks!

The poll will close on January 6 PST/January 7 JST before the day 1 and 2 bouts are announced.

Edited by WAKATAKE

58 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Tak

I see 4 Taks, 1 Tok and 1 Tam listed. We also have some Hak, Kak, Wak and Hoks available. ;-)

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

I see 4 Taks, 1 Tok and 1 Tam listed. We also have some Hak, Kak, Wak and Hoks available. ;-)

:-P

Takakeisho will be the previous yusho winner, who will win next basho.

10 hours ago, just_some_guy said:

Hakuho with a 13-2, no playoff.

Same for me.

On 29/11/2020 at 15:53, sahaven111 said:

Damn it. I made the wrong picks... is there a way i can change it?

Write in the comments that way it is obvious

On 30/11/2020 at 17:49, just_some_guy said:

Hakuho with a 13-2, no playoff.

That's the same choice I made for the poll.

I'm still predicting Hakuho to win. Takakeisho and Terunofuji will have too much pressure. They may get jun yusho. Hakuho will get 14 wins. I don't think there will be a playoff.

8 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

Hak 14-1, no playoff.

Man I hope it's Takakeisho though.

My prediction and hope precisely!

So the poll is closed and the basho started. 20 of 22 respondents believe that the yusho this basho will be won by somebody who has prior yusho experience, which would snap the current Hatsu basho streak of the last five years. The two respondents who disagreed think that the streak will continue not just with somebody with no prior experience winning, but somebody who is a veteran.

13 people commented on who would win the yusho. 9 predicted the GOAT (who nobody could predict would catch Corona), two predicted Takakeisho, one person predicted Asanoyama and one predicts Akiseyama.

It is obvious no one predicts a zensho yusho, 11 predict 14-1, 7 predict 13-2, and 4 predict 12-3

17 respondents think there will be no playoff, 4 respondents think there will be a 2 way playoff, while one person thinks there will be a 3 way playoff.

Let's see how this goes!