Kintamayama

Invitation to GTB- Hatsu 2021- and RESULTS!!

Honestly I'm somewhat glad there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the komusubi number, and I wouldn't be surprised by any of the plausible choices. I'm not posting my full guess but I went down the middle and did three, promoting Daieisho but not Hokutofuji. My justification is Daieisho had a 4-2 record against sanyaku opponents last basho (compared to 1-4 for Hokutofuji). I feel like a big part of these judgement-call promotions is showing through their results that they deserve the promotion, and having a winning record against sanyaku opposition does that for me. Daieisho's also been slightly more successful at sanyaku level than Hokutofuji has (11-4 a few basho ago at K vs. Hokutofuji never having recorded a KK there). Finally, if nothing else, 3 Ks is my way of hedging my bets to avoid being too badly hurt if it's 2 or 4. But again, they could go any way with it and I wouldn't be surprised.

You guys having Midorifuji and Akiseyama so far down when I have them in the M13-14 area is definitely giving me some anxiety, though....

I went with 2 Komusubi, and put Daieisho ahead of Hokutofuji both at M1. My first draft had the 2 Juryo promotes in the bottom two spots, but then I changed my mind and moved Midorifuji up a couple rungs.

2 hours ago, Reonito said:

Given your track record, that decision on your part is making those of us who went the other way queasy (Shakinghead...)

GTB #1: Two komusubi. GTB #2: Two komusubi: GTB #7: Four komusubi. 'Nuff said. B-)

1 hour ago, Reonito said:

I feel like they've been a little less harsh with the ranks for those promoted from Juryo the last couple of banzuke. I've got Akiseyama ahead of Sadanoumi, and Midorifuji a couple of ranks higher, though I'm second-guessing that after seeing your draft @Gurowake

I went for a combination of a newbie penalty on Midorifuji (and Akiseyama more or less, too, given how long it's been) and an extension of Sadanoumi's rather remarkable banzuke luck over the years. Of course even if I do have the four komusubi right, it still hinges on the non-demotions for all the 7-8's in my version.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

I have 2 Komusubi without hesitation. I don't see a scenario of 4. But I suck at this game. As for the promotions, both at the lowest slots, Akiseyama dead last. . 

Since I said I might work out the provisional scores, I went ahead and did it. It was a little more trouble than expected though, so I don't know that I'll be doing it again!

The provisional post-Hatsu ranking - current pre-Hatsu standings in brackets. The list includes all top 20 both pre and post:

provisionalHatsu21GTBranking.png.a76464c5c677bfe7a8329d5e8865fe80.png

Players in red are kosho-absent and will keep their existing score, not get the listed provisional + Hatsu total.

Pretty tight race the whole way down. Reonito and Gurowake drop pretty decent Aki '19 scores from their records, but Gurowake's was a little better, allowing Reonito to slip by into a provisional 1st place.

Many are feeling the pain of expunging big Kyushu '19 results. Gooner loses touch with his 57-point yusho, while chishafuwaku (2nd, 54), Kobashi (3rd, 53) take a tumble as well. Atenzen and Okisuruga (tied 5th, 48) are also hit, but Okisuruga manages to hang onto a spot in the top 5.

Jemuzu will delay losing his 46-point performance by taking this basho off.

Asashosakari also loses a yusho from his record, from Aki '19, but seems untroubled by it, only losing 2 ranks.

Heading in the other direction, Seki Haruaki drops a subpar Kyushu '19 score to make a leap from 12th to 6th. Kaito provisionally debuts in 7th after obtaining a 6th score. And SHiFT drops a 99th out of 100 Kyushu '19 result to make a huge shift into 8th.

Shatsume gains some ground to round out the top 10 but will find it nigh impossible to progress further, with huge scores dropping off over the next 2 basho.

Konosato, on the other hand, loses a rather bad Kyushu '19 score to advance from 22nd to 14th, and stands to drop an even worse score off his record next basho. There's certainly a platform here from which he can assault the top 5 in the near future.

Korinokoishi is set to expunge a well-below average result as well, but it appears he'll wait to do so.

Good luck to all competing!

Edited by Kaito
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Time for another stat catch-up, like last time the missed basho are in these quote boxes, and I shall endeavour to get this edition's stats done between Christmas and New Year.

2020 JULY

Only one change to the top ten ranks after this edition. Shatsume drops out after his second two-basho stint in green, to be replaced by veteran Seki Haruaki, back for the first time in a year and a half.

Okisuruga reclaimed the #1 spot for the 10th basho in total and becomes the fourth player to reach double figures at the top of the ranks, following Susanoo, Asashosakari and Feginowaka.

Oshirokita is the 11th player to surpass 5,000 career points.

Kuroimori was absent here for the first time, ending his run of 59 consecutive basho played.

2020 AKI

Again only one change to the top ten, but quite a notable one - Pandaazuma drops out after a 23-basho stint in green, the fourth-longest in the history of the ranking system. Taking the vacant spot is Atenzan, who becomes the 108th player to make his top ten debut.

As noted by several people at the time, this edition was a low-scoring one overall. Sakura's yusho-winning score of 50 is tied for the fourth-lowest in history - we have to go back 22 years to find lower, with the game's opening four basho being won by scores of 35 (twice), 48 and 50.

Konosato is the 12th player to surpass 5,000 career points, while Heriokuno is the 14th player to play 100 GTB basho.

2020 NOVEMBER

Two changes to the top ten this time. Seki Haruaki drops out after a two-basho visit, while Atenzan departs having made his debut in green last time. Replacing them are two returnees - Pandaazuma's yusho brings him back after a single basho out, while Kobashi returns for the first time since January.

Gurowake becomes the 20th player to ascend to the #1 rank, and is also the 15th player to spend a total of 20 basho in the top ten ranks.

Frinkanohana is the 13th player to surpass 5,000 career points. Gonzaburow passes 4,000 points having fallen just one short after the previous basho. Kaiomitsuki has played 100 basho, the last 95 of which have been consecutive, the 7th-longest run.

Pandaazuma's yusho-winning score contained 10 hits - it's only the 10th yusho with double-digit hits and the first since 2015 Haru, which saw Okisuruga win with 11.

Lastly a note for @Doitsuyama - while doing the stats I noticed that while the post-Haru ranking list is present in the archive, the individual ranks are not being displayed on the player's career record pages at the moment.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Kaito said:

Since I said I might work out the provisional scores, I went ahead and did it. It was a little more trouble than expected though, so I don't know that I'll be doing it again!

Thank you! Is there an explanation somewhere of how the results are converted into these scores?

35 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Thank you! Is there an explanation somewhere of how the results are converted into these scores?

Your score for each basho is Your Total Points / The Average Total Points. Your ranking is comprised of your last 6 scores, with the most recent carrying its full weight, your 2nd most recent score * 9, your 3rd most recent score * 8, down to your 6th newest score * 5.

So for the provisional rankings, everyone's oldest score has been dropped off and the existing results have been downgraded in weight. Your provisional score + your score from this upcoming basho will equal your score on the new rankings.

• Thanks 1

My picks:

Yokozuna E: Hakuho Y1e (0-0-15)

Yokozuna W: Kakuryu Y1w (0-0-15)

Ozeki E: Takakeisho O1e (13-2)

Ozeki W: Shodai O2e (3-2-10)

Ozeki E2: Asanoyama O1w (1-2-12)

Sekiwake E: Takanoso S1w (8-7)

Sekiwake W: Terunofuji K1e (13-2)

Komusubi E: Takayasu K1w (8-7)

Komusubi W: Mitakeumi S1e (7-8)

Maegashira E: Daieisho M2w (10-5)

Maegashira W: Hokutofuji M4e (11-4)

Maegashira E2: Wakatakakage M1w (7-8)

Maegashira W2: Onosho M2e (7-8)

Maegashira E3: Takarafuji M6e (9-6)

Maegashira W3: Kotoshoho M5w (8-7)

Maegashira E4: Tochinoshin M7e (9-6)

Maegashira W4: Tamawashi M6w (8-7)

Maegashira E5: Endo M7w (8-7)

Maegashira W5: Okinoumi M3w (6-9)

Maegashira E6: Ryuden M10e (9-6)

Maegashira W6: Meisei M10w (9-6)

Maegashira E7: Tobizaru M4w (6-9)

Maegashira W7: Tokushoryu M9e (8-7)

Maegashira E8: Kagayaki M3e (5-10)

Maegashira W8: Chiyonokuni M14e (10-5)

Maegashira E9: Kiribayama M1e (3-12)

Maegashira W9: Shimanoumi M17e (11-4)

Maegashira E10: Chiyotairyu M15e (9-6)

Maegashira W10: Ichinojo M13w (8-7)

Maegashira E11: Aoiyama M8e (6-9)

Maegashira W11: Myogiryu M5e (4-11)

Maegashira E12: Akua M16w (9-6)

Maegashira W12: Kotoeko M9w (6-9)

Maegashira E13: Chiyoshoma M16e (8-7)

Maegashira W13: Terutsuyoshi M8w (5-10)

Maegashira E14: Hoshoryu M13e (7-8)

Maegashira W14: Kotonowaka M14w (7-8)

Maegashira E15: Yutakayama M12e (6-9)

Maegashira W15: Kaisei M12w (6-9)

Maegashira E16: Midorifuji J2e (10-5)

Maegashira W16: Akiseyama J1e (9-6)

Maegashira E17: Sadanoumi M11e (5-10)

Edited by Rocks

Basically wrong on everything other than the number of Komusubi and who was at each M1 position.  It's just more fuel for the "The Kyokai does what it wants and is beholden to no rules besides the obvious ones" view where it's impossible to really learn anything at all since they're not even consistent within the same banzuke.

35 :/

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

52 here. Lots of head-scratching half-rank flips, most of them of the zero-scoring N-West <-> (N+1)-East variety.

41, I think. Lots of zeroes throughout the middle.

Only 30 points this time, (fairly sure) I went with 4 komusubi (which I still feel like there should be, really can't agree with only 2 but ah well). Consign this one to the trash with the rest of 2020!

If I'd put just 2 komusubi I would have had 51 points (I think). Very irritating to have one decision ruin the entirety of my guess, 51 would have been well into kachi koshi territory and almost what Reonito scored just now. This is kind of an unusual case I guess but it does feel like a "gap" in the rules, that I can get the order of everyone mostly right but because they're all one rank out I get nothing.

Ah well, see you in February I suppose!

39 here too.disappointing given I got the 2 Ks right.  Some weird choices. Ryuden/Meisei and Yutakayama/ Kaisei split up despite matching ranks and records last basho but Akua\Chiyoshoma end up the same rank despite different records?

• Confused 1

Results are in, amid  complaints about the game rules and much door-slamming, again.  We have a first time yusho winner - Oskanohana!! Congratulations!! The Komusubi thing killed a lot of key players this time. I apologize..  15 new players, one of them in 15th place..

Milestones:

Tamanaogijima- 120th basho!! I think he has played more times than anyone else.

Andoreasu, the person who actually runs the whole show- 110th basho!!

Susanoo- 100th basho!!

Gooner- 90th basho!!

Nantonoyama - 30 bashos

Taiseiyama - 20th basho

Many thanks for playing, 126 players is very excellent. Thanks as usual to Andoreasu and Doitsuyama for without them there will be no GTB game.

To see how you did, go here. Not just yet, as it's not ready.. 

And now, on with the Ba-show!!

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Results are in, amid  complaints about the game rules and much door-slamming, again.  We have a first time yusho winner - Oskanohana!! Congratulations!! The Komusubi thing killed a lot of key players this time. I apologize.. 

I wasn't intending to complain, sorry if it came across that way; them's the rules and I was well aware of this potentially happening (see my earlier posts in this thread second guessing myself about 2 or 4 komusubi). Just having a wee public venting session, I'll direct any future complaints to the banzuke committee for making the banzuke wrong! (Protesting...)

Also yeah, the site doesn't appear to show the updated results for me either yet.

2 hours ago, Hidenotora said:

I wasn't intending to complain, sorry if it came across that way; them's the rules and I was well aware of this potentially happening (see my earlier posts in this thread second guessing myself about 2 or 4 komusubi). Just having a wee public venting session, I'll direct any future complaints to the banzuke committee for making the banzuke wrong! (Protesting...)

Also yeah, the site doesn't appear to show the updated results for me either yet.

My bad.. Forgot to upload. In a few hours. I wasn't referring to you BTW.. 

10 hours ago, Reonito said:

The site still has November results as far as I can tell.

Updated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Updated.

I cannot access http://www.dichne.com/. Checked with https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/dichne.com?proto=http&amp;www=1 and it also says the site is down. 

Edit: and now the check site says that the site is up, but I still cannot reach it. 

Edit 2: it seems to be flapping.

Edited by Kashunowaka

31 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

I cannot access http://www.dichne.com/. Checked with https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/dichne.com?proto=http&amp;www=1 and it also says the site is down. 

Edit: and now the check site says that the site is up, but I still cannot reach it. 

Edit 2: it seems to be flapping.

Is anyone else countering any problems? I'll check with the provider.

17 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

No problem here, so far. My result on the other hand .... (Laughing...)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Perhaps it's just me. I managed to get the page by other means. Quite disastrous but it seems I was not alone. (Sigh...)